Bellazon

The Official Victoria's Secret Thread

Kevork89

Isn't rugby.. similiar to American football, without the pads? I thought the Fifo world cup was european football or American Soccer? o.0

Honestly I'm kind of offended that these girls are represting an American sport and didn't even make the effort to find out anything about it.

So you expect fashion models to know the ins and outs of every sport their company might market in some way? How many different sports does VS have apparel for? Your demand is not realistic.

Hardly unrealistic. The fact is, the team up between VS and the MLB has been talked about for months, it wouldn't have taken the girls any more then an hour tops to do a little bit of research on the game, or at least the teams they are supposed to be represeting. I never said they needed to know the ins and outs, but a little common courtesy and respect towards an AMERICAN past time for an AMERICAN company. Did I mention both are American brands? That's right, you want to market something you do your research. At least with covergirl, or maybelline they have a slight idea on what they're selling. But their blantant disregard, (this is both the models and the company at fault) is highly offensive. As for all the different sports that VS has apparel for, this line is slightly different. VS actually teamed up with the MLB, it's not just them selling sports style cuts with a logo written across, it's a representation of a select group of teams from the League. So yes in this case they should have done at least a little research. They don't need to be die hard fans... just know something :|

Perhaps it's an American pride thing.

Problem solved.

European football Soccer

It's just football(they're playing with their foots and a ball right?).

And no, I wouldn't be offended if Erin/Chanel would represent football. They are models after all, not sports representatives. Their job is to look good in their clothes(and Candice/Behati are doing that no?), not answering sport-related questions. I mean come on; Does the quality of the clothes improve if the models know anything about sports?

If anything, you should be more offended by the reporter who was asking about the WC - which has nothing to do with what the models are representing atm.

:bounce:

The fact that you came back and said football shows your own pride in a game which is fine. North America calls it soccer, you call it football, we have our own game called football which is completely different. As for the problem solved quote towards American pride please... please clarify exactly what it's supposed to mean because right now I'm slightly irritated because it seems like a rather snide remark, with no real bearing on the topic at hand. As for the rest of your statement, read what was said above. You're free to agree or disagree, but from a marketing perspective that is how it should have been done. Not to mention, reitoration here, but Rugby and Football are two totally different things.. guess the hair color does fit.

Why blame VS or the models? That "interview" looked anything but official, so I wouldn't blame either side for not anticipating some creepy douche sticking a camera in their faces to ask questions they likely couldn't answer. :idk: I mean, they're models. The point is being attractive (and maybe having a sexy accent); knowledge of sports is secondary irrelevant, even in sports-related promotions. VS already proved that: i.e., Candice promoting the VSFS on "The NFL Today."
Yes but that doesn't make it right hun. Part of being a good model is knowing what the hell you are selling, and for them to not be prepared at all kinda shows a level of noobness. Doesn't matter what the product is they still need to know something about it. It'd be like asking the models what the newest VS perfume smells like and them just standing there going "ugh... pretty"

Modeling doesn't just mean standing there looking airbrushed, you kinda gotta know a little something about what you're selling when going to events where questions about the product are going to be asked at any time lol

Guess that's what separates a good model from ok/bad one. I could never imagine Tyra, or Marisa not at least doing some kinda of research before going to an event.

+1 :yes:

I have to agree with Pheno ... It kind of looks bad, i get that they're from Africa & they don't give a damn about baseball there, but as a model you need to at least know what the hell you are promoting or you're going to look like a dumb pretty girl

& yeah, i think that makes a difference between a model & a good model ... Take Marisa Miller for example, she's working with Harley Davidson now & everytime somebody ask about it, she knows what to say & that makes her look good

BUT on the other hand, IF VS has so many girls from the USA (Lily, Erin, Chanel & Lindsay) why on earth VS didn't have them promoting the baseball thing?

I think both the models & VS made a mistake

Yeah but they haven't done any big lingerie campaign like with Secret Embrace, BioFit, IPEX & that ... Alessandra&Miranda are doing launches just for some fragances & videos for the facebook page

Commercials for Doutzen: SAS

Commercials for Adriana: SAS

Commercials for Miranda&Marisa: 0

Commercials for Ale: BBV

Commercials for Heidi: 0

TBH, if you go by commercials only they haven't been using Miranda, Doutzen and Marisa for much else than Christmas commercials. But Doutzen is featured heavily as their "athletic" girl, Marisa is their "swim" girl... VS does very few commercials each year and keeps reusing the smae ones over and over again (like the previous SAS one).
BUT on the other hand, IF VS has so many girls from the USA (Lily, Erin, Chanel & Lindsay) why on earth VS didn't have them promoting the baseball thing?

I think both the models & VS made a mistake

Don't ask VS to make sense. Ever.

To be honest, at times it feels like they need to throw some US models here and there to show patriotism but that's it and they don't use them remotely as much as their other models since Tyra left. (Although Heidi is now at least half-American, which is probably why they stopped using her, I guess <_< )

Considering Marisa isn't even an Angel anymore...and I know several people with bitch and argue. Valmont who has contacts has confirmed this, as well as a few people I have spoke too. VS basically confirmed by this by saying "we'll continue to work with her in the future" if she was an Angel they would have said "She's till an angel" she's not done any work with them recently at all, and she's not got pregnancy leave to fall back on, and she's not spoke about VS during her interviews it's all about Harley Davidson. So I don't think we should be lumping her in the angels group. I think she'll continue to work for them but more on a job to job basis, which is why I think she's still listed as a supermodel on the vsa site.

I think as Angels we have

Heidi (if this is even valid)

Adriana

Alessandra

Miranda

Doutzen

I agree with Prettyphile, somewhat.

A model who is supporting a particular brand or line or item should know something about it and should be able to answer questions about it.

VS models do sometimes tend to be bad at that. I think it was either Miranda or Candice talking about a perfume once in an interview, and they said something like, "It smells good, it comes in a pretty bottle, and it smells good, and you can wear it." Tell me something I don't know. <_<

With something like that, I would have expected whatever model is trying to promote that perfume to tell me maybe what notes are in the perfume, whether it would be a good gift, is the perfume for formal events or for everyday use...etc.

Which brings us back to the event in question: Candice and Behati.

How exactly does "knowing what you're supporting" translate into knowing about sports teams? They're not there as cheerleaders to get people to like a certain sports team. They're there to promote a sports line by VS. The only questions they must be able to answer is whether the clothes are comfortable, what sizes they come in, what other teams' one can purchase, etc. Knowing about the teams is optional, and irrelevant to their job.

Not to mention we don't know how much prep time they had. We don't know whether they were told in advance where they would be going, what kind of event they would be doing, and which team's shirt they would be wearing. I'm pretty sure that last thing happened right before the event when they were getting dressed. I don't see how they would have time to therefore learn about the sports team if they weren't already familiar with it. People like Marisa and Tyra would know because they know sports because they somewhat follow what's going on.

8 teams being supported by this merger.. EIGHT... 2 teams in the game right before the event... TWO... how hard is it to possibly learn.. the name of the pitcher.. or maybe the score? OR hell basic logistics of the game.. how many innings are there? "mmm duh.. I dunno did you know the rugby world cup is being held in South Africa... teehee... we're pretty... so pretty.. twirl hair.. "

I don't care what you say.. who you are or what you feel.. I am personally offended at their lack of consideration for an American pasttime.. offended by the models.. and by the fact that the company couldn't stress the point to at least show a little bit of goddamn respect for the country they are working in.