Bellazon

FIFA World Cup 2010

Jade**

I don't understand all the complaints about the disallowed goal. I could understand it if the game had ended 2-1, but Germany scored twice more and had lots of chances before and after Lampard's goal was disallowed.

with a 2-2 score the germans couldn't do those easy counter-attacks

Well, you can certainly get a shift in momentum from an incident like that. We saw something similar last night when Argentina's first goal went in and the Mexicans (after starting well) never recovered. But even if it was in the wrong circumstances, it was the right result. We were completely destroyed tactically and on another day, the Germans could have scored 10. Joachim Loew must have thought it was his birthday. :/

Why the complaints about the first Argentina goal? :/ Are you all Mexicans?!! True, it was very offside (+ true, the England goal was way over the line): But I'm a pragmatist about such things, and I figure (if you go through the annals of each nation's World Cup history) decisions go for/against you every match - and it must all even out in the end... :idk:

Figures though, that the England team would heap all the blame on the match officials, rather than their own shoddy performance throughout the tournament. As for that offside Tevez goal - well, clearly the better team would still have easily won anyway! :p

(I realise I'm on shaky ground here - with possibly THE MOST contentious goal in any World Cup going in Argentina's favour in '86!!! I'm also prepared for a refereeing howler in our next match going Germany's way, and me being decidedly pissed off about it!)

WTF?????

Where the fuck was the bloody assistant?! Motherfucker suddenly went blind. I want his head.

AND balls.

Fuck that shit. Fuck FIFA.

I want video replays as a legitimate tool for checking controversial situations like that one.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The defence line was terrible, way too slow to stop the blitzkrieg. But England disappointed as a team - they were just a bunch of players, while the Germans are like one living organism. Everything clicks there.

I hear Joachim has a Schlieffen Plan up his sleeve for the next match :whistle:

As our commentator here said, the golden generation of England, remains to be golden only on paper. Even though they were not one of my favourite teams, I was hoping they'll make some more noise this time around. :(

Don't worry, I'm sure the English papers will have a new, better, golden-er generation out by Brasil 2014, if not the Euros.

I don't understand all the complaints about the disallowed goal. I could understand it if the game had ended 2-1, but Germany scored twice more and had lots of chances before and after Lampard's goal was disallowed.

Fat Frank, even when the ball hits the back of the net he can't manage to score for his country :rofl: Seriously though, England were cheated! I actually even felt sorry for them at one stage :o Though I guess to the disallowed goals, most Germans would say, "1966!" :whistle:

Why the complaints about the first Argentina goal? :/ Are you all Mexicans?!! True, it was very offside (+ true, the England goal was way over the line): But I'm a pragmatist about such things, and I figure (if you go through the annals of each nation's World Cup history) decisions go for/against you every match - and it must all even out in the end... :idk:

Figures though, that the England team would heap all the blame on the match officials, rather than their own shoddy performance throughout the tournament. As for that offside Tevez goal - well, clearly the better team would still have easily won anyway! :p

(I realise I'm on shaky ground here - with possibly THE MOST contentious goal in any World Cup going in Argentina's favour in '86!!! I'm also prepared for a refereeing howler in our next match going Germany's way, and me being decidedly pissed off about it!)

So what you saying guys is, just because both Germany and Argentina were clearly the better sides in both matches that such diabolical descion making on the referee's part should be brushed under the carpet? :ninja: Redgardless of the tempo and momentum in the match(of any given team) surely you want to see a fair match/result?! It's just purely unprofessional! I personally am a firm beliver in that momentum swings play a pivital part in any given sport, which can lead to a different outcome to the result. Now both England and Mexico both had the quality in thier teams to make it more competitive and beat both Germany and Argentina. Which can be drag out with moments like these.(if they went in thier favor ofcourse) If England went into the 2nd half 2-2 thier spirits and intensity would have naturally risen. which then leads on to a better perfomance and with that we may have gotten a different result. Same goes for the mexicans. So yes the complaints are totally vaild and shouldn't be taken lightly!

- Nonethless, i feel both sides were the deserved winners. and the last time the germans displayed such efficiancy was in Auschwitz :ninja:

So what you saying guys is, just because both Germany and Argentina were clearly the better sides in both matches that such diabolical descion making on the referee's part should be brushed under the carpet? :ninja: Redgardless of the tempo and momentum in the match(of any given team) surely you want to see a fair match/result?! It's just purely unprofessional! I personally am a firm beliver in that momentum swings play a pivital part in any given sport, which can lead to a different outcome to the result. Now both England and Mexico both had the quality in thier teams to make it more competitive and beat both Germany and Argentina. Which can be drag out with moments like these.(if they went in thier favor ofcourse) If England went into the 2nd half 2-2 thier spirits and intensity would have naturally risen. which then leads on to a better perfomance and with that we may have gotten a different result. Same goes for the mexicans. So yes the complaints are totally vaild and shouldn't be taken lightly!
^On the contrary Nighty, I completely agree with your points. I think momentum is a vital component to a match. My point was that it'll "all even out in the end"... In yesterday's cases, it could just have easily hindered Argentina or Germany - luck (or lack of it) plays it's part too. :pinch:

It's of little or no compensation, I know - but every World Cup, every league, every other footballing competition is littered with shit decisions. I just think we forget the ones that have benefitted us that tiny bit quicker!

When Wright-Phillips came on yesterday, long after the horse had bolted, the pub I was in erupted into a state of collective laughter. Easily one of my all-time favourite World Cup memories.

So long 'golden generation'. Tempted to go into the garage and find all those old FourFourTwo magazines from the late '90s that tried to convince me that Riccardo Scimeca would captain us to World Cup glory on at least one occasion, with the great Richard Wright between the sticks and Francis Lampard Junior playing a pivotal part (in shooting off target?) in our progressive, high tempo attacking play. That being said, I'm sure James Corden's pudgy man 'comedy' antics will cheer us up in no time, all whilst we witness the systematic reiteration that the Premier League is the best thing to ever happen ever ever ever ever ever.

My brothers in the football thread (Ed, SS and Michael) will tell you that I love my Bundesliga. No Dortmund players, mind. Still, the Argentina game has me sweating jelly babies, such is my excitement.

Now if you'll excuse me, I must get back, Terry Venables has agreed to give me singing lessons. Then tomorrow: a fun run with Ledley King (subject to fitness, the gap toothed porky bugger prefers the sofa!)!

I was not saying that the calls weren't obviously wrong.

I simply believe that the winner would have been the same regardless of the decision there.

England dominated for 15 minutes. Germany for the remaining 75.

And as I said before, those counter-attacking goals were not a result of England forcing too many men forward but them failing to set up properly for two standard situations. That kind of negligence can lead to a counter-attacking goal just as easily at 2-2 as it did at 2-1.

@eNe Agreed! That burst of pace, the timing of the run into space and the touch for Fabiano was all brilliant. Juan and Robinho's finishes were great too!

I'm sad that Chile are out. I really liked them :(

And how come no one has love for Spain anymore? Iberian derby incoming! :woot:

Don't worry, I'm sure the English papers will have a new, better, golden-er generation out by Brasil 2014, if not the Euros.

I can see it now, 2018 will be our year! Until the opening group game with Micronesia that is, in which co-captains Jordan Henderson and Lee Cattermole fall out with manager Gareth Southgate. If only we had a foreign English foreign manager to sort it all out. :pinch:

That burst of pace, the timing of the run into space and the touch for Fabiano was all brilliant. Juan and Robinho's finishes were great too!

A couple of contenders for goal of the tournament yesterday. I'd take back what I said about Kaka looking slow and overweight, but he still does. :ninja:

P.S. Come on Spain and Paraguay!

World Cup 2010 - FIFA to consider goal-line technology

Reuters - Tue, 29 Jun 13:47:00 2010

FIFA president Sepp Blatter has apologised to England over Frank Lampard's disallowed goal and confirmed that the use of goal-line technology is back on the agenda.

More StoriesFactbox: Key dates in goal-line technology

Referees back goal-line technology

Opinion: England: Stars, cars and chumps

Capello can break cycle of ruin

World Cup Paper Round: England laments

..Lampard's effort during England's 4-1 defeat to Germany was ruled out even though the ball clearly crossed the line and has led to renewed calls for the introduction of technology, while Mexico were also victims of a refereeing error against Argentina.

"I have spoken to the two federations (England and Mexico) directly concerned by referees mistakes. I have expressed to them apologies and I understand they are not happy and that people are criticising," Blatter told a media briefing in Johannesburg.

"It is obvious that after the experience so far in this World Cup it would be a nonsense to not reopen the file of technology at the business meeting of the International FA Board in July.

"Personally I deplore it when you see evident referee mistakes but it's not the end of a competition or the end of football, this can happen.

"We will naturally take on board the discussion on technology and have first opportunity in July at the business meeting of the International FA Board."

Blatter added: "It happened in 1966 and then 44 years later - though it was not quite the same.

"I apologised to England and Mexico. The English said 'thank you and accepted that you can win (some) and you lose (some), and the Mexicans bowed their head and accepted it."

Sunday night's match between Argentina and Mexico had also thrown up a controversial incident, with Carlos Tevez scoring the opening goal from a blatantly offside position, but the FIFA president added that the IFAB would only look again at goal-line technology and not video replays.

"The only principle we are going to bring back for discussion is goal-line technology, " he said.

"Football is a game that never stops and the moment there was a discussion if the ball was in or out, or there was a goal-scoring opportunity, do we give a possibility to a team to call for replays once or twice like in tennis?

"For situations like the Mexico game you don't need technology."

Blatter added that FIFA will launch a new initiative to improve refereeing standards later this year.

"We will come out with a new model in November on how to improve high level referees," he added. "We will start with a new concept of how to improve match control. I cannot disclose more of what we are doing but something has to be changed."

World Cup 2010 - FIFA to consider goal-line technology

Even if Blatter and Platini resist the call to use technology, they'll end up being replaced by people who've played in the modern era. It's only a matter of time.