Bellazon

2020 SI Swimsuit

5 hours ago, Prettyphile said:

I haven't seen that word used in forever. True fact it's my childhood nickname because as a baby whenever my parents put on music and I was in my crib I would rock back and forth and attempt a little dance. 

That is really adorable and super cool, @Prettyphile! It must have been cute to see. :D

• 2 weeks later...

OMG, I hadn't been in this topic for like months. This is finally the year that MJ has pushed her body positivity nonsense into self-parody territory.

I can't figure out if this issue is going to be the saddest or the most hilarious ever.

I will repeat again: peddling body positivity in a swimsuit issue makes about as much sense as a drug dealer promoting healthy living.

Frankly I'm surprised that not more people (not counting on here of course) have called out this bullshit.

1 hour ago, SympathysSilhouette said:

Frankly I'm surprised that not more people (not counting on here of course) have called out this bullshit.

Few actually care. Conservatives don't think anyone should be posing provocatively in swimsuits, those who would criticize it from the left don't think corporations can empower anyone, and liberals (the target audience) see it as cynical pandering -- no matter how sincere MJ might be.

Who loves it? Sponsors and partners, who get to wrap themselves in the label of vague inclusiveness at no cost; which is why the issue gets promoted on legacy platforms, but few on social media still give a shit any more; more or less the same thing Raytheon does when it sponsors Pride.

Actually, you know what, here's a theory as to why most people do not give a shit about this: the model search. It gives away how this is all arbitrary box checking of models, who are chosen because they look a certain way. "And this year we have an old one, and a bald one, and a curvy one!" The problem is, perhaps, even more about the process than the aesthetics themselves. It's all just so obviously contrived. People write off things they sense are fake. At least pageants are tournaments.

Compare with ESPN's Body Issue. ESPN's Body Issue had a bunch of different body types in it, and not all of them were stereotypical chiseled athletes. Plenty of big bodies in there. But to whatever degree anyone talked about it, nobody seemed to have the same problems with it. Why? It wasn't arbitrary. Those people are already famous for something else, and there are plenty of professional athletes who look good in different ways.

It was more of (or more easily sold as) an organic celebration of a cohort that is already diverse. It already made sense to have naked Vince Wilfork in the same magazine as naked Sue Bird. "The SI Swimsuit Issue" as a concept was always transparently a marketing scheme, for a publication that every other month was writing about baseball, and nobody has any reason to suspect that's changed.