Bellazon

News

There's an article and a few pictures of Petra featured in this week's US magazine (two hospital pics, a picture of her and Atlee, and her 2003 SI cover).

A Supermodel's Lost Love

Petra Nemcova lost her boyfriend at a Thai resort when the tsunami hit. Now she shares her photos with Us to help raise money for charity.

A week after the December 26 tsunami devastated coasts from South Asia to Africa, killing an estimated 150,000 people, Czech model Petra Nemcova is still convalescing in a Thai hospital with a shattered pelvis. With her sister, Olga, at her side, the Sports Illustrated swimsuit model, 25, must now deal not only with the pain of her injuries but also with the loss of her boyfriend, British photographer Simon Atlee, 33, who is presumed dead. "Petra's in tears," Nemcova's publicist, Rob Shuter, tells Us. "She's in deep shock." Adding to the tragedy: She may have been just days away from an engagement. A source close to Atlee says, "He was going to propose this year. He was asking her friends, 'When do you think would be a good time?'"

Lone Survivor

On the morning of December 26, Nemcova, a Victoria's Secret model, and Atlee, her boyfriend of two years, were in their bungalow at a beach resort in Khaolak. Nemcova recalls hearing kids playing on the shore just before the wave hit. As seawater crashed into their room, they were sucked out by a broken window. "It was so powerful, I couldn't get out of it," she has said. Nemcova's pelvis was smashed by a piece of wood, and a second wave pushed her under the water, beneath a layer of garbage. In her struggle, she lost sight of Atlee. As bodies and wreckage swirled around her, she clung to the top of a palm tree and resisted being swept out to sea. Eight hours passed before she was rescued and taken to the hospital, where she asked everyone whether Atlee had been found. Since then, Nemcova - the only known survivor from her hotel - "has come to the conclusion that Simon is probably not alive," Shuter tells us. "But she does not yet know that the chances of finding his body are slim." Still, Nemcova is grateful to be in a hospital when so many others perished. "She believes she got a second chance in life," her sister has said, "and she treasures this gift."

And..I'd just like to say, those of you that are actually happy that her boyfriend is presumed dead or find it humorous..Petra would hardly consider someone with such a twisted mindset a suitable next boyfriend. It broke my heart to hear she was almost engaged..I can have a real callous sense of humor but I don't think this is funny in the least.

Wow, didn't realize she was the only known survivor in her hotel. She's much tougher than she looks. Wasn't such a big Petra fan before, but you gotta admire here strength and toughness.

A guy on another message board I frequent actually was pleased at the fact that her bf is missing and is most probably dead. It is really disturbing how harsh and mean people can be and how much disdain they have for human suffering and pain.

A guy on another message board I frequent actually was pleased at the fact that her bf is missing and is most probably dead. It is really disturbing how harsh and mean people can be and how much disdain they have for human suffering and pain

What are the chances of him even coming across Petra in person..much less her running into his arms? That guy is a moron.

Guest Lullaby

Czech supermodel Petra Nemcova, who was seriously injured in the Asian tsunami disaster, arrived home in the Czech Republic at the weekend and has been hospitalised in Prague, her father told the national CTK news agency.

"She seemed to be well," Oldrich Nemec told reporters after he was briefly reunited with his daughter. "But we did not talk about her state of health."

Nemcova (25) survived after waves swept into her holiday seaside bungalow in the Thai resort of Phuket by clinging to a tree for eight hours.

Her British photographer boyfriend Simon Atlee is still missing.

The model suffered a pelvic fracture and internal injuries but has been making a good recovery.