Bellazon

Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2010 (PRE-SHOW Thread)

chicityboy

Oct. 13, 2010, 10:00 a.m. EDT

Grammy® Nominated Superstars Katy Perry and Akon Will be the Musical Guests on 'THE VICTORIA'S SECRET FASHION SHOW' Tuesday, Nov. 30 on the CBS Television Network

NEW YORK, Oct 13, 2010 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Grammy® nominated superstars Katy Perry and Akon will be the musical guests on THE VICTORIA'S SECRET FASHION SHOW, taped in New York, to be broadcast Tuesday, Nov. 30 (10:00-11)(10:ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Supermodels Adriana Lima, Alessandra Ambrosio, Rosie-Huntington-Whiteley, Candice Swanepoel, Chanel Iman, Erin Heatherton, Lily Aldridge, Behati Prinsloo and a bevy of other Victoria's Secret Angels will star in this lingerie runway show, which will also include red carpet interviews, model profiles and a behind-the-scenes look at the making of the world's most celebrated fashion show.

The runway show will also feature the $2 million Bombshell Fantasy Bra designed by renowned Italian jeweler Damiani and worn by Supermodel Adriana Lima.

Hailing from Santa Barbara, California, Katy Perry, the two-time Grammy nominated singer, released her debut album, One of the Boys in 2008, which sold five million copies. She recently released her follow-up album entitled Teenage Dream which spawned two #1 hits, the title track and California Gurls, which took only four weeks to reach the #1 spot on the Billboard Hot 100. She was nominated in 2009 for a Grammy Award for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance for her hit single "I Kissed A Girl" and again in 2010 for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance for her hit single "Hot 'n' Cold." Ms. Perry will perform the third single off Teenage Dream, "Firework," on THE VICTORIA'S SECRET FASHION SHOW.

Six-time Grammy nominated singer, songwriter, producer, entrepreneur and philanthropist Akon rose to prominence with the hit single "Locked Up" from his debut album, Trouble, in 2004. His second album, Konvicted, earned him three Grammy Award nominations for singles "Smack That" featuring Eminem, and "I Wanna Love You," featuring Snoop Dogg. He is the first solo artist to twice hold both the #1 and #2 spots simultaneously on the Billboard Hot 100 charts. He has since founded two record labels, KonLive and Konvict, that are home to talents including Lady Gaga and T-Pain, as well as his own youth-focused charity, Konfidence Foundation. With over 40 Billboard Hot 100 songs and 300 guest appearances with a diverse mix of artists from icons Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston and Quincy Jones to Gwen Stefani, R. Kelly and Leona Lewis, Akon is one of the most popular artists in music today. Akon will perform "Angel," the first single off his upcoming album, Stadium, on THE VICTORIA'S SECRET FASHION SHOW.

These are the singers' first appearances on THE VICTORIA'S SECRET FASHION SHOW.

THE VICTORIA'S SECRET FASHION SHOW is being produced by done and dusted, inc. Edward G. Razek, Monica Mitro, Ian Stewart and Hamish Hamilton are the executive producers. Hamish Hamilton is the director.

VICTORIA'S SECRET is the leading specialty retailer of lingerie, apparel and beauty products, dominating its field with modern fashion-inspired collections, prestige fragrances and cosmetics, celebrated supermodels and world-famous runway shows. A business of Limited Brands /quotes/comstock/13*!ltd/quotes/nls/ltd (LTD 29.35, -0.36, -1.20%) , its more than 1,000 Victoria's Secret Lingerie and Beauty stores, the catalogue and VictoriasSecret.com allow customers to shop the brand anywhere, any time, from any place.

Katy's singing "Firework" and Akon's singing "Angel"

Katy's singing "Firework" and Akon's singing "Angel"

OH GOOOD SHIT! I feel it's so sure that Akon's "Angel" will be the soundtrack of the beginning segment :yuckky: :yuckky: :yuckky:

I truly dislike Akon's voice - he's rather whining than singing

Eghh that song was terrible. And Akon's voice drives me nuts. I don't mind Firework. I hope that they are just singing in their own segments like Sting and Mary J used too. I hope that the girls just get to walk to good pumping music. I'm over performers + vs models.

I think it does have to do with seniority a bit.

And Adriana is their biggest name. She is coming back from her pregnancy and now Heidi is out she is the head angel.

So the FB to her was kind of obvious. A big way to bring her back for the show. VS are really pushing Candice heaps. But as of right now she still isn't a big enough name with them yet.

So before they can just throw her the FB they need to get her name out a bit more. Weird because KK had it in 02 and she wasn't even an Angel.

Maybe also cause they wanted the FB to be for an actual contract Angel. And right now the only official Angels are Adriana, Alessandra, Doutzen and Miranda. Two of them are out pregnant. So it was just between Alessandra and Adriana.

Alessandra should have got it IMO. But it will be more effective with Adriana. If that makes sense.

And Adriana is their biggest name. She is coming back from her pregnancy and now Heidi is out she is the head angel.

So the FB to her was kind of obvious. A big way to bring her back for the show. VS are really pushing Candice heaps. But as of right now she still isn't a big enough name with them yet.

So before they can just throw her the FB they need to get her name out a bit more. Weird because KK had it in 02 and she wasn't even an Angel.

Maybe also cause they wanted the FB to be for an actual contract Angel. And right now the only official Angels are Adriana, Alessandra, Doutzen and Miranda. Two of them are out pregnant. So it was just between Alessandra and Adriana.

Alessandra should have got it IMO. But it will be more effective with Adriana. If that makes sense.

But KK got it twice without being a contract angel?

I understand your reasoning, but I find it odd they would give it to the non-contracted KK on two occasions and not consider Swanepoel for the same "honor" after almost over-emphasizing her in all of their media for the better part of a year.

Although perhaps that is the reason, the fact that they already invested too much attention into the South-African?

With Adriana being the new Chief Angel per say, they are going to want to make that clear. With Heidi gone, I'm sure we'll get it drilled into out heads that Adriana has taken that spot. It's been coming for a while, with her doing everything with Heidi, doing the mainstream events when she came back from her pregnancy. According to my sources her getting the fantasy bra was a decision that was made sometime in late 09. Like I said before VS runs on a seniority, tier system. No one replaces anyone, but they do take over a position. Everyone moves up, you could say. Ale will now be second in charge, and will do some of the big events and be there as the supportive cast and second biggest name (Just like Dri was to Heidi for a couple years) if Alessandra outlasts Adriana (which no one knows right now) then she'll step up to lead. Candice is just where Ale was a few years ago, and Adriana several years ago. All over everything, the new baby, the campaigns, the face that could be their "star" one day. Candice IMO whenever she is contracted to be an angel, will be lead someday it's obvious with how they are heading with her work. KK was never over emphasized in the media like Candice is, KK had racked up quite the resume in 2002 which is why she most likely walked away with it. 2006, that one threw me...never will understand that. Like I said it's best to look at the Veterans to determine where the newbies are, Candice is all over like Dri, and Ale were...but they never took center stage when Heidi, or Tyra were around. Heidi, and Tyra were their big guns, the ones they called in for the media attention to push a huge product, to wear the most expensive bras, to headline the show and etc. It's all a system that gets repeated over and over and over.

In all rights Ale should have gotten it, if VS was on a fair system. But they aren't. Right now it's push push push Adriana as the new lead, and push push push Candice as the new face. Is it a tad annoying to people who can't stand either, or like Ale or another Angel. Sure. But it's the way VS works. The only thing VS seems to do that is fair, is follow a seniority pattern when it comes to promoting their girls in the line-up, that's about it...and I don't think that's so much fairness as it is you just don't give a title to someone who hasn't been there, or done as much work as someone else who's been there longer and done more.

But KK got it twice without being a contract angel?

I understand your reasoning, but I find it odd they would give it to the non-contracted KK on two occasions and not consider Swanepoel for the same "honor" after almost over-emphasizing her in all of their media for the better part of a year.

Although perhaps that is the reason, the fact that they already invested too much attention into the South-African?

KK got it in 2006 while she was an Angel :)

And I guess what Lost says is true. That Candice right now is where Adriana and Alessandra were when Tyra, Heidi and Gisele were still the tops.

I remember Alessandra and Adriana being everywhere constantly. Just like Candice is now. They are obviously grooming her for that top spot. One day lol.

Maybe...who knows. Adriana had to wait 10 years, Alessandra is still waiting.

Candice will still shine like Ale, and Adriana did when Heidi and Tyra were lead. But Heidi and Tyra, were still the big guns even though Adriana and Ale were everywhere. Like I said, everyone follows everyone in VS...you can always look back and see that the Veteran was always where the baby was, and the baby eventually becomes the veteran if they don't bow out early (a la Gisele)

Tyra was the lead until 2005, starting in 2002 you could see Heidi being prepped for that lead spot. Once Tyra retired Heidi took over. Gisele was being prepped for the lead spot after Heidi retired, but since she left she never was able to take that position. So starting in late 07, early 08 you started seeing them prep Adriana for that spot (this is when Heidi gave VS the news she wanted to leave way back in 08) Adriana started being everywhere she finally got the bra, she was basically the main attraction second to Heidi at the show in 08, she was taking over the stores, doing the major launches, headlining her own little biofit tour, and etc etc. Now Heidi left early this year (although only now is VS releasing the info) Adriana is back full swing, doing things she hasn't done for years...but now that's she's the headliner she's going to do what Heidi did back in early 06, be the big name, get the big promo and etc etc. It's always a tier system, it's become more obvious over the last few years. I see Ale being the lead Angel someday, if she outlasts Adriana's contract...who knows though.

I think I understand your reasoning behind VS' decision pattern. But it doesn't make much sense to me to be honest.

It seems to me that it's a tactic that leads to them prominently featuring models after they are on the downward slope of their career.

Wouldn't it have made more sense to give Adri the bra when she was at the apex of her popularity? Same with Candice now, if they don't give it to her this year or next year, she'll likely never again match this level of popularity.

If I was making these decisions, my only criteria would be centered around which girl is the "hottest" in the media at the moment. Why they try to run away from the reality to uphold some arbitrary hierarchy is quite confusing to me. It certainly isn't a good business strategy.

Because while Candice might be all over, a majority of people don't know who she is...nor do they care. The majority of the public wants to see the faces they know from years over watching to open the show, and to wear the bra. When Selita wore the bra, she was overshadowed by Heidi, Adriana, and Alessandra simply because no one cared. If one of the three would have worn it, people would have noticed. Because not only does getting the bra just include it, VS is going back to it's roots this year. The bra comes with such media coverage, that whoever wears it when they decide to promote the hell out of it it needs to have someone wearing it where people will sit and watch the interview or attend the launch. This year she's going to be making talk show appearances on many shows, she's doing a personal event with the bra (going back to the way they treated the bra prior to 2005)

And actually it would make NO sense to give one of the most expensive aspects of the show, and invest so much more media coverage and money into someone who would be overshadowed by the bigger names. Heidi, Adriana and Ale carried the show in 08. If Miranda or Doutzen would have gotten the bra, it would have been forgotten. Last year, even though Marisa got it, it didn't stand out because the big deal was Heidi. So why give something so large to someone when it won't stick out? They've tried it before it fails. Also to say someone's career is on the downward slop, uhhhhh no. Usually whoever becomes the new lead, it breathes even more life into their career. So it would be better for Candice to get the bra, after she gets better known by name...not by "Oh it's the pretty blonde chick from the VS window" which is what she's known by the majority of the public right now. Also she's far from the being the hottest in the media...yea she's all over VS.....big deal. In the actual media, she's a nobody just listen to the photographers when she does events with the veterans Like Ale or Adriana, I've heard on numerous occasions ALE ALE Blonde Girl! Same with when she did all this bombshell stuff. If it wasn't for some of the media handouts they give out having the girls name on them, people wouldn't even know her name to get her attention for the most part. She will have her time, she's just not ready yet. Every baby angel (if that's even good to call her, because she's not a contracted Angel) has been through this, and they eventually get past it.