Bellazon

Football

goose

astronomer, you're Canadian, do you remember this advert?!

Sorry for the late reply

I remember a series of ones like this, let's just say it didn't make me want to buy Rogers

Yes, that's the one! The voiceover is slightly different than the one I saw but wow, there it is, three years later, every bit as smug as I remembered it being.

Yep, very North American in some ways, especially as it has to do with 'soccer'

So the draw is done and England got lucky :D

Group A: South Africa, Mexico, Uruguay, France

Group B: Argentina, Nigeria, Korea Republic, Greece

Group C: England, USA, Algeria, Slovenia

Group D: Germany, Australia, Serbia, Ghana,

Group E: Netherlands, Denmark, Japan, Cameroon

Group F: Italy, Paraguay, New Zealand, Slovakia

Group G: Brazil, Korea DPR, Côte d'Ivoire, Portugal

Group H: Spain, Switzerland, Honduras, Chile

Poor Ivory Coast. If I remember right they were drawn in the same group as Argentina and Holland last time out, and now Brazil and Portugal.

I imagine it more the other way round, with Portugal sweating having the Ivory Coast in their group. Should be a close run thang, me thinks.

Poor Ivory Coast. If I remember right they were drawn in the same group as Argentina and Holland last time out, and now Brazil and Portugal.

I imagine it more the other way round, with Portugal sweating having the Ivory Coast in their group. Should be a close run thang, me thinks.

There's even a chance, however small, that Brazil might struggle to get out of their group now.

There's even a chance, however small, that Brazil might struggle to get out of their group now.

Yeah, maybe. I don't really have any great kinship for the Brazilians ('least not the fellas, anyway) but I'd rather it was the Portugese that missed out, naturally for spiteful reasons. Apparently they (Brazil) are better in defence these days, but I honestly wouldn't know.

England got the easiest group by far. Even easier than the one they got in 2006, and that one featured the world power that is Trinidad & Tobago... <_<

To be fair, we seemed to do our best to make Trinidad & Tobago look like world beaters that day. What a pathetic performance.

Good calls both. The popular opinion seems to be that the current Brazil side is one of the worst ever (based on what I saw of them during the Confederations Cup, I'm inclined to agree) and Portugal had a torrid time in qualification. It just seems like rotten luck for the Ivory Coast to be drawn in what's bound to be called the "group of death" in two tournaments running, even though they'll still have every right to fancy their chances.

The crazies are already chipping in with their ten a penny opinions, including BBC vampire John Motson who seems to think Ghana will win Group D. You keep that chasing that rainbow, son.

No doubt the media are already trying to will Ghana to win Group D, just so they can shove the possibility of an England/Germany second round game down everyone's throats.

sleep2.gif

Yeah, maybe. I don't really have any great kinship for the Brazilians ('least not the fellas, anyway) but I'd rather it was the Portugese that missed out, naturally for spiteful reasons. Apparently they (Brazil) are better in defence these days, but I honestly wouldn't know.

England got the easiest group by far. Even easier than the one they got in 2006, and that one featured the world power that is Trinidad & Tobago... <_<

To be fair, we seemed to do our best to make Trinidad & Tobago look like world beaters that day. What a pathetic performance.

With quality all over midfield and attack, a world class goalkeeper and another generation of great wing-backs (Maicon, Dani Alves, Michel Bastos, ...) I think Brazil's only "weakness" if you can call it that is central defense. They rely a great big deal on Lucio in that department. I'm not sure they can handle Drogba. I wouldn't be all that surprised to see the Ivory Coast defeat Brazil. Yaya Touré faces similar midfields every week and their defense are no push-overs either.

Portugal are the most likely candidate to go out. Although you never now. If Brazil loses to the Africans and draws Portugal (both far more likely than one might imagine) it could down to their respective goal difference against Korea. :blink:

France deserves to fall in the first phase, cheaters... <_<
^And yet they still prospered in the draw - with their 'seed' being the host nation. :no:

There's just no justice in the world!

I'd like to say our group looks relatively easy - but after the absolute shambles of qualifying I'd say we're eminently beatable. Nigeria and South Korea to go through... :ermm:

Damnit, we needed guys like you to join the BZ Fantasy Football League back in August.
^Apologies, I didn't even know about it.

I did used to lurk on this thread occasionally - but you always seemed (at those times) to be going on about the Champions League, a competition I don't really have any vested interest in... :/

^Apologies, I didn't even know about it.

I did used to lurk on this thread occasionally - but you always seemed (at those times) to be going on about the Champions League, a competition I don't really have any vested interest in... :/

Well in that in case I practically insist you stay as I personally cannot stand talking about the Champions League. Anyway, everyone can still join our little league http://fantasy.premierleague.com/M/table.mc?id=353621

Join Baron, Join :bounce:

And don't worry, as much as I'd like to talk about the Champions League, I can't anymore. Liverpool are favourites to win the Europa League :rofl:

Why is everyone talking about Brasil, Portugal and Cote D'Ivoir in the group of death? When it comes to death, I'd be worried about North Korea :| North Korea actually qualified quite well from the harder group in Asia. Such a shame that their efforts in qualification will be rewarded by being in the toughest group :/ I can see Brasil tripping up but given their pragmatic approach nowadays and consistency, I think it'll be relatively straightforward for them. Portugal are weak tactically, but they always seem up to take on Brasil (I wonder why...except that 6-2 thrashing recently).

Australia play Germany first <_< I have little hope we will make it through the group stages unless we draw with Germany (HA!)

Can't believe France, Argentina and Italy got the easier draws. BOOO! boo hiss! I can see England progressing really far under Capello...and if the knockout is played between teams from A-D and E-H, then it's very possible they will make it to the semis imo...unless Portugal qualify and play England in the QFs :whistle:

Did anyone watch the draw live?

charlizewc.jpg

HAWT :wub: