Bellazon

The "What Are You Thinking About Right Now?" PIP

Francesca

14 hours ago, ILUVAdrianaLima said:

Sadly Merica lost long ago by still calling it "soccer" :rofl:

I'm not interested in typing out the entire explanation, but the term soccer actually came from England. It was short for association, as in association football.

Not that anyone, including me cares.  :smile:

It's something to do with the slang term for rugby, isn't it? I believe rugby was 'rugger' and association football was 'assoc', which gradually evolved into 'soccer' because it was easier to say. It probably wouldn't have been until about the 1970s that people started perceiving it as an Americanism.

I believe that's right. I think it wasn't until the 50's or 60's that soccer became a looked down on term in England. I think if you look back at some of the old names for football clubs in England, you can find some of the club's original names were something like "XXX City Soccer Football Club".

@Stormbringer you're the Spurs fan, right? Did you watch tonight/the rest of the games or no? I'm torn, I hate the Cavs for five thousand reasons (but have loved KevLove for years) but hate GSW because Kawhi and knocking the Spurs out of the final spot and because Curry's mouthguard chewing is annoying as fuck (but I like him...).

No matter what though I'm angry I didn't get to see Lebron cry.

8 hours ago, HitchcockBlonde said:

@Stormbringer you're the Spurs fan, right? Did you watch tonight/the rest of the games or no? I'm torn, I hate the Cavs for five thousand reasons (but have loved KevLove for years) but hate GSW because Kawhi and knocking the Spurs out of the final spot and because Curry's mouthguard chewing is annoying as fuck (but I like him...).

Yes I am :chicken: 

And yes, I watched yesterday's game, and all the series actually. And a good portion of the playoffs too, but I missed that game Kawhi got injured...

Anyway I like the Warriors too - they have a similar game to that of the Spurs - so I', happy with the result. Especially given that the Cavs and Lebron lost :rofl: 

8 hours ago, HitchcockBlonde said:

Curry's mouthguard chewing is annoying as fuck (but I like him...).

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: