Bellazon

FIFA World Cup 2010

Jade**

Whenever a high profile player gets left out of an international squad, you can usually chalk it up to one of two things - either the coach doubts them for some reason (be it fitness, experience or commitment to the cause) or they simply don't fit in to the style that he wants the team to play. For example, Brazil are tactically cautious and very rigid this year. With the possible exception of Robinho, who has something approaching a free reign, every player in the team has strict defensive duties. Adding Ronaldinho (who isn't the most tactically disciplined, despite being a tremendous individual player over the years) to the mix could put too much workload on the more defensively-minded players.

I see what you mean. :/

Everyone saw that ridiculous call against the USA today right? Well, you can't always count on refs, but you can count on those English players. Thanks :whistle:

Whenever a high profile player gets left out of an international squad, you can usually chalk it up to one of two things - either the coach doubts them for some reason (be it fitness, experience or commitment to the cause) or they simply don't fit in to the style that he wants the team to play. For example, Brazil are tactically cautious and very rigid this year. With the possible exception of Robinho, who has something approaching a free reign, every player in the team has strict defensive duties. Adding Ronaldinho (who isn't the most tactically disciplined, despite being a tremendous individual player over the years) to the mix could put too much workload on the more defensively-minded players.

I see what you mean. :/

Everyone saw that ridiculous call against the USA today right? Well, you can't always count on refs, but you can count on those English players. Thanks :whistle:

Jup. (Possibly) the biggest mistake a ref made this tournament.

What the hell happened to Spain? Damn shame :(

What the hell happened to England? Damn shame :)

I still expect a lot from Spain. Spain played pretty good but it wasn't enough against a team that dug their self in.

Only an hour left until Holland faces Japan. Go Holland! :chicken:

:bounce:

What the hell happened to England?

It's a big possibility that they don't even qualify to next round.. they were my favourites <_<

and they couldn't beat Algeria.

But still that's good for Slovenia :drool:

A draw in any of two games brings us next round :drool:

What the hell happened to England?

It's a big possibility that they don't even qualify to next round.. they were my favourites <_<

and they couldn't beat Algeria.

But still that's good for Slovenia :drool:

A draw in any of two games brings us next round :drool:

Indeed, it's not the result that bothers me. we are still able to go through. It's the lack of motivation and lacluster performance that i find so alarming! We are not even going down fighting <_< How on earth can we be contenders if we can't have the fight and will to win. Look at the swiss against the spaniards, On paper they are outclassed in every department however they won because of the spirit of the team. Thats what makes great champions, finding a way to grind out the win even when your playing badly, England showed no signs of that at all! Why Capello didn't bring on Joe Cole at half time is beyoned me as well! he would have injected some pace that may have turned things around. England need to pull themselves together and fast!

USA, no Eddie Johnson. Brasil, Ronaldinho and Adriano. There's others I noticed, can't remember at the moment.

The short answer for Brazil is that Dunga wants players he can trust in terms of tactical and positional discipline. This has hurt the chances of some of the flair players who took liberties with their responsibilities on the field. This is not your father's or grandfather's Brazil. They're solid, not brilliant.

Though I am mystified as to how Robinho seems to find his way back into this new style Brazil. You'd think he'd get the booth along with the likes of Adriano and Ronaldinho.

If we beat Algeria, its over for you guys :/

Not quite. England still controls its own destiny. If they beat Slovenia, they go through regardless of what happens in the other game. If they lose to Slovenia, they go out unless the US loses to Algeria by a larger margin. If both the US and England draw their last game, then it all will come down to number of goals scored. The US is in the advantage so far, having scored three to England's one.

Chances are USA will top the group now but our fate is still in our own hands, we can qualify as runners-up by beating Slovenia. Needless to say, my fingers are crossed!

Sad to see Cameroon go out last night. Both teams played well, and a draw would have been a fairer result. Sorensen's save towards the end was world class.

All together now - "we all agreeeeeee, Sorensen's better than Schmeichel" - always nice to dust off a classic. :laugh:

D. And that would be: Ghana, Germany or Serbia. Everything's still possible in group D.

England against Germany, that could make a good one...

Damn it, England has played terribly disappointing so far :( Two draws but it feels like two losses.

Besides, most of the favorites haven't played that well so far. France is practically out of the tournament. Holland's won their matches, but their playing style is not that spectacular, really. Same for Brazil - frankly speaking, if they keep playing like in that match against North Korea, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they lost to Ivory Coast tonight. Spain failed enormously by their loss against Switzerland. Germany lost to Serbia, totally unexpectedly (especially considering their 4:0 win against the Autralians). Italy had a draw with Paraguay. Only Argentina has been playing both nicely and effectively.

^ what group winner do we play if we finish second?
^The Germans... post-5116-0-1445995055-34016_thumb.gif

oh boy o boy :ninja: ....i've made plans to watch that match at a friend's house, who oddly enough goes out with a lovely german girl. However im wondering if i should re aranage. Could get messy :laugh:

D. And that would be: Ghana, Germany or Serbia. Everything's still possible in group D.

England against Germany, that could make a good one...

Damn it, England has played terribly disappointing so far :( Two draws but it feels like two losses.

Besides, most of the favorites haven't played that well so far. France is practically out of the tournament. Holland's won their matches, but their playing style is not that spectacular, really. Same for Brazil - frankly speaking, if they keep playing like in that match against North Korea, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they lost to Ivory Coast tonight. Spain failed enormously by their loss against Switzerland. Germany lost to Serbia, totally unexpectedly (especially considering their 4:0 win against the Autralians). Italy had a draw with Paraguay. Only Argentina has been playing both nicely and effectively.

Totally agree. Has got to be the wiredest world cup i have ever expierenced. :idk: *throws text book out of the window*

I agree.. That's the weirdest WC ever!

France is almost out while England, Italy, Germany and Spain are still struggling to qualify to next round.

And so far there' ve been a lot of surprises.

Though I'll NEVER underestimate Italy.

They're never considered as favourites.. but they always come from behind and get what they want.. typical for Italians.

And not just at WC... Also in CL, italian teams <_<