Bellazon

The Official Victoria's Secret Thread

Kevork89

Reading this Forbes List makes me wonder if they don't have a VS bias. I mean, I'm doubtful that some of these VS new angels are that wealthy, especially considering that from what I understood from this thread, VS isn't as generous as it used to be with their spokesmodels. I sometimes wonder if this list is more about promoting the models rather than giving an accurate view of the models earnings.

Also, do they count Rosie and Cara's acting pay checks in this list ?

Edit: One last thing : I believe the first time Forbes did a separate list for models was in 2008. Gisele toppped the list with 33 million and the entry point was Stam with 1.5 million, and there were only 10 models. Fast forward now there are 20 models all above 4 millions. What happened ? Has there been an inflation in the models salaries, a change in favour of models instead of celebrities for big contracts ?

17 hours ago, Clauds said:

there's a reason why the agencies speak to Forbes but never really confirm numbers nor do they confirm who pays better, who pays less and who made how much money.

unless you are IMG and start firing at any direction to get free press ahaha

I do think the list could have some biases. I’m sure there are e.g. Asian and even Indian models making a lot of money in their domestic markets but no one knows them in Europe or in the USA so they are not included.

Looking at the list of the highest-paid male models in 2013, I think Forbes was actually selling them short. Models made the top ten list with earnings that were below $300k. The director of Wilhelmina Men was interviewed for a little documentary and he gave some quotes on what male models make. He said that a mid-range strong catalogue model can make 250k-300k dollars a year.

I think that number is correct because I remember reading about David Gandy that he was making $300k a year doing catalogue modeling when he decided he would only do editorials in an effort to change his career towards luxe. That was a tough spot for his agency at first (a model making $300k a year saying he isn’t going to do catalogue and commercial jobs anymore) but it obviously paid off.

I think Forbes didn’t want to include those catalogue men on their list because catalogue modeling is not held in high esteem in the entertainment industry. Forbes would not want to write about models whose names no one has even heard of, which is the case for most if not all catalogue models. So I think they included only those men who did campaigns for prestigious designers or had at least one big client.

The models’ agencies might not have let those models do a lot of catalogue and other commercial work in the hopes that they’d eventually score a big campaign for a high fashion designer. So their money came from doing a fragrance ad etc., which didn’t add up to super high earnings at the time.

The same kind of thing might’ve happened to the girls i.e. some might be making a lot of money advertising for commercial brands but if they don’t have contracts with some high-end labels, Forbes was not interested in making a story about them. Forbes opted instead for the models who have made a name for themselves in high fashion and working for Victoria’s Secret whose contract models the public is the most aware of.

6 minutes ago, PinkCouture said:

Not sure is it still true but I saw on a Chinese game show a few years ago that models in Asia on average gets paid the least in the world even if you are high profile. 

Interesting! It could also hinge on what is your definition of a model. Do the modeling jobs go to pop stars in Asia and to Bollywood stars in India? On the other hand, actresses like Cara Delevingne and Rosie Huntington-Whiteley are still considered models in America and in Europe.

It could also be the case that the industry has an agenda to say that “Instagirls” are paying off now i.e. making them a lot of money. The pendulum will probably shift to the other end in the future. Designers might then want “exclusivity” and not book models with a large number of followers on social media because that might be deemed too down-market and accessible.

@Sanni

But that's the problem. In the end, is this list an advertising piece or a journalistic piece. If it's all about advertisement then sure, let's make a list of the highest paid models that people already know about or at least might recognise and let's not forget to mention constantly what companies sign their paychecks, I think VS is strangely over-represented in the list, even the photos they use as illustrations are from the VS fashion shows. If it's about journalism, then it shouldn't matter to them whether the person is popular or not.

I sometimes doubt Forbes accuracy when it comes to these fortune estimations. I remember a few years back, some guy from Qatar(?) was mad because he said that Forbes underestimated his fortune, and more recently, this biotech woman went from an estimation of 5 billions to 0 for some reason.