Bellazon

The Official Victoria's Secret Thread

Kevork89

VS seems to have so much faith into thinking that the VS Swim Special is actually gonna somehow match up in ratings like the fashion show..

I mean I'm gonna watch it but I don't think I'll be that amazed by it. It seems fun though. Just can't wait to see Jojo. 

I think they're very conscious of the fact that, it's not as big as the main show.  Heck, they're not even pushing it as much. They pulled in decent ratings last year and it was actually cool to watch. Plus their products were finely displayed.  I guess it was a success that's why they're doing it again.  And they're using the same promo strategy as last year

I actually enjoyed the swim special it was something new and focused on just the angels instead of 10 seconds on 50 models most of which I don't give a shit about. With how hard the VSFS tanked this year with their social media models flopping I bet I will enjoy the swim special more then the 2015 VSFS, sucks no Ale and Jac but the cast of angels and Vita are all pretty great and time to let the new faces take over.

Plus I am interested in seeing Vita on camera and just how different her body has become in more then just pictures.

The VSFS ratings dropped much more than normal for a lot of reasons, not just people's lack of interest.(mostly from it, but still)

RATINGS 18-49(The most important one for publicity)

2009: 2.9 8.3million viewers

2010:9million viewers

2011:4.6 10.3million viewers

2012: 3.6 9.48million viewers

2013: 3.4 9.72million viewers

2014: 3.4 9.29million viwers

2015: 2.3 6.60million viewers

The 2014 show registered 3.2 rating 18-49 and it was followed by Christmas specials and those registered similar ratings.

The 2015 show followed two repetitions that rated lower than the fashion show itself, (1.4,1.3).

There is also decline of VS's popularity, and people running away for the Kardashian name and perhaps the most important of all: TV's viewing own decline.

The numbers of TV Audience are at its low with Network's shows media average rating being 1.5 or 1.6 (minus CW) WHILE 2 or 3 years ago it was 2.4 or 2.5. These 2.3 ratings and 6.60 million viewers don't count the ones that watched it on CBS All Acess and online. In a time where online viewing is getting popular by the day. Every year shows are hitting their all-time lows(even  The Big Bang Theory and Empire now).

I am not excusing the show tho, they deserved they low poor ratings for an awful show and I hope they do get their shit together, I am just saying that the decline probably wasn't as hard as everyone thought. 

I get that there will continue to be a lower and lower amount of people watching from TV but their marketing was all focused at the demographic that would mostly watch it online anyway so it wasn't the smartest decision. Even their TV promotion sucked, their biggest promotions for viewers who would actually watch it on TV and not online were on morning talk shows and Ale's sit down segment on Last Call w/ Carson Daly, so their best advertisements for potential TV viewers where at a time when most people were at work or sleeping in bed. Their Stephen Colbert promotion was a shitty attempt at a viral segment that failed miserably.

Even with taking into account viewers from different media sources it still looks bad to CBS that their 1 time a year event they put a lot of money into, dropped hard that it barely did better then re runs of regular 1 hour TV shows that cost nothing to re-air and still get at or the same # of ratings.VS will be just fine from it their sales won't be affected in fact they would probably go up through their other marketing but it becomes an issue to CBS whether they want to keep investing money into what is no longer a ratings home run for their network.

3 minutes ago, CanLVS said:

I get that there will continue to be a lower and lower amount of people watching from TV but their marketing was all focused at the demographic that would mostly watch it online anyway so it wasn't the smartest decision. Even their TV promotion sucked, their biggest promotions for viewers who would actually watch it on TV and not online were on morning talk shows and Ale's sit down segment on Last Call w/ Carson Daly, so their best advertisements for potential TV viewers where at a time when most people were at work or sleeping in bed. Their Stephen Colbert promotion was a shitty attempt at a viral segment that failed miserably.

Even with taking into account viewers from different media sources it still looks bad to CBS that their 1 time a year event they put a lot of money into, dropped hard that it barely did better then re runs of regular 1 hour TV shows that cost nothing to re-air and still get at or the same # of ratings.VS will be just fine from it their sales won't be affected in fact they would probably go up through their other marketing but it becomes an issue to CBS whether they want to keep investing money into what is no longer a ratings home run for their network.

I agree with everything you said, VS's advertisment sucked, but altough the drop was hard CBS would only put the VSFS «cancelation*» in extreme circunstances of 1.2, 1.3(NCIS:LA's normal ratings), but yeah I hope CBS tries to push VS to improve the marketing/shows

VS marketing is really bad! They rely too much on social media (which I understand because it's free exposure), but it's ultimately not enough. On one hand not everyone is active on social media platforms and on the other hand it's not a good platform to market the angels well, because you don't get to know them personally (opposed to being interviewed). Victoria's Secret should make sure that the angels do TV appearences (e.g. talk shows), cameos in movies and series, appearances in different magazines and store events all year long and not just around the VSFS. That way people will remember and recognize them more. Posting cute pics of the girls on instagram doesnt' give them enough publicity.

^ How can VS's strategy be from the 90's? There were no social media back then... Plus Vs has had girls in series doing cameos ( Lilly and Martha for example) but not all series could have or want to have cameos. I don't think VS marketing is that bad! I think it was smart not having Ale and Adriana in the swim special because it allows for the others to shine. I think the swim special this year will be better than the show.