Bellazon

True Detective

PinkCouture

Read the announcement as Taylor Swift. Now I'm oddly disappointed. :Angel:

Kitsch has been in some notoriously poor action movies, but that doesn't make him a bad actor. Some of the lesser parts he's played have been really quite good. As long as they put him in a role where he can do himself justice, I've no worries.

On 10/28/2014 at 5:33 PM, Michael* said:
Read the announcement as Taylor Swift. Now I'm oddly disappointed. :Angel:

Kitsch has been in some notoriously poor action movies, but that doesn't make him a bad actor. Some of the lesser parts he's played have been really quite good. As long as they put him in a role where he can do himself justice, I've no worries.

Oh thanks God that it's not T. Swift! :D

I read about Rachel McAdams too! That would be a fair choice! I kind of like her as well.

And now you made me curious about Lone Survivor, though I've always been that about Taylor. 

He must be a good actor if a big studio like Disney had trust in him to give him the main role in their movie. But I believe you that those action movies are crap. But Taylor is...  :wub2:

True Detective’s New Female Characters Are Not Very Surprising

Will True Detective ever cast a female character who's not a long-suffering wife, a prostitute, or a victim of unspeakable sexual horror? Maybe, but not this week: Deadline reports that four new recurring characters are close to joining the cast, including Mad Men's Abigail Spencer as "Alicia, the survivor of a sexual attack," and The Hunger Games' Leven Rambin as "Sophia, a beauty with a history of drug problems." More encouraging is the addition of Sherlock's Kelly Reilly, playing a character only described as "self-possessed." We'll take it!

vulture.com

Will True Detective ever cast a female character who's not a long-suffering wife, a prostitute, or a victim of unspeakable sexual horror? Maybe, but not this week: Deadline reports that four new recurring characters are close to joining the cast, including Mad Men's Abigail Spencer as "Alicia, the survivor of a sexual attack," and The Hunger Games' Leven Rambin as "Sophia, a beauty with a history of drug problems." More encouraging is the addition of Sherlock's Kelly Reilly, playing a character only described as "self-possessed." We'll take it!

vulture.com

It wasnt the portrayal of women as victims which at least I found marginally distasteful in season 1. It was rather like shallow individuals. But to some extent I'm ok with that because the plot/setting itself was like that, concerned with ritualized violence, obscurantism/fanaticism. Women were there simply to depict, in an albeit ironic way, the contradictions of patriarchal society. In fact, there might even be emancipatory message between the lines like how fucked up patriarchal society really is.

vulture.com

It wasnt the portrayal of women as victims which at least I found marginally distasteful in season 1. It was rather like shallow individuals. But to some extent I'm ok with that because the plot/setting itself was like that, concerned with ritualized violence, obscurantism/fanaticism. Women were there simply to depict, in an albeit ironic way, the contradictions of patriarchal society. In fact, there might even be emancipatory message between the lines like how fucked up patriarchal society really is.

I'm very doubtful if this patriarchal society still existing especially in Rich World. I think it has never really existed in so called "New Europe".

But back to series if that rumors with Rachel McAdams are somehow confirmed??

But back to series if that rumors with Rachel McAdams are somehow confirmed??

Just rumour yet, as far as I know...

A source confirms to E! News that Black Box alum Kelly Reilly has landed a series regular role, and Almost Human's Michael IrbySuits star Abigail Spencer and The Tomorrow People'Leven Rambin have all scored recurring roles.

These four will join the previously reported True Detective season two stars Colin Farrell, Vince Vaughn and Kitsch, while Rachel McAdams is rumored to be near a deal to play the fourth and final lead role. Our source tell us both Reilly and Spencer were in contention for McAdams' lead role, but the network wanted to go with a more well-known name instead.

• 2 months later...

http://www.freudoutloud.com/

Judson Memorial Church and the award winning New Books in Psychoanalysis are pleased to announce a marathon reading of Sigmund Freud’s classic text, Civilization and Its Discontents. Everyone is invited.

Few thinkers have looked so unflinchingly at human aggression as has the founder of psychoanalysis. While the guns of August still echoed and European Anti-Semitism grew rife, Freud wrote Civilization and Its Discontents, declaring: “Man is wolf to man. Who ... will have the courage to dispute this assertion?”

The 21st century offers no disputation; slaughter reigns supreme: the massacres in Santa Barbara and Newtown, the killings in the Ukraine, Iraq, Gaza, Afghanistan, the racially motivated murders of Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown, the sexual assault of women on college campuses, the beheadings, the chokeholds, the drones, the endless violence.          

“In these days of darkness and violence, Civilization and Its Discontents allows us to greet the New Year with the hope it paradoxically inspires,” says the psychoanalyst and organizing committee member Muriel Dimen......

According to Dale Peck, “…Civilization and Its Discontents reminds us that it’s sometimes necessary to step back and…realize that the problems we confront are symptoms of a tension that is as old as civilization itself, and unless we address the underlying condition, we will never cure the disease." 

“To read Civilization and its Discontents in 2015,” says Simon Critchley, “is to bear witness to the deadly violence whose daily presence is all-too-familiar to us and imagine the conditions that might provide a loving counterweight to that violence.”

IDK Whoever came up with that but its a really fitting way to usher in the new year. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

If memory serves, the German accents were almost all hilarious in that. Although I quite enjoyed it overall. :)

It's starting to feel like TD is becoming the place to be for actors looking to get their teeth into something a little more challenging. I could easily see McAdams stealing the show, Kitsch is a lot better than he's given credit for and Farrell can be good when he's on form. Vaughn seems like the wild card here, but what do I know, I thought the same thing about Matthew McConaughey once upon a time. :laugh:

One of the most impressive things about S1 was the atmosphere it was able to create, you could have cut it with a knife. I wonder if they'll be able to replicate that, or even if they'll try to, in what appears to be a fairly standard police procedural location.