Bellazon

Trumpland U.S.A

Cult Icon

15 hours ago, PinkCouture said:

Based on what I have read about 35% did vote for her. That is still a very significant and alarming number. Then again fascism is coming back in trend so I guess the number isn't that surprising.

35% of those who voted and 23% of the electorate. That's a large group, but not that large, especially since not all of them will have voted for her because they agreed ideologically with her, but more as a middle finger to the establishment.

She also only attracted 31% of Fillon voters. I don't see how FN will ever realistically win the second round of a Présidentielle if they cannot even attract more than half of the voters of Les Républicains.

13 hours ago, PinkCouture said:

Yes there is only one race...the human race. However there are many people who would disagree with that fact, and they think certain races are more superior/inferior. Even some who claim they believe there is only one race contradicts themselves in their actions and behaviors (not you Kiki). When it comes down to it, it's about ego, being power hungry and an excuse to project blame onto others instead of accepting [some] personal responsibility.

Well if we want to get really technical, race is a social construct, not a biological determinism. e.g. there is a wide variety of people who would be perceived as "black" but many of whom have little in common in terms of their underlying DNA.

Historically speaking, racism had existed only in the context of colonial expansion. For that reason alone France cannot be turned into a racist state overnight or over the course of a sinle election. Its worth pointing out that  Unlike US and South Africa, france does not have a colonial past. Of course the French have a colonial past but mainland France has not. Same goes for British Isles, Germany, Italy etc

To offer proof, I would point out that race became a key factor during Nazi Germany only when Hitler envisaged this idea of 'greater Deutschland'

Sadly, fantasies of such type exist today in the guise of ideas such as 'greater Israel' which paints Palestinians as vile creatures, simply because they occupy lands that are prime targets of annexation.

3 hours ago, SympathysSilhouette said:

Well if we want to get really technical, race is a social construct, not a biological determinism. e.g. there is a wide variety of people who would be perceived as "black" but many of whom have little in common in terms of their underlying DNA.

I mentioned your first point in my latter post :smile: 

When it comes to skintone it is a spectrum. Some people are lighter and some are darker---even among Caucasians. When it comes down to it all the different "races" are interconnected. 

The scale of the racism/obsession with muslims of Europeans and their body politic that emerged as a result of the global recession and their terrible economic situation was definitely not what I expected, given the small minority populations of those countries.

It's like their true colors were revealed after a lot of phony moral superiority/ political posturing during the Bush years.

Their propaganda would have been much worse if they were 25% minority like in the US instead of 3%, 5%, etc.

5 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

The scale of the racism/obsession with muslims of Europeans and their body politic that emerged as a result of the global recession and their terrible economic situation was definitely not what I expected, given the small minority populations of those countries.

It's like their true colors were revealed after a lot of phony moral superiority/ political posturing during the Bush years.

Their propaganda would have been much worse if they were 25% minority like in the US instead of 3%, 5%, etc.

What minorities are you talking about? Muslims are a very small minority in the US. Almost minuscule compared to some European countries.

2 minutes ago, SympathysSilhouette said:

What minorities are you talking about? Muslims are a very small minority in the US. Almost minuscule compared to some European countries.

All minorities combined

Just now, Cult Icon said:

asians, blacks, hispanics, middle easterners, etc.

Right, but a significant number of those aren't even semi-recent immigrants.

If we are talking African-Americans, a significant number of those will have been in American for countless generations by now. In which way are they "different" from the majority, other than in the color of their skin? Obviously their experience will have been colored by racism (slavery, Jim Crow, ...), but they were not asked to adapt to an entirely different culture from the one they were born in, or their parents of grandparents were born in. Unless you trace it all the way back to the victims of the triangular trade.

By comparison, immigrants (first, second and third generation immigrants) into Europe from the Maghreb countries is a relatively recent development.

This can mostly be traced back to the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s.

This isn't really an argument against the notion that Europe has its fair share of racists, obviously it does, but more against the idea that the experience of the Muslim-European immigrant can be likened to that of the modern day African-American.

5 hours ago, SympathysSilhouette said:

Right, but a significant number of those aren't even semi-recent immigrants.

If we are talking African-Americans, a significant number of those will have been in American for countless generations by now. In which way are they "different" from the majority, other than in the color of their skin? Obviously their experience will have been colored by racism (slavery, Jim Crow, ...), but they were not asked to adapt to an entirely different culture from the one they were born in, or their parents of grandparents were born in. Unless you trace it all the way back to the victims of the triangular trade.

By comparison, immigrants (first, second and third generation immigrants) into Europe from the Maghreb countries is a relatively recent development.

This can mostly be traced back to the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s.

This isn't really an argument against the notion that Europe has its fair share of racists, obviously it does, but more against the idea that the experience of the Muslim-European immigrant can be likened to that of the modern day African-American.

Your response to my post is on a red herring.  eg. I could mention Mexicans/Latino border jumpers and asian illegals?

I'm referring to the use of race baiting (in this case, the european obsession with muslims) to move political movements. 

8 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

Your response to my post is on a red herring.  eg. I could mention Mexicans/Latino border jumpers and asian illegals?

I'm referring to the use of race baiting (in this case, the european obsession with muslims) to move political movements. 

Well it isn't a recent development. e.g. Vlaams Belang has been using the fear of mostly North-African immigrants since the early 1990s to their political advantage.

Also, Marine Le Pen's gains are more modest than they might appear upon first glance.

Back in 2002, her father got 5.5 million votes in the second round of la Présidentielle.

Marine Le Pen got 10.6 million in her second round this time around.

Adjusting her father's result for the population growth since 2002, he would have an equivalent score of around 6 million votes today.

So Marine Le Pen only got 4.6 million more votes than her father, in spite of being up against a political newbie who wasn't a member of any of the traditional parties and whose movement is only a little over a year old. This whilst France has been hit by several terrorist attacks in just the last couple of years.

jL4h19E.png Call Russian connection fake news in tweets

J9lUf7U.png Change your Twitter banner to be a quote from your Russia tweets

0Xc3CqN.png Fire the head of the FBI during Russia investigations, using the AG who recused himself from said investigation

uIsT5Xy.png Say it was because he was too mean to Hillary

:rofl: Trump is going to eat this call to fire FBI director Comey during the middle of the Russian connections investigation big time and soon! Reading his letter to him just makes it gold :rofl:  All of this is smelling like some shady shit to say the least! :cain: