Bellazon

Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2009 (POST-SHOW Thread)

PinkCouture

:heart:

The show is SIXTY minutes long including commercials. Without commercials, the show is actually 43 minutes in length.

I did some hardcore editing to see what the actual running time would be WITHOUT the model search footage and here's the results:

With ALL of the model search drama bullsh*t cut out, including the BEPs second performance and ALL of the backstage footage of Kylie from the last segment, the show's runtime is only 21 MINUTES! That's enough footage for a half-hour episode!

That means that nearly 55% of the show was dedicated towards this stupid-ass model search. There wasn't enough time to focus on the REAL models becuz they had to focus on the FAKES. The last time I checked, this was supposed to be a FASHION SHOW. Instead, it became an over-produced teen melodrama. "Boo-hoo, boo-hoo, I didn't win, I wanted this so bad", OH SCREW YOU!

IMO of the however million viewers they got, most people dont care which models or even know who the models are. They just watch it

Exactly. VS isn't producing the show to please the hard core regulars and devotees to the brand. It's for the casual viewer, the person who isn't sitting on a message board dissecting every outfit, pining for missing models, and lamenting how 200-whatever was the best year ever.

The ratings were typical of how it's been for the last few years. This year was not significantly higher or significantly lower in comparison to the 2007 or 2008 shows. After Tyra left, the ratings dropped significantly. After Gisele left the ratings went up. And in 2009 missing both Karolina and the other one, the ratings basically stayed the same. I think the ratings have leveled off at this point. They seem to have their core group of 7 to 8 million who will watch and the company is looking for ways to draw in the casual viewer - the person not devoted to the brand the way we are. However, it's difficult as the novelty has worn off. They tried the model search. It didn't work. What was "scandalous" and "pushing boundaries" in 2001 and 2002 is simply commonplace in 2009.

Honestly, I just wish that they hadn't done the model search - the VSFS isn't America's Next Top Model. Let ANTM be ANTM, and let the VSFS be the VSFS. What I liked about the 2005 one was how the performers were more PART of the show then the main focus of the show when they were performing. Seal just kinda hung out on the side and let the models walk past him. THAT is what they need! They can pan in on the performer every once in a while, but let the models do their stuff : THAT is what most people are watching for. Monday night we were at a friends' house watching House, and a commercial came on for VSFS - I FREAKED out and got all giddy and was like, "OMFG!" And there were two guys there who were like, "Man, we have to watch that!" They wanted to watch it to see girls strut their stuff in outrageous lingerie that their girlfriends will never wear (but in a way that their girlfriends can't complain), not watch the Black Eyed Peas! They need to make the performers an enhancement, not the whole show. IMO.

Otherwise, I thought they did a decent job this year, minus making the Black Eyed Peas and the Model Search the focus.

I looked at the show again, and it really was not ALL THAT BAD!!! It actually would have topped some of the previous VSFS if it wasn't for the MODEL SEARCH BULLSHIT. :sleep: :yuckky: :x MAJOR FUCKUP BY VS!!! <_< :yes: They have previously did model searches before in 2003 and 2007. However, both of those times, it was a short segment on the show. no longer than maybe 5 minutes. This time, it dominated the majority of the show. WHY?! :angry: :anger: :pinch: :huh: :confused: :ermm: Uhh, enough of my bitchin' about that lets get to the actual show.

Segment 1: Rather actually enjoyed it. I like the Black Eyed Peas, and they opened the show really well. Say what you wanna say about it. I liked the fact that Liu Wen gave the high 5 to Taboo and I thought with was cool that Abby Lee Kershaw danced and interacted with the members of the BEP. Plus with the crowd with their neon lights in the air, kind of gave the performance more of a concert feel. I thought that was pretty cool.

Segment 2: WTF WAS THAT?! :wacko: :blink: Chances are most of you either found that "All Aboard" thing, amusing, or annoying. I was of the LATTER. <_< :yuckky: :x And you the thought the PINKS of past years were bad? This segment, talk about making me laugh and gag at the SAME TIME!!! Even the models were walking like "Let me get off this runway ASAP!!!" Not to mention they went OVERBOARD with the slow motion thing.

Segment 3: The PINK one. This was easily one of the silliest, amusing and/or annoying segments of years' past. The complete laughing stock of the VSFS. However, I rather enjoyed it this time around. The models seem to having fun, especially Lily Aldridge and Abbey Lee Kershaw. Lily got the SHAKING THAT FINE ASS!!! :drool: :D They did make a mistake with Abby here. She kinda had to show her ass because they put call me on the back of that peace, and had to play it off for the crowd. Thing is, Abby got NO ASS!!! :no: VS got it right this time. The PINK segment was enjoyable.

Intermission: Another performance by the BEP. Performing my favorite song "Meet Me Halfway". :D It was a decent performance. And I thought Fergie looked GREAT IN HER GREEN DRESS!!! :drool: Looked like she was thick in the thighs, and I LIKE THAT!!! I think the BEP did a great job for the VSFS this year.

Segment 4: The "Enchanted Forest". I thought Heidi wasn't supposed to walk this year. She pulled off, though, and they gave her the perfect dress cover up any of the post-birth weight she has. Not bad for a chick who just pushed a baby out 6 WEEKS AGO!!! :o All the girls looked good. They all to seemed to enjoy it. It would have perfect if they would slow up on the "slow motion" thing. Again, TOO MUCH OF IT!!!

Segment 5: The "Romantic Journey" was coo. The girl rising with the balloons, models looking great, and finally done with the "model search" DRAMA!!! :atoobie: :yes: :whistle: <_< I'm glad Kylie won, and thank god she held herself together. I love the segment mostly because of THE CHOIR SINGING!!! Those segment have always been my favorites, for the most part. And this time, they kept the "slow motion" thing to a minimum. :)

Finale are always whatever. Last hurrah for the models, blah blah blah. In closing, the positives were the mix of models. More ethnic models, more so that any of the previous VSFS. The outfits were good, and were most of the segments. No picking on models, or showing mistakes for "dramatic effect". Also, only one shot of a famous celebrity in the audience. :D :whistle: The negatives was the "model search". Do we care? :ermm: SHOULD WE CARE?! :no: Too much "slow motion"

All in all, a good show, but could have been so much better.

I'm sorry but the show sucked. Yeah they might of had good segments but that was only like 20 minutes. If the show is suppose to be an hour then I expect at least 40 minutes of runway and backstage and music peformances not half the show about girls crying and bitching because they didn't make it to the runway. The editing was bad since they needed to focus on whats her face for the entire last segment. Alot of slow mo action in my opinion. The show was not good and all the good parts were way to short. VS gets a big fat F from me.

I'm sorry but the show sucked. Yeah they might of had good segments but that was only like 20 minutes. If the show is suppose to be an hour then I expect at least 40 minutes of runway and backstage and music peformances not half the show about girls crying and bitching because they didn't make it to the runway. The editing was bad since they needed to focus on whats her face for the entire last segment. Alot of slow mo action in my opinion. The show was not good and all the good parts were way to short. VS gets a big fat F from me.

I guess this was a response to my post. The show sucked as a whole no doubt, mostly because of the model search bullshit. When they showed the models, along with the segments, the show really wasn't ALL THAT BAD!!! And I already mentioned they needed to slow their roll on the slow motion. 1 or 2 is i-ight, but 5 or 6 is just OVERKILL!!! As for the editing goofs, I'll leave that up to VampireHorde.

^OUCH! Stop shouting! :pinch:

I forgot to mention before - and credit where credit is due - but at least this year they stopped their fascination with members of the audience. There was the one token pan (culminating in Jay-Z), but perhaps they've realized we WANT to see the stage NOT other people looking at the stage with a better view than us. Baby steps to a better show, but baby steps nonetheless...

I forgot to mention before - and credit where credit is due - but at least this year they stopped their fascination with members of the audience. There was the one token pan (culminating in Jay-Z), but perhaps they've realized we WANT to see the stage NOT other people looking at the stage with a better view than us. Baby steps to a better show, but baby steps nonetheless...

You mean you don't get a thrill from knowing Dean Cain attends such prestigious events? Get outta town! The only time its ever genuinely troubled me was when they showed a gum chewing Jason Statham giving a cocky "she will be mine" look up at Candice. That was kind of unpleasant to watch, to be honest.

^^It's a show like THIS that makes me miss seeing shots of the audience from previous years. I mean, I really don't give a sh*t if Fergie thinks I'm "two thousand and late", EFF YOU, FERGIE!

It's probably too late to do this but if I had the time, I would upload my heavily edited 21-minute version of the 2009 show with ALL hints of the model search AND Kylie cut out for everyone to download. It would be just a blissful show without the backstabbing and fugliness.

As for GOOFS, I will re-watch the show (my edited version) and look for all the goofs and gaffes and I'll post them here. I caught a few of them during the broadcast and maybe you did, too.

The fact that I liked the commercials showing the lingerie, except the Lacie and Miraculous Pushup ones, better than the entire show just sums it up again for me. Why can 't we go back to having a show showcasing beautiful lingerie and gorgeous wings and models who actually know how to model and walk, period, end of report. Is that so hard? Really?

Can't someone put in simple language exactly what V.S.'s goal is these days? Are they trying to push balloons? Christmas tinsel garlands? CD's from a choir? BEP videos?? Will they be selling that in their stores now? Because I could not go in a V.S. secret store and ask for the piece of lingerie that so and so was wearing and spend my $$ on it, cuz I don't know what they were wearing except in the case of Behati. I got it that she was promoting the PINK line. Other than that, what exactly WAS anyone wearing that you could spot in the store?

Can someone just tell me that?

i agree. make the show beautiful and classy. no extra stuff

Its really sad but I loved the commercials more than the show this year. I wanted the show to stop airing and get back to the VS commercials. Except for the Lacie commmercial I kinda liked it but I think I had a seizure after watching it. Way to much flashing and not the good kind.

I still don't get why VS put all the model search episodes at vsallaccess.com if they put them on the FS!! :ninja:

I'm not against the Model Search, they could do it every year if they want to.. but please do it like in 07, just like 5 minutes from the show

Ew no more model search lol but i can handle it if it were only like 07. Something small and easy and really only for PINK.

Totally this show was disappointing. No matter which way you spin it people aren't happy in general. If you liked something about this show, then there is something else that you hated even more. In general it was cleary the model search this year. I thought because all that stuff was on VSAll Access that they would only put a small segment together, but i was wrong. Kylie really was forced down our throats. For a girl who only had one walk we saw her more times then any of the angels.

The only thing to do is look forward. Its so far away but let's just pray and hope that our next show (if there will be one) will be better.

Ratings were pretty solid so i think there might be one.

To be honest i think the show needs a major overhaul. I think switching networks is the first step. I'm not to fond of CBS. They had worked so well in the past but recently not so much. Maybe a new network with a new direction could possibly be a better thing.

Todd and Charlotte have done well before. They have been doing the shows for some time now. But they are running out of ideas. I dont know what can be done but i think they are getting to literal with the themes. I like that they enjoy teling a story but if you looka t 2003 and 2005 each theme did that but simply. Not like the girl lands from space in Paris then gets on a train and stops at PINK and journeys into an enchanted forestt then finishes her journey and becomes queen of the palace. I dont think people watching really even notice the journey. 2005 had just simple sexy themes. The bang bang section was just simple black lingerie and really thats it. Pieces didnt look overworked.

I think baby steps should be taken first. But something needs to change. But us major VS fans are really in the minority. General public dont care about angels, or show openers or fantasy bra. They just wanna watch a fun, entertaining show.

I agree with Kevork89, I think CBS was a major reason why the show wasn't "up to standard." I think having it on NBC might work better since there seems to be less censorship there and more of VS' target audience are NBC-watchers. Even if VS went back to ABC it would be cool too. I am one of the very few who really enjoyed the 2001 show b/c it was simple yet elegant, and it featured actual outfits you can buy in the stores and online. Best of all, it was an ACTUAL fashion show! I also really liked the bios they did on each model :hehe: However, I could imagine VS not wanting to go back to ABC since it is owned by Disney.

:heart:

EFF these networks! I would've gladly paid $50 if this was shown as a pay-per-view event. Imagine watching the VSFS LIVE without cuts! Of course, I'd still HATE it becuz of the model search, but it means only the REAL hardcore fans will tune in. At least with PPV, VS can show ANYTHING they want without censorship problems. Little Candice peek-a-boo of her ass? No problem! A nipple slip on the runway? Typical! Marisa saying the F-word? F*ck it!

On top of that, there would be much more juicy-saucy backstage footage instead of this PG-13 cutaway bullsh*t!