Bellazon

FIFA World Cup 2014

Michael*

An occasion billed as Messi vs Robben ends up being dominated by the likes of Mascherano, Romero and Vlaar. Commiserations to the Dutch, who didn't really turn up tonight. Van Gaal's change of goalkeeper in the quarters eventually came back to bite him, you could see the pressure on Cillessen's face to somehow live up to what Krul did when he came on so unexpectedly against Costa Rica. Sending Vlaar to take the first kick of the shoot-out was no less bizarre. Argentina were pretty atrocious too - I can't honestly say there's been a more obviously deserving team in their half of the draw so it might as well be them, but on that evidence Joachim Löw won't be losing any sleep.

I don't get the hate towards Argentina, is not like Holland deserved to win any more than Argentina did. I'm very proud of my team and I honestly can't believe Romero's save :rofl: I've never been a fan of his but he did so well! And my boy Mascherano made me so so proud, as well as Lavezzi! Everyone did a great job today, Aguero was a little off but he just came back from his injury so it's okay.

Here are my celebratory videos from tonight.

http://instagram.com/p/qP23QgG6mr/

http://instagram.com/p/qP3HyTG6nK/

http://instagram.com/p/qQGGxEG6v_/

http://instagram.com/p/qQEyb_G6ta/

http://instagram.com/p/qQG1bEG6hZ/

Sucks that I have a final tomorrow and I had to come back home early because the party is still going hard outside. I think the Final Two are the two teams that deserved it the most from the final four and whoever comes out as the winner will be a fair winner.

I don't get the hate towards Argentina, is not like Holland deserved to win any more than Argentina did. I'm very proud of my team and I honestly can't believe Romero's save :rofl: I've never been a fan of his but he did so well! And my boy Mascherano made me so so proud, as well as Lavezzi! Everyone did a great job today, Aguero was a little off but he just came back from his injury so it's okay.

Here are my celebratory videos from tonight.

http://instagram.com/p/qP23QgG6mr/

http://instagram.com/p/qP3HyTG6nK/

http://instagram.com/p/qQGGxEG6v_/

http://instagram.com/p/qQEyb_G6ta/

http://instagram.com/p/qQG1bEG6hZ/

Sucks that I have a final tomorrow and I had to come back home early because the party is still going hard outside. I think the Final Two are the two teams that deserved it the most from the final four and whoever comes out as the winner will be a fair winner.

I don't think that "well the other teams were just as bad" is a justification for playing pretty shit all tournament long imho.

This Argentina is the worst finalist since Argentina back in 1990 in that they never truly played a great game and got through courtesy of a single goal (QFs) and penalties (semis).

In fact, in that respect it's rather amazing how much this is like 1990. QFs, won a dire game by a single goal (Caniggia in 1990, Higuain now). In semis, beat a European country on penalties after a possibly even worse game (Italy in 1990, Holland now). In the final, meet the best team in the tournament (West-Germany in 1990, Germany now).

Sorry, I can't agree with the notion that these are the two most deserving sides. Colombia would have deserved to be there ahead of Argentina. Even Holland at least gave us that wonderful second half vs. Spain. Argentina have only been frustrating to watch all tournament long. It's even more scandalous when you consider the individual attacking talent on the team. It's like Sabella was given the parts to build a Ferrari but decided to make a station wagon instead.

Scenarios where Ron Vlaar as first penalty taker is justifiable

1) Everyone else on the team has been officially declared dead

2) A new law is introduced so that missed penalties now count as two converted penalties

3) The rest of the team consists of ten clones of Nathan Baker

2) A new law is introduced so that missed penalties now count as two converted penalties

A World Cup thread making mention of Jack Colback and now Nathan Baker. Hopefully not a sign of things to come!

Overall, although a physical and edgy affair was probably always on the cards last night, I think both sides deserve pelters for an almost total absence of attacking intent. Regardless of tactics, players as talented as Messi, Higuain, Van Persie and Robben should really be making more of a mark on games like these. That Cillessen offered as much quality on the ball was pretty damning.

While it could obviously be argued that the Dutch made the most of their resources and performed beyond all reasonable expectations, the only time they’ve consistently played anything other than stodgy, conservative football was against Spain. They squeaked past a gritty Australian side, made my eyes bleed against Chile, rode their luck to beat the Mexicans and failed to score in 240 minutes against Costa Rica and Argentina. That’s fine in a Jose Mourinho 'if we’re winning then who cares?' kind of way, but once you’ve lost, a bit of honesty should kick in. Despite the respectable results they've achieved, their approach to the last two World Cups has been mostly disappointing.

Overall, although a physical and edgy affair was probably always on the cards last night, I think both sides deserve pelters for an almost total absence of attacking intent. Regardless of tactics, players as talented as Messi, Higuain, Van Persie and Robben should really be making more of a mark on games like these. That Cillessen offered as much quality on the ball was pretty damning.

While it could obviously be argued that the Dutch made the most of their resources and performed beyond all reasonable expectations, the only time they’ve consistently played anything other than stodgy, conservative football was against Spain. They squeaked past a gritty Australian side, made my eyes bleed against Chile, rode their luck to beat the Mexicans and failed to score in 240 minutes against Costa Rica and Argentina. That’s fine in a Jose Mourinho 'if we’re winning then who cares?' kind of way, but once you’ve lost, a bit of honesty should kick in. Despite the respectable results they've achieved, their approach to the last two World Cups has been mostly disappointing.

THIS.

I'm not saying Argentina has been the best team so far, i truly think Colombia was by far the best team until they got screwed, i said all along that Colombia was the most deserving team overall but once you take into consideration JUST the final four, I think Germany & Argentina were the best two.

While Argentina hasn't shown their besr habilities, Holland doesn't deserve shit either. They had ONE good game and it was against Spain (a team that played so bad the whole WC that i'm not even sure it counts that much btw), after that they rode their luck all the way to the semi-finals, they failed to score last night and against CR too, and the only reason they passed Mexico was because Robben is a crying baby and managed to get a last second penalty, not because they were actually better than Mexico. At least Argentina fairly won all their matches.

Tired of reading how Argentina, Colombia, or God knows which other SOUTH American team "deserves" this or that.

European teams didn't perform very well either at this WC but at least Germany and Holland have been pretty consistent for the past 20 years or so in football. With the exception of Chile, most SA teams have been a huge disappointment, in terms of referee's support, cannibals and all that. 

Sad for Holland, they should have played better and won. I guess it's not their time yet. Moscow 2018 maybe?

I hope Messi and his friends get defeated badly on Sunday. The win in 1978 was all fixed and Im not gonna even talk about this in details, all I hope is they lose.

THIS.

I'm not saying Argentina has been the best team so far, i truly think Colombia was by far the best team until they got screwed, i said all along that Colombia was the most deserving team overall but once you take into consideration JUST the final four, I think Germany & Argentina were the best two.

While Argentina hasn't shown their besr habilities, Holland doesn't deserve shit either. They had ONE good game and it was against Spain (a team that played so bad the whole WC that i'm not even sure it counts that much btw), after that they rode their luck all the way to the semi-finals, they failed to score last night and against CR too, and the only reason they passed Mexico was because Robben is a crying baby and managed to get a last second penalty, not because they were actually better than Mexico. At least Argentina fairly won all their matches.

I can say this for lots of footballers but not about Robben in that particular case. 

There was a penalty and everyone who isn't blindly biased saw it. Too bad you and many others on the net were so pissed off that Holland made it through, they still can't sleep at night because of the well deserved penalty. Your insomnia may continue though if Germany wins :)

Apparently no one else wanted to take the first one. Which is rather odd.

THIS.

I can say this for lots of footballers but not about Robben in that particular case. 

There was a penalty and everyone who isn't blindly biased saw it. Too bad you and many others on the net were so pissed off that Holland made it through, they still can't sleep at night because of the well deserved penalty. Your insomnia may continue though if Germany wins :)

Maybe it's you having insomnia now because Argentina made it instead of Holland based on your recent senseless rant? :idk: I've been sleeping pretty well the whole month, don't know about you but I take this as a very enjoyable month to enjoy my favorite sport.

Honestly WC won't change my life like at all. Regardless of who wins, I still have a final on Monday and gotta wake up at 6:00 am and life goes on, some people are taking this shit too seriously and it's sad, is not like because X country wins or loses your life will improve or go downhill o.O

I stand by what I said, Colombia is the team that played the best all the way through the WC and they should have been at least in the final four but football has always been a pretty unfair sport and the final is what it is and both Germany & Argentina earned their places there.

Oh no, it won't change my life at all and I am quite enjoying the discussion here every day except for your posts which come off quite sensless at times. But its not just in this thread, so I won't comment any further.

Here is a pic I found which explains the current state of things pretty good IMO.

post-45285-0-1445995033-59355_thumb.jpg