Bellazon

Football

goose

The Liverpool match was crazy yesterday. Rafa's a total enigma to me. :|

The Manchester United clean sheet record is really starting to irritate me; <_< you can't watch or listen to a match with them in without the commentators chatting about the record every two minutes or so. :cain:

Scolari sacked by Chelsea and Adams sacked by Pompey!! :o

I get the Adams sacking and feel rather sorry for the chap, but the Scolari one has come right out of the blue! :| It's a funny time to get rid of him, especially since the transfer window has just closed. I wonder who Chelsea will bring in?

Never a dull moment . . .

Scolari gone!? I knew some of the fans were starting to get restless but I did not see that one coming at all :blink:

I don't really remember him being quite as passive for Brazil and Portugal as he has been for Chelsea. The Scolari I remember from past World Cups and Euros was always full of hell, scrapping with opposition players and roaring at referees. This season, when the team started to falter after a great start, he just seemed to sit back and take it. Very strange.

The Adams sacking had been on the cards for a while though. The timing was unusual having come so close to beating Liverpool at the weekend, but they were in freefall in terms of their league position and in the end, two wins out of 18 or so games is relegation form.

Scolari gone!? I knew some of the fans were starting to get restless but I did not see that one coming at all :blink:

I don't really remember him being quite as passive for Brazil and Portugal as he has been for Chelsea. The Scolari I remember from past World Cups and Euros was always full of hell, scrapping with opposition players and roaring at referees. This season, when the team started to falter after a great start, he just seemed to sit back and take it. Very strange.

The Adams sacking had been on the cards for a while though. The timing was unusual having come so close to beating Liverpool at the weekend, but they were in freefall in terms of their league position and in the end, two wins out of 18 or so games is relegation form.

Spot on; good analysis. :) Scolari did seem to have been a bit out of sorts; :no: he was the only "top 4" manager who complimented the others. :laugh:

Oh yes, I meant to ask you, what did you make of Chimbonda's departure? And why, oh why, couldn't you have sold us Kenwyne? :(

Kenwyne could easily have moved on but hopefully he'll be with us for some time to come - it's always nice to see intent to keep our best players at the club (something we've often lacked in the past). Having said that, I'm not sure Kenwyne would have thrived at Spurs. He is unstoppable on his day and his sheer athleticism makes him a real threat to the opposition, but for the most part he's a total wild card and by no means the finished article yet.

I was definitely sad to see Chimbonda go so soon, although I really can't think of another Sunderland player who divided the fans' opinions quite as much as he did. Believe it or not, some rate Bardsley as a better player and think we're well shot of Pascal. Personally, I thought he was a cracking full back and a huge cut above what we already had at the club. Volatile yes, but a clever player who worked well with Malbranque down the right and gave us another dimension going forward. I guess his return has been overshadowed a little by the Keane transfer, but are the Spurs fans happy to see Pascal back?

Bardsley's no good, we tried him, a mediocre Championship level player if I ever saw one.

Bardsley arrived here at the same time as Jonny Evans and Andy Reid, and all three played a huge part in helping us stay up last season. So between that and our previous stream of godawful right-backs (who made him look brilliant in comparison), he became a bit of a favourite with the fans. This season, I think I'm starting to realise how limited he is. He's an honest player who'll put his head where the boots are flying but that's about as far as it goes. I forgot he spent time at Villa though, I take it most of the Villa fans have forgotten as well :laugh:

Kenwyne could easily have moved on but hopefully he'll be with us for some time to come - it's always nice to see intent to keep our best players at the club (something we've often lacked in the past). Having said that, I'm not sure Kenwyne would have thrived at Spurs. He is unstoppable on his day and his sheer athleticism makes him a real threat to the opposition, but for the most part he's a total wild card and by no means the finished article yet.

I was definitely sad to see Chimbonda go so soon, although I really can't think of another Sunderland player who divided the fans' opinions quite as much as he did. Believe it or not, some rate Bardsley as a better player and think we're well shot of Pascal. Personally, I thought he was a cracking full back and a huge cut above what we already had at the club. Volatile yes, but a clever player who worked well with Malbranque down the right and gave us another dimension going forward. I guess his return has been overshadowed a little by the Keane transfer, but are the Spurs fans happy to see Pascal back?

I heard that one of the reasons why he signed a new contract though was so that he could have a relegation release clause (£6 million) written into his contract. :/ He is a little mercurial but on his day he's superb. :) Sbragia did well hanging on to him. I bet you're happy that it didn't do through and you weren't lumbered with Darren Bent! :laugh:

Chimbonda has got a mixed reception really. Lots of fans think that he has a poor temperament - remember the Carling Cup final :/ - but I think that a slim majority of fans are happy to have him back as he's pretty handy and he's versatile, which is important as our defence are so injury prone. :laugh: Personally, I'm quite glad that he's back.

I was really quite surprised that he thinks really didn't work at Sunderland and that lots of the fans didn't like him. :/ Malbranque's done well though! I'm happy for him. How's Tainio doing?

I heard that one of the reasons why he signed a new contract though was so that he could have a relegation release clause (£6 million) written into his contract. :/ He is a little mercurial but on his day he's superb. :) Sbragia did well hanging on to him. I bet you're happy that it didn't do through and you weren't lumbered with Darren Bent! :laugh:

Chimbonda has got a mixed reception really. Lots of fans think that he has a poor temperament - remember the Carling Cup final :/ - but I think that a slim majority of fans are happy to have him back as he's pretty handy and he's versatile, which is important as our defence are so injury prone. :laugh: Personally, I'm quite glad that he's back.

I was really quite surprised that he thinks really didn't work at Sunderland and that lots of the fans didn't like him. :/ Malbranque's done well though! I'm happy for him. How's Tainio doing?

I think that's true about the contract, although there were a few conflicting stories about whether he already had the clause from the beginning or whether it's just been added. Personally, I don't really have too much of a problem with it - I tend to think getting relegated means it's virtually impossible to hang on to your best players anyway and even harder to command much more than £6-7 million for them. :(

Tainio's been impressive, but only really in short bursts so far. He's had an unlucky run of injuries since joining so unfortunately he hasn't had a decent chance to establish himself in the side as yet. He seems a useful player though - he reads the game well, protects the back four (again, something we were really crying out for last season) and always looks calm on the ball. If he could just get a few more games under his belt, I think he'd become a popular figure around here.

Is Bent really as bad as all that? I thought Harry was joking when he said he rated his wife as a better striker :laugh: