Bellazon

News

Czech supermodel Petra Nemcova, who was seriously injured in the Asian tsunami disaster, arrived home in the Czech Republic at the weekend and has been hospitalised in Prague, her father told the national CTK news agency.

"She seemed to be well," Oldrich Nemec told reporters after he was briefly reunited with his daughter. "But we did not talk about her state of health."

Nemcova (25) survived after waves swept into her holiday seaside bungalow in the Thai resort of Phuket by clinging to a tree for eight hours.

Her British photographer boyfriend Simon Atlee is still missing.

The model suffered a pelvic fracture and internal injuries but has been making a good recovery.

WOW :blink:

I read somewhere that she is may be facing amputation of her leg and may never be able to walk again. Do you think this is the media being the media as usual, or does anyone know if this has some element of truth?

Edit: Here is the article. I think it's just because it is one of the earlier articles that they thought it was so serious.

MODEL PETRA NEMCOVA WILL SHE LOSE HER LEG?

Petra Nemcova and Boyfriend Simon Atlee

Gorgeous Czechborn Victoria's Secret supermodel Petra Nemcova sustained injuries in the south Asia tsunami that were so devastating she may never walk again, a source tells Star.

The stunning 25-year-old runway princess and her boyfriend, London-based fashion photographer Simon Atlee, were in their beachfront bungalow in Phuket, Thailand, on Dec. 26 when a mammoth wave knocked it down.

The wave swept Atlee out to sea --he's still missing -- and broke Nemcova's pelvis and crushed her leg. A source close to Nemcova tells Star, "We don't know if she will walk again. She might have to have an amputation."

After latching onto a palm tree for eight hours and watching corpses float by, Petra -- a Sports Illustrated swimsuit model -- was saved and airlifted to a hospital.

Tragically, Atlee, 33, hasn't been found. Nemcova's rep tells Star: "Petra's safely recovering in a hospital in Thailand. She's in shock." She and Atlee have been dating for two years, and Petra planned their Thailand trip as a surprise.

A source tells Star that Nemcova is on potent painkillers and "doesn't realize how bad her condition is. Her awareness of the magnitude of the disaster may not be in line with reality. She understands Simon is missing, but she still thinks he'll be found. She's not at the point where she feels that there's no chance that he's alive."

Nemcova's sister Olga, 23, flew to Thailand from New York on Dec. 27 to be at her sister's side. The source says Olga will decide if Petra will be treated in Czechoslovakia or the U.S.

-- DAVID CAPLAN

Nemcova: "I've Not Profitted from Tsunami Injuries"

Supermodel Petra Nemcova has hit out at reports she was paid $1.5 million by an American magazine to pose for pictures while laying injured in a Thai hospital. The Czech catwalk queen broke a pelvis and suffered internal injuries in the tsunami that struck south east Asia on December 26. Nemcova, who was last week flown home to hospital in the Czech capital Prague, was snapped by Us Weekly magazine while still in Thailand. But she insists she refused to be paid for the shots, instead asking the publicat ion to donate all money raised from the photos to the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF), who are helping children affected by the deadly wave. Nemcova is, meanwhile, recovering slowly and is still bedridden and unable to walk. The 25-year-old was holidaying with her photographer boyfriend Simon Atlee in the Thai resort of Phuket over Christmas. She survived by clinging onto a tree for hours after her cabin was destroyed and she was swept away by a wave, but 33-year-old Englishman Atlee is missing presumed dead.

^ that was on imdb right now

and i read that somewhere too iris...i dont know what to believe...i hope not.

Like Paranoid said, I would take anything that Star magazine reports with a a grain of salt. I have yet to read anything about Petra losing her leg in any other periodical. It has almost been a month since the disaster happened, I would think an amputation would have already occured at this point.

I read also the thing with the amputation but it was from a trash paper. too. so i thought I infrom myself of how bad her injuries really are. All the sources I've found just say that she has some injuries but will recover and that her boyfriend is missing. Nothing more and nothing less and I think that's the truth.

If her leg needed amputation, it would have been done already. Anything that requires amputation is usually serious enough, that they can't just let the leg hang out there for a few weeks while it's decided.

So I'm gonna go with, no the story is probably not real. :)