Bellazon

The "What Are You Thinking About Right Now?" PIP

Francesca

On 28/03/2017 at 3:30 AM, Prettyphile said:

@Sanni

Cannibal Holocaust was only traumatizing if you like animals (two of which were actually killed on camera)

No, not animals.. I get sadder in movies when animals die than most characters. Hakiko (I don't if it is spelled right) broke my heart

9 hours ago, elfstone said:

Will surely cause Marilyn Monroe to roll in her grave :sick: 

lol and ew

4 hours ago, Prettyphile said:

@Limerlight  I'm so happy right now. :smile::smile::smile: Claudia, Christy, Danielle, Crystal, and Aurora are now all in contact with me! Now if I can just get in contact with Shawn/Shauna (still no idea if she's a boy or girl anymore), and Buffy!!!! 

:chicken: This is wonderful! I'm glad they replied and you'll be able to talk to em again now

Still worried about my sister :/ Nothing can do now though

2 hours ago, phenobarbie said:

Not sure they understand what anti political correctness is, actually I'm sure they don't

The fact that it's become such an amorphous concept is half the problem though, isn't it? People now throw around the term 'political correctness' every bit as flippantly as others use terms like 'racism' and 'sexism' and, in some cases, promote and condone real bigotry while they're at it.

I may not be the first to point this out, but I have come to regard this concept of anti-pc, or what I'm tempted to call  "PC scare"   as somewhawt  similar to, if not worse than the "red scare" from the previous century. What I find striking is how today's far-right is adamant in branding anything other than itself as 'the Left'. TBH something has deeply gone amiss with the political spectrum if a party like Democratic Party can be regarded Leftist :o

I like this author's analysis, specifically how the right appropriated the term that was originally used by social democrats to denigrate their staunch Marxist counterparts. Such is the case atm with all hitherto slogans of the Left, insofar as someone like Steve Bannon is a self-proclaimed Leninist :laugh:

All this points to the dearth of any serious leftist politics today  :/

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/nov/30/political-correctness-how-the-right-invented-phantom-enemy-donald-trump

Trump and his followers never defined “political correctness”, or specified who was enforcing it. They did not have to. The phrase conjured powerful forces determined to suppress inconvenient truths by policing language.

There is an obvious contradiction involved in complaining at length, to an audience of hundreds of millions of people, that you are being silenced. But this idea – that there is a set of powerful, unnamed actors, who are trying to control everything you do, right down to the words you use – is trending globally right now. Britain’s rightwing tabloids issue frequent denunciations of “political correctness gone mad” and rail against the smug hypocrisy of the “metropolitan elite”. In Germany, conservative journalists and politicians are making similar complaints: after the assaults on women in Cologne last New Year’s Eve, for instance, the chief of police Rainer Wendt said that leftists pressuring officers to be politisch korrekt had prevented them from doing their jobs. In France, Marine Le Pen of the Front National has condemned more traditional conservatives as “paralysed by their fear of confronting political correctness”.

Trump’s incessant repetition of the phrase has led many writers since the election to argue that the secret to his victory was a backlash against excessive “political correctness”. Some have argued that Hillary Clinton failed because she was too invested in that close relative of political correctness, “identity politics”. But upon closer examination, “political correctness” becomes an impossibly slippery concept. The term is what Ancient Greek rhetoricians would have called an “exonym”: a term for another group, which signals that the speaker does not belong to it. Nobody ever describes themselves as “politically correct”. The phrase is only ever an accusation.

If you say that something is technically correct, you are suggesting that it is wrong – the adverb before “correct” implies a “but”. However, to say that a statement is politically correct hints at something more insidious. Namely, that the speaker is acting in bad faith. He or she has ulterior motives, and is hiding the truth in order to advance an agenda or to signal moral superiority. To say that someone is being “politically correct” discredits them twice. First, they are wrong. Second, and more damningly, they know it.

If you go looking for the origins of the phrase, it becomes clear that there is no neat history of political correctness. There have only been campaigns against something called “political correctness”. For 25 years, invoking this vague and ever-shifting enemy has been a favourite tactic of the right. Opposition to political correctness has proved itself a highly effective form of crypto-politics. It transforms the political landscape by acting as if it is not political at all. Trump is the deftest practitioner of this strategy yet.

^ That analysis is really good. I'll read the whole article later; looks really interesting.

1 hour ago, Michael* said:

The fact that it's become such an amorphous concept is half the problem though, isn't it? People now throw around the term 'political correctness' every bit as flippantly as others use terms like 'racism' and 'sexism' and, in some cases, promote and condone real bigotry while they're at it.

54 minutes ago, elfstone said:

I may not be the first to point this out, but I have come to regard this concept of anti-pc, or what I'm tempted to call  "PC scare"   as somewhawt  similar to, if not worse than the "red scare" from the previous century. What I find striking is how today's far-right is adamant in branding anything other than itself as 'the Left'. TBH something has deeply gone amiss with the political spectrum if a party like Democratic Party can be regarded Leftist :o

Completely agree with both.

And the concept the US seems to currently have about what the "left" part of the spectrum is seems so distorted indeed. Especially when compared to what happens here in Latin America where you have actual (and very strong) left parties.

9 hours ago, Michael* said:

"Political correctness" to me (as an American) is essentially "contemporary morality".  It is fluid, and dynamic.   It establishes limits in discourse.  eg. It is considered immoral to call blacks sub-humans but in 1800s it was a politically correct belief.

What I have noticed in western politics is how the 2006-2008 global finance crisis had literally shattered the old left-right paradigm, with the establishment right wing drifting further to the right along with a decentralized, non-establishment emergence of far right views from pre-World War II.  These concepts (eg. from fascism or far right thinkers like Spengler. or pre-Goldwater GOP) were  previously considered so immoral as to be unthinkable/politically incorrect.  These views do not exist in the form of the political battles of the 1920s-1930s but modified for modern consumption.

Obama's America also drifted further leftward (with social groups like transgender getting a voice), moving the definition of political correctness to the left..., but its overall change has not nearly as far as the radical as what has happened to the right.  The left wing dreams  of the 1960s-1990s were thrusted in the Obama years.

21 hours ago, elfstone said:

Yes yes yes agree completely. 

23 hours ago, elfstone said:

I like this author's analysis, specifically how the right appropriated the term that was originally used by social democrats to denigrate their staunch Marxist counterparts. Such is the case atm with all hitherto slogans of the Left, insofar as someone like Steve Bannon is a self-proclaimed Leninist :laugh:

All this points to the dearth of any serious leftist politics today  :/

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/nov/30/political-correctness-how-the-right-invented-phantom-enemy-donald-trump

The guardian is a left of center paper, like most mainstream media. 

I don't think you fully understand because you are part of the borg continum. :D It's how adults have lost faith in the political operations of the mainstream media and kind of grasp at whatever else is around. (the disorganized right )

When you crack open the new york times or some other "respectable" paper, you are being exposed to the machinations and desire to indoctrinate you by others.  Social justice agitation (social groups wanting more of the taxpayer's resources), Green industries (flagging the threat of global warming), and multinational corporations (wanting to shape a globalist worldview) being chief among them.  The Democratic party's interests (service to their constituents)  are deeply embedded with the politics of editorial staffs.  

In the end, labels are just labels, talk is just talk, not reality.  Political ideology is used for political operations on the ground.  If right wing rhetoric is so terrible, the US gov't should have collapsed a long time ago.  The rhetoric has moved to the right largely due to the troubled financial position of governments and the consumer.  

There have been excesses due to the right but I believe that over time, the Left and Right rhetoric will find its way. (The left having mostly abandoned the middle class and the poor since the demise of the Old Left) so a RINO like Trump ended up winning the working class base.

4 minutes ago, frenchkiki said:

Do we really need politics?

We need a politics subform here. Every thread is the same. Unpopular Opinions is The Political Correctness Haters' Club is OMG Facts is The "What Are You Thinking About Right Now?" PIP and so on.