Bellazon

The "What Are You Thinking About Right Now?" PIP

Francesca

2 hours ago, Michael* said:

I myself come from a city that without European funding would probably have looked like a Mad Max film by now, but I'm ashamed to say that we were still one of the first to vote Leave, helping to hand free reign to the same right-wing government that spent about three decades beating the place senseless.

I have multiple friends who come from the same sort of places, and many of them have parents who are immigrants themselves but voted to keep the Poles and the Syrians or whoever they're so afraid of out. It's astounding. 

Have you read this theory? (It's a comment, you'll have to scroll down to read it. Despite the small font, it's worth it.)  

It raises some questions about this entire referendum. I was completely convinced Cameron had made the biggest political miscalculation in ages, but I'm starting to rethink that. 

On 26/06/2016 at 6:54 PM, HitchcockBlonde said:

I have multiple friends who come from the same sort of places, and many of them have parents who are immigrants themselves but voted to keep the Poles and the Syrians or whoever they're so afraid of out. It's astounding. 

Have you read this theory? (It's a comment, you'll have to scroll down to read it. Despite the small font, it's worth it.)  

It raises some questions about this entire referendum. I was completely convinced Cameron had made the biggest political miscalculation in ages, but I'm starting to rethink that. 

It seems to me that a lot of people voted for change, but without stopping to think about the reality of what it would look like. I can only think that the anger and frustration that they've felt about the lack of jobs and the gradual dismantling of public services has been channelled by the media's decades of propaganda into mistrust and fear of migrants and Europe. To see this level of vitriol and paranoia so close to the surface for so many people - I fear for us, I really do.

I must admit, I didn't put Cameron's resignation down as anything other than him not being prepared to do Johnson and Gove's work for them, but that's quite the fascinating theory. We'll soon see what they're made of, I suppose. My worry is that a lot of the things happening in the meantime will be irreversible by the time someone decides whether or not to push the button, Scotland certainly haven't wasted any time in speaking to the EU about staying in, and that's probably just the beginning.

3 hours ago, 17 Moments of Spring said:

In the interest of making an informed decision, I actually watched this before voting. It's surprisingly well-made, but at no point did I hear if there was a better alternative to the EU, or if there was a sensible or realistic path towards making that alternative happen. And quite honestly, despite the fact that the results are in and we're already edging out the door, I still haven't. Now, we're about to enter into a negotiation in which the EU holds all the cards and we hold none.

In the interest of making an informed decision, I actually watched this before voting. It's surprisingly well-made, but at no point did I hear if there was a better alternative to the EU, or if there was a sensible or realistic path towards making that alternative happen. And quite honestly, despite the fact that the results are in and we're already edging out the door, I still haven't. Now, we're about to enter into a negotiation in which the EU holds all the cards and we hold none.

Switzerland, Norway

5 hours ago, 17 Moments of Spring said:

Switzerland, Norway

While both survive perfectly well on their own, neither have actually saved any money through not being in the EU. Geography dictates that their main market is still Europe and as such, they still have to pay into the same system and follow the same regulations. But, since neither have a seat at the table, they have no say in what those regulations are or any way of negotiating them. I've lost track of the amount of times that I've seen the word 'sovereignty' thrown around recently, as if it's something that the UK stands to gain by leaving. Switzerland and Norway have lost theirs, and it's because they've chosen to isolate themselves.

While both survive perfectly well on their own, neither have actually saved any money through not being in the EU.

Money is not everything.

Geography dictates that their main market is still Europe ...

So they don't "isolate themselves".

Alas, I can understand why one would vote for leave.

2 hours ago, Limerlight said:

Can't wait til all this soccer talk is done with 

I thought we were friends :unsure:

I understand, though. My dad is a basketball fan and he can't stand watching football with me, he likes games with points :p 

Woke up way, way too early, forgot to switch my alarm back to the right timezone.

Cheers to having a day off today, though. Back to bed for me.