Bellazon

The Official Victoria's Secret Thread

Kevork89

16 minutes ago, Annabeth said:

They need to rely social media now and the fact that most models probably aren't name grabbing unless you're a veteran VS Angel or Kendall/Gigi should say a lot. 

There was a picture a model posted from casting for NYFW and they had all the girls who were there write down their IG username and how many followers they had. It's ridiculous but we're clearly in the social media age of modeling. 

16 minutes ago, ceceshores said:

There was a picture a model posted from casting for NYFW and they had all the girls who were there write down their IG username and how many followers they had. It's ridiculous but we're clearly in the social media age of modeling. 

I was just look at an agency website, and before the model's stats, they had her instagram linked in and the number of followers she had. 

How many girls did they have doing promo last year? I remember Elsa and Ale were paired up, and Martha did something with Jaunes but I can't remember if anyone else did any. 

55 minutes ago, Annabeth said:

I feel like Anna Wintour partly started the shift to celebs. I guess her becoming the Vogue Editor began the end of models on US magazines. 

I guess it doesn't help that let's face it, most models nowadays are to be blunt, not that appealing to the public eye unless you're a fashion lover. Most people I've talked to when the topic of fashion comes on talk about how weird the models look nowadays as opposed to the past or some of the ridiculous looks from fashion shows and how skinny they are, the usual. I've heard similar comments on online forums (non fashion related). They don't care about bone structure or unique or striking features I guess. I get what they're saying. I honestly doubt Molly Bair's looks or name will sell as opposed to Scarlett Johansson or Cindy Crawford. But hey.. even then not everything they touch turns to gold. 

In short, I feel like it's the modelling industry's fault for ending supermodels. Less expensive, odd looking, lacking star-power, skinny work for pennies girls to sell clothes as opposed to Linda I-don't-get-up-for-less-than-10k-a-day E, who I've heard many say is beautiful.. also that she'd probably never wake up in this day and age because most models will probably work for much less money :rofl:. And now, the fashion industry kind of shot itself in the foot for doing that. Seriously. They need to rely social media now and the fact that most models probably aren't name grabbing unless you're a veteran VS Angel or Kendall/Gigi should say a lot. 

Cindy Crawford is/was a supermodel herself but I get your point.

15 hours ago, PinkCouture said:

I think part of the reason why there are not models like Gi, Heidi, Tyra, and etc as Angels is there are very few quality models that are up to that caliber. Also, the media rarely focuses on models like they did a decade or two ago. For that reason they don't create as much buzz and attention as they used to. Nowadays magazine covers  and campaigns (in the US at least) are filled with actresses, musicians and celebrity wannabes :/

The general interest has diminished but with the right publicity, models still can become household names like Kate Upton or Irina Shayk have proven. If VS pulled their strings on the right girls the right way then the whole Angel-concept wouldn't have become the joke it has turned into. How delusional do you have to be to believe that Chanel Iman, Karlie, Lindsay and then contracting 10 girls at the same time will be worthy successors? So now VS desperately cling on their big stars Adriana and Ale because they messed up grooming worthy successors. I can see Candice in that position but her fame is kinda bubbling under the surface and she needs just one big thing to finally break into mainstream. The development of the Angels is.... just sad. 

You can talk crap about VS all you want. They might from time to time go for girls like Kendall and Gigi but at least they've stuck to their guns during the whole celebrity era of fashion and never hired actresses or singers for their company to represent their brand. They've always used models. Can't say the same for SI (Beyoncé, Ronda sports stars etc) or any other publication or designer who rely on celebrity to sell. VS gets performers for their shows and likes having that celeb connection like famous boyfriends, bff's etc but at least they still put the effort these days in making a model a name. 10 Angels still have a huge following on social media and get a lot of attention due to their angel status. And they invest their time and money into these girls to still promote their brand. Like I said really only major brand out there who at least their top contract girls aren't celebrities and are models. They deserve credit for that.

The quality of high fashion models have definitely gotten noticeably worse (esp. post 2013).  Just track models.com over the years.  As of right now the situation is pretty bad for the prestige of models.  There are few rising stars, really.  Just a group of 50+ models that get the top jobs for a short period of time and then they turnover for another set.

The field is filled with generics with little character and so is VS.   There was a final wave of pretty good top models that had decent charisma/class starting in the mid-late 2000s (Think Daria W., Julia S., Magda , Hilary,  Hana, Adriana, russian super dolls, etc.), but this wave of models have either entered retirement or are fading away.   They helped sustain BZ in a way :D I'm still hoping that there will be a "next wave" but it's been dry ever since.

The "supers" and dynamics of the 1990s were from a time where the field was more exclusive/selective and like the "old boy's club" to use a metaphor.  There was also less content out there and no or little internet.  In the late 1990s we were using dial-up 56K modems (AOL) for the internet, LOL.

I can see the disappointment, as Luxury is all about impressions of elitism/exclusivity, and the more elite..the better.  The human animal needs to signal to the others impressions (real or imagined) of these traits, LOL.

1 hour ago, Kevork89 said:

Like I said really only major brand out there who at least their top contract girls aren't celebrities and are models. They deserve credit for that.

A lot of major brands have long-lived contract girls that are real models.  it's just that their marketing is low-key and small compare to VS's marketing mania. If I'm not mistaken, Valentina finished a ten-year with RL.

http://models.com/rankings/ui/MoneyGirls/

Note  how most of them started modeling from the mid/late 2000s

4 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

A lot of major brands have long-lived contract girls that are real models.  it's just that their marketing is low-key and small compare to VS's marketing mania. If I'm not mistaken, Valentina finished a ten-year with RL.

http://models.com/rankings/ui/MoneyGirls/

Note  how most of them started modeling from the mid/late 2000s

You're not mistaken. 

Models might not get mainstream American magazine covers but they still have a lot of clout in the advertising arena. Who cares about covers anyway?  Celebs themselves are struggling to make people pick up magazines they front at the newsstand (don't get me started on all the 2015 kardashian/jenner cover flops) and the money is in campaigns so...

The new commercial is really boring. Would've been better in colour and longer.

@Cult Icon yes models still work heavily in the industry and get a lot of campaigns and what not. Designers particularly still stick with models. Models will never ever really be replaced. But my point was that VS still at least make somewhat of an effort to make their girls. They might not make supers anymore but I give them points still for trying and not fully diving in to celeb mania.

But yes you're right.