Bellazon

True Detective

PinkCouture

Season 2:

The series will use an anthology format, with each season
featuring a different cast of characters and story.

True Detective season 2: Brad Pitt being lined up to replace Matthew McConaughey

The hunt for a new pair of True Detectives is on after Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson confirmed they would not be back for season 2, with Brad Pitt being one of the names in the frame.

The role is one of the most coveted in Hollywood thanks to the success and scope of the HBO drama, which will start afresh with a new case and new police investigators for its second outing.

According to Hollywood Life: "Brad’s name has come up many times, it’s just a matter of what his other commitments are.

"Brad has tight relations with HBO — he teamed up with Ryan Murphy last year to produce the HBO movie The Normal Heart. I know everyone would be thrilled to have him onboard."

The actor's casting is only in the very early stages then, if the rumours are to be believed, though the new detectives may not even be a pair or male.

Pitt is no stranger to gritty crime roles, having previously played a detective in Se7en, which told the story of a case about as grisly as they come.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

True Detective' season 2 will be "less dark" and hit screens next summer

True Detective season 2 will be "less dark" says HBO's programming director Michael Lombardo. He also revealed the show is due to start shooting next month and air next summer with final casting announcements to be made soon. Variety reports that Lombardo told the audience at the Guardian International Television Festival in Edinburgh that the new season of True Detective “won’t be quite as dark as the first”. But he cautioned that the show's creator Nic Pizzolatto will "explore the darkness in people's souls".

“It’s still dark," said Lombardo. "It’s not as dark, but it’s not a light ride. Nic likes looking into the crevices of the soul.” According to The Hollywood Reporter, Lombardo also told the audience: "We’re going to start shooting in September for it to air next summer." He confirmed the show has "different characters" and "a different setting".

"It’s set in California, all of California. There are three cops. One of the characters is female. I think that’s probably all I’m allowed to say," said Lombardo. "We’ll probably be announcing casting soon." As previously reported, Vince Vaughn and Mad Men's Elisabeth Moss have been in talks for lead roles while rumours abound that Colin Farrell and Taylor Kitsch will also be cast.

Carey Fukunaga directed all eight episodes of the first season but "three or four" directors will get a shot at season 2 with Lombardo claiming the writing from Pizzolato is even better than the first season.

True Detective is nominated for five Emmy Awards including best drama series and best lead actor for both Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey. The 66th annual Oscars equivalent for television takes place in Los Angeles on August 25.

I know people always bring this up, but Elisabeth Moss is an acting force of nature. I'm certain she'll be great, it's mainly Vince Vaughn that I'm iffy about.

Would prefer to see Fukunaga direct at least a few of the new episodes, although I'd like to think that he’s already set the standards high enough. The framework he created in the first season was such that any new director would have to be stark raving mad to try and pull it up by the roots now.

I really hope they think about introducing the villain earlier this time around, though. As much as I liked S1 as a whole, the ending seemed rather rushed and I left feeling strangely unsatisfied.

• 4 weeks later...

Actor Colin Farrell confirmed to the Sunday World that he has been cast in the second season of HBO’s popular miniseries True Detective.

“I’m doing the second series. I’m so excited,” the 38-year-old said.

The Irish actor added:

I know it will be eight episodes and take around four or five months to shoot. I know very little about it, but we’re shooting in the environs of Los Angeles which is great. It means I get to stay at home and see the kids.

Farrell said the rest of the cast is still being locked down, but Rachel McAdams and Elisabeth Moss have been rumored to be vying for the role opposite him, that of a no-nonsense Californian sheriff.

Requests for confirmation from HBO and Farrell’s reps were not immediately returned

The series’ first season was nominated for five Emmys and was awarded one, for Outstanding Director to Cary Fukunaga.