Bellazon

The "What Are You Thinking About Right Now?" PIP

Francesca

6 minutes ago, toodarnhot said:

https://www.rappler.com/entertainment/news/187646-amazon-lord-of-the-rings-tv-series-talks 

It hasn’t been announced if they’ll be following the books, but wouldn’t surprise me if they just choose to use the Middle Earth environment. 

And them expanding the Star Wars universe doesn’t really bother me. How many hundred and hundred of Star Wars novels are there in the canon? Animated tv shows, video games, etc. That universe is already constantly expanding, and there is plenty of already there source material they could draw on for this new trilogy. 

I saw about this a couple of days ago. If they do it I really doubt they'll choose to do something entirely new just set in the Middle Earth environment. I think it's more likely they'll adapt the books.

(And now that we're on TV Tolkien related stuff... they could try and adapt The Silmarillion instead :whistle: )

It doesn't bother me either them expanding the Star Wars universe. I'm aware there's lots and lots of canon stuff. But I couldn't help to feel a slight "naive disappointment" when hearing about more trilogies :p  Kinda like when more and more Assassin's Creed games were announced after the original story ended with AC III.

32 minutes ago, jkjk said:

I am not a Star Wars expert, I have only seen the movies, but I think there is enough material that already exists for them to make movies for a long time without coming up with anything new (I think they are creating new stories for the movies though). I believe there are many novels and comics being released every year. My point being they can make new movies fairly easily for many years to come.

@toodarnhot beat me to this point, but I already typed it so  :p

My post above answers this too :D 

33 minutes ago, jkjk said:

Disney switched to this new way of making movies a few years ago. For example, look at their animated movies. They used to create new animated movies regularly, but now they make more sequels of existing animated movies than they create new movies.

I imagine Disney will keep doing this with all their brands until they stop making money, I guess.  :idk:

I don't expect that to happen anytime soon.  That could be  :smile: or :sad: or :mellow:  depending on how one feels about it.

I feel like this happens not only to Disney but that most "big name" movies nowadays are either sequels or adaptations of something else instead of original material. Or has it always been more or less like that?

32 minutes ago, Cult Icon said:

Stromboli knows how I feel about Star wars- I'm rather lukewarm.  I think it's fine but it could be a lot better.

I never got into the Star Wars franchise outside of the original trilogy and just liking the designs behind the space ships.

I think it's probably accurate to say that I'm not really a superfan of any franchise (sometimes I think it would be fun to be, though).

Since I see a lot movies, I have seen all of the big franchise movies. I enjoy them and they are a good escape, but that's about as far as it goes for me. That closely describes how I feel about Star Wars, too.

^ (this is an oversimplification of how I think about movies, but I don't want to type forever)

15 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

I feel like this happens not only to Disney but that most "big name" movies nowadays are either sequels or adaptations of something else instead of original material. Or has it always been more or less like that?

I'm sure someone could correct me, but it seems like the studios go with sequels more than in the past because there is less risk when the first movie made money. The idea of a sequel is not new, but it seems like they are quicker to make them now.

And you're right, it's not just Disney.

^^

Star Wars had global success partially because it followed the principles of Jungian psychology.  Lucas worked with Mythologist Campbell (Hero with a thousand faces) and this scholar's input went into the script.  The result is a Sci-fi version of the "Hero's journey"- something that taps into the inner psyche of human beings, particularly the male.

1 hour ago, Stormbringer said:

Sadly,  it's been this way since the "Holy Trilogy" came to and end in 83. Hollywood is in the remake-retelling mode  for the last 30 years.  No one wants to put money down on an original  idea when sequels and prequels are deemed cash grabs. 

4 hours ago, Stromboli1 said:

Very cool, though I'm trying to stay cautiously optimistic with the franchise in total.  I'm sure I'll have a better idea of how Rian treats SW after 12/15.

To  the notes about the books, etc, going into cannon.... (Grab a drink and a snack, this may be long....)

When Lucas still owned LucasFilm fully, he kept a tight reign on the bible. So there  were only a few misses with the vast array of books.  When he sold to Disney, a lot of the old cannon got tossed to the side and branded with the term Legends on the cover. Sucked for a lot of  us who used that 25+ years of cannon to do the old  table top  SW RPG. 
During the time that the two were in talks to sell-buy the franchise, a  little animated movie called  Star Wars: the Clone Wars was released. A  second Clone Wars series was ordered and ran on Cartoon Network.  
When the sale went through, Disney (for sake of making more money to offset that $4B price tag, they said from the movies (the first six) and the Clone Wars movie and series was cannon. 

Dave Filoni, who's responsible  for the Clone Wars and the newer series Rebels, would take what stuff he loved from the original cannon (now known as Legends) and put shit back in.  His favorite characters, planets, events and crafts were slipped back into the New Cannon.  Unfortunately, this is the last season of Rebels on DisneyXD,so we won't see more, unless Disney greenlights another series. 

Fans of the show Rebels show may have noticed in Force Awakens, the  little cranky R5 unit, Chopper, popped up in one of the scenes.  Also, in Rouge One, not only do we see the Ghost, but you hear her captain being called over the intercom. So that was kind of cool too.  Seeing how that kind of cannon works is one of my guilty pleasures. 

If you read this to here, congrats.You now know how much of a SW Geekette/Nerdette I am. 

^I knew all that stuff too, so we are Star Wars nerds. :hug:

I can't wait for the new trilogy, I hope they'll focus on the Old Republic. :chicken:

Pablo Hidalgo is the canon master for Lucasfilm.

There are plans for a live action Star Wars TV show too.

http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/star-wars-tv-series-disney-streaming-service-1202611408/

10 hours ago, Stromboli1 said:

If it's genuinely a blank canvas for Rian Johnson within the world of Star Wars, that’s amazing. The studio must be super confident in The Last Jedi. :chicken:

9 hours ago, CandleVixen said:

Very cool, though I'm trying to stay cautiously optimistic with the franchise in total.  I'm sure I'll have a better idea of how Rian treats SW after 12/15.

True, and a very important point.

2 hours ago, Michael* said:

If it's genuinely a blank canvas for Rian Johnson within the world of Star Wars, that’s amazing. The studio must be super confident in The Last Jedi. :chicken:

They must be quite confident, indeed.

Side note: I meant to mention in a previous post that I do like the idea of telling the story from different side of the universe. It allows for a lot of freedom and creativity.

That song, besides having SO MUCH digital tuning to the vocals and an awful lot of over-compression,  contains a blatant rip off from the end of this song

It's funny how those famous rich singers can't use all their money to pay people to create actual new sounds :/

(which I covered btw, check it out :chicken: )

Nice song (I didn't know it) and nice cover!