Bellazon

The "What Are You Thinking About Right Now?" PIP

Francesca

A whole nation being held in captivity, in its own homeland. Truly the most unique phenomenon in modern history :/

A day in the life of the West Bank occupation

Pictures taken in the run-up to the 50th anniversary of the six-day war show what daily life is like for Palestinians

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jun/06/a-day-in-the-life-of-the-west-bank-occupation

IT seems to me that the right wing in Europe is about asserting the people's national identity, manhood and masculinity (nationalism, secularism, and projection of power via the military (including fighting terrorism), "liberation" from the shackles of US influence (our military occupation and the use of the EU as a dumping ground for the products and services of mulitnational corporations) and a nostalgia for reaching outside their borders to gain for wealth and achievement for their people.  The hatred/contempt for the mainstream liberalism is a result of a long term suppression of these emotions.  The severe failings/crises of the past decade simply brought these political feelings out.

JJ3/17 moments what do you think?

20 minutes ago, Cult Icon said:

IT seems to me that the right wing in Europe is about asserting the people's national identity, manhood and masculinity (nationalism, secularism, and projection of power via the military (including fighting terrorism), "liberation" from the shackles of US influence (our military occupation and the use of the EU as a dumping ground for the products and services of mulitnational corporations) and a nostalgia for reaching outside their borders to gain for wealth and achievement for their people.  The hatred/contempt for the mainstream liberalism is a result of a long term suppression of these emotions.  The severe failings/crises of the past decade simply brought these political feelings out.

Hence why movements like AfD are currently failing to get even near 10% of the vote in polls. Okay.

1 hour ago, Cult Icon said:

Nationalism - yes, it's a rebound, caused by the unceasing abuses, encroachments and expansion of the supranational, globalist, neoliberal, bureaucratic EU and its control. This, and immigration caused the brexit.

People are against the US-EU trade agreement, but the globalist-neoliberal EU commission & multi companies are pushing it. The 2008 economic crisis came from the US into the EU, so the people experienced the dark side of neoliberal globalism. The southern EU countries are still in economic crisis, unemployment rates are high, Greece is in utter bankruptcy for years.

Sad but true, the US influence means instigating the EU and Russia against each other. The US forces the Russia-restrictions onto the EU, which hurts our economy badly. The strategic interest of the US is to impede the cooperation between the EU and Russia. The US does not want the EU (German) economy and Russian resources to cooperate. 

3 hours ago, 17 Moments of Spring said:

Nationalism - yes, it's a rebound, caused by the unceasing abuses, encroachments and expansion of the supranational, globalist, neoliberal, bureaucratic EU and its control. This, and immigration caused the brexit.

I saw something recently where pollsters asked the 'Great British Public' how many people in Britain they thought weren't ethnically white British. The guesses were in the range of about 40%, when the actual number is 18%. The guesses for Muslims in Britain were somewhere in the 25-30% range when the answer is actually 4%.

In other words, people in this country are being sold a big lie about 'marauding hordes' of immigrants and particularly Muslims. The reality is that in most areas of the UK, everyone is white British. The vast majority of ethnic diversity can be found in the inner cities (which interestingly, were mostly areas that voted to remain). Places that actually experience high levels of immigration don’t mind it as much, while places that haven't experienced it seem to fear it more. I myself come from a city that is 96% white British and immigration was the hot referendum topic there. But, side note.

The principal cause of Brexit was the delayed effect of the 2008 financial crash, and a series of decisions by our own government immediately afterwards. Years of attrition reinforcing the financial position of those who caused the problem in the first place, while offering no solutions to those stranded with low skills, as globalisation exported more and more jobs to cheaper wage economies elsewhere. Investment in infrastructure and education is a better approach in a time of cheap money than trying (and failing miserably) to reduce national debt and deficit by cutting taxes and public services.

On 6/5/2017 at 5:45 PM, 17 Moments of Spring said:
  • 2014. May 24. – Belgium: attack in front of a Jewish museum, 4 killed
  • 2015. January 7. – France: attack against Charlie Hebdo magazine editorial office, 12 killed, 10 injured
  • 2015. February 15. – Denmark: terror attack in Copenhagen, 2 killed, 5 injured
  • 2015. October 31. – a Russian plane crashed because of an explosion, 224 killed
  • 2015. November 13. – France: terror attack in Paris, 137 killed, 368 injured
  • 2016. March 22. – Belgium: explosions in Bruxelles, 35 killed, 340 injured
  • 2016. July 14. – France: outrage in Nice, 87 killed, 434 injured
  • 2016. December 19. – Germany: terror attack in Berlin, 12 killed, 56 injured
  • 2017. April 7. – Sweden: outrage in Stockholm, 5 killed, 14 injured
  • 2017. March 22. – England: terror attack in London, 5 killed, 46 injured
  • 2017. May 22. – England: explosion in Manchester, 23 killed, 116 injured
  • 2017. June 3. – England: terror attack in London, 7 killed, 48 injured

It's about looking at an issue in context, though. Less deaths due to terrorism in Western Europe than during the 70s, 80s or 90s. That’s important context. Furthermore, it’s roughly about a hundred deaths per year in an area populated by around 800 million people. By way of comparison, 450 people die in the USA each year by falling out of bed.

We should also take note of the great lesson of the 20th century, that we have far less to fear from over-hyped external threats than we do from our own governments, if their power is allowed to run unchecked.

Just hoping things won’t become worse as predicted. First generation of jihadist terrorists = Al-Qaeda, second generation = ISIS, a third one will probably be even more violent i.e. guerrilla warfare, biological weapons etc.

1 hour ago, Michael* said:

It's about looking at an issue in context, though. Less deaths due to terrorism in Western Europe than during the 70s, 80s or 90s. That’s important context. Furthermore, it’s roughly about a hundred deaths per year in an area populated by around 800 million people. By way of comparison, 450 people die in the USA each year by falling out of bed.

We should also take note of the great lesson of the 20th century, that we have far less to fear from over-hyped external threats than we do from our own governments, if their power is allowed to run unchecked.

+1, thank you! People using fear to justify horrid policies. :pinch: 

7 hours ago, frenchkiki said:

I was a kid but I remember we had so many terror attacks in the 80's :/ then in the 90's

Here is the list of all the terrorists attack in France since the 70's till the 90's/creepy :blink::wacko: (sorry French only)

September 86: 5 attacks in less than a week

273127attentats.jpg

... It's pretty discusting the way you try to "relativize" (and i stay polite) these barbaric crimes.

Now, go ahead, and do the such with every countries of the world, you may be surprised. 

14 minutes ago, jj3 said:

... It's pretty discusting the way you try to "relativize" (and i stay polite) these barbaric crimes.

Now, go ahead, and do the such with every countries of the world, you may be surprised. 

It's more about being objective. These guys are nothing new. Europe has had to deal with groups like that through most of its history.

Some of them have all but been forgotten by history.

18 minutes ago, jj3 said:

:banghead:

It's absolutely not what I did, it's the opposite.

I don't even understand how u can think that?

2 hours ago, Michael* said:

Meanwhile, 0 casualties caused by terrorism during the time frame of my post in the area of Eastern-EU.

Btw, it's foul play to mix deaths caused by accidents and deaths caused by voluntary homicide.

22 minutes ago, 17 Moments of Spring said:

Btw, it's foul play to mix deaths caused by accidents and deaths caused by voluntary homicide.

Of course very few, if any, of the deaths I mentioned would have been deliberate, and even fewer the result of a maniac targeting random citizens in support of a sick ideology, but the fact remains that there are greater dangers out there, even if their atrocities are more shocking. Personally, I always find facts and context useful. Different strokes and all that.