Bellazon

The "What Are You Thinking About Right Now?" PIP

Francesca

26 minutes ago, Stromboli1 said:

Since Brexit will lay the foundation blueprint and especially if Hillary gets elected....

Welcome to the Republic of Texas.

jJfrQuS.png?1

Lol. No, this will not happen. Brexit is in no way shape or form equivalent to secession of states.

hahaha, a tad overdramatic to start that.

At best, it starts to paint an extremely realistic picture for a Trump presidency.

1 minute ago, RIP_Cabrini_Green said:

Lol. No, this will not happen. Brexit is in no way shape or form equivalent to secession of states.

At best, it starts to paint an extremely realistic picture for a Trump presidency.

You'll have a lot of problems forecasting a Trump presidency, as it is 100% a wild card

2 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

Why is that?  I don't see much reason for the British to be in the EU.  The primary benefactor is the banking sector in London and british multinationals, which don't have to pay currency translation costs and hedging.  There will be short term 'transition' crisis but long term it should benefit the british as they no longer have to deal with getting taxed by the EU's agenda.

I'm no expert, but from what I read before voting, there was a virtually unanimous agreement between national and international bodies that leaving would cause short term losses and probably a long term slump, too. How much we actually stand to lose and how significant that slump will turn out to be is of course still in the wind, but the overall consensus beforehand that they would happen looked pretty striking.

To be honest though, I feel much more fearful of what this (albeit slim) majority of people were thinking when they cast their votes. My gut feeling is that a great many of them have essentially just flushed the United Kingdom away for the sake of closing ranks on immigrants, which was highly unlikely to happen anyway. The EU are still going to call the shots on the terms of our leaving and when we do go, we'll be ruled by the least accountable Conservative government we've ever had.

5 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

You'll have a lot of problems forecasting a Trump presidency, as it is 100% a wild card

100% agree. But Most of the media and pundits said there was no way that the type rhetoric coming out of the "Leave" camp could actually win.

And they did.

A lot of those same "experts" have said there is no way Trump's rhetoric could win.

The results of Brexit show that anything possible. Especially a Trump presidency.

46 minutes ago, CanLVS said:

Can't Scotland have another vote to not remain part of the UK now that they are leaving the EU, wasn't one of the big reasons they stayed last time because they wanted to remain part of the EU?

It was indeed, and the fact that Scotland is being pulled out of the EU against its will gives them reasonable grounds to hold another referendum on their independence. Which I would fully expect them to win this time.

14 minutes ago, RIP_Cabrini_Green said:

It was a joke, but the Texas secessionists are nuts as well as Texas Republicans.

2 hours ago, Stromboli1 said:

That's it for the UK imo.

Hopefully Ireland will finally be unified again.

I agree, the UK will be a thing of the past before long. It'll start with Scotland leaving but it could easily end with Irish unity, as Northern Ireland (who also voted to remain) presumably seeks to distance itself from us. This is the reality of the hollow and meaningless phrase 'taking back control of our country'. The way we're going, we'll barely have a country to control.

1 hour ago, frenchkiki said:

Isn't it just a referendum? The government has to do it because 51% wants it?

More than 60% of people in Scotland said "no" North Ireland said "no" at more than 50%.

Even London said "no" when all the other cities around said yes. The referendum is kind of a joke to me.

Well, that's what we call "democracy" ...

IRQK1mj8.jpg

LTz3z5IP.jpg

But yeah, that's English's humour i guess. It started like a joke, and then it turned badly ... 

Hard to say if it's REALLY bad, or good for the UK or even for the EU, or for any other country from the EURO-Zone ... For now :D 

Mais quel bordel quand même :rofl: 

But if you take a look, poor people voted for Brexit, "normal people", people from the "countryside" ... EU is hated by normal people, they voted for it consciously...

Plus, UK was not really IN. No Schengen, No EURO ... I mean, somehow that's not super surprising ... But yeah, they accelerate History. And no one is able to say how it will turn now. 

8 minutes ago, 17 Moments of Spring said:

Cameron has resigned? And what about the real delinquents? I'm looking at you Merkel, Juncker, Schulz.

Yeah, Merkel is HIGHLY responsible for that, like directly responsible ... 

On 6/24/2016 at 1:57 PM, frenchkiki said:

Isn't it just a referendum? The government has to do it because 51% wants it?

More than 60% of people in Scotland said "no" North Ireland said "no" at more than 50%.

Even London said "no" when all the other cities around said yes. The referendum is kind of a joke to me.

As in any country, the reason we elect these people (if you can call a parliamentary majority based on 35% of the popular vote 'elected') is for them to make the big decisions. They didn't think to check with the public when they took us to war, and other than in-fighting and shirking responsibility, there was no reason to put this to a vote either.

The vote itself was only ever designed as an advisory opinion poll, so in theory, Cameron should now put the question to parliament. Clearly though, he didn't have the guts to oversee it. Now, someone worse is going to take over, and presumably force it through whether it's legally binding or not. This is much worse than a general election with a result that has consequences for three or four years, it's a once in a lifetime deal with changes that are going to have an impact for decades to come.

On 6/24/2016 at 3:31 PM, jj3 said:

But if you take a look, poor people voted for Brexit, "normal people", people from the "countryside" ... EU is hated by normal people, they voted for it consciously...

Well yes, as much as a decision based on paranoia and misinformation can be a conscious one. I'm not foolish enough to think that the EU was perfect, but this is the equivalent of jumping into a lion's den because you've been bitten by a dog. The actual evidence seems to suggest that Britain was never excessively regulated or dictated to by Brussels. A lot of the people here have spent most of their lives being lied to by politicians and the rabid right-wing media, who have have been intentionally 'muddying the waters' for decades, and have only ever fed us negativity about being a part of Europe.

11 hours ago, RIP_Cabrini_Green said:

Also, like it or not....this is a huge boost in the arm for Trump.

Speaking of Trump, he’s in Scotland at the moment talking about how great it is that they've got their country back, when every single Scottish region voted to remain. :rofl:

On 6/24/2016 at 4:15 PM, toodarnhot said:

I'm not! I meant it was rich for Hitchcock to be making fun of Canadian summers considering the average summer temps across the pond. 

Hey, I don't study Canadian geography and meteorology, how was I supposed to know it was 30c for you while it's 16c and raining here? ;) 

On 6/24/2016 at 3:41 PM, Michael* said:
The vote itself was only ever designed as an advisory opinion poll, so in theory, Cameron should now put the question to parliament. Clearly though, he didn't have the guts to oversee it. Now, someone worse is going to take over, and presumably force it through whether it's legally binding or not.

Even if he had stronger will, I doubt he would have done that. Not with the turnout they had. It's 'the will of the people' and all that bullshit. 

I fear Johnson as PM, I really do. I had hoped Cameron would stay on. And I despise Cameron, so that's really a concession for me.