Bellazon

The "What Are You Thinking About Right Now?" PIP

Francesca

^

Ha. My mother had me 'on accident' while she was a graduate student. The she got married (and then divorced shortly afterwards) to consummate the deal...

I would hope people get the chance to choose, but sometimes they don't. :-p

^

Ha. My mother had me 'on accident' while she was a graduate student. The she got married (and then divorced shortly afterwards) to consummate the deal...

I would hope people get the chance to choose, but sometimes they don't. :-p

Well, she could have chosen it. The beauty of abortions, honestly. lol

That's easier to say than to experience, I'm afraid. :) What exists in 'theory' and agitprop doesn't always pan out when you have to make a decision that you have to live with- which is overwhelming guilt and depression that many people feel for doing it.

Same thing with deciding to make a family. When you have money and have accomplished many of the things you wanted to do then it can easily become a new desire.

That's easier to say than to experience, I'm afraid. :) What exists in 'theory' and agitprop doesn't always pan out when you have to make a decision that you have to live with- which is overwhelming guilt and depression that many people feel for doing it.

Same thing with deciding to make a family. When you have money and have accomplished many of the things you wanted to do then it can easily become a new desire.

Not saying she should have, or that it would/wouldn't have personal ramifications, but it is always an option. Though now that I think of it, I'm not sure what year your mother would've been pregnant, so there is a chance it wasn't.

I will also say this, an abortion is much cheaper than a baby.

:) Obviously. But what's not obvious will be your behavior when/if the time comes. It will be affected by a multitude of factors (emotional, situational, the partner, etc.) that will override the simple 'plan' that governed what you anticipated you'd do. The whole 'feeling' of Love is mostly an irrational force, and so are many the emotions involved with pregnancy and abortion. It's not completely about logic or reason anymore but also your mental programming bequeathed to you regarding the potential passing of your genes combined with the suitability of your partner as a successful father. And sometimes, the genetic programming wins, and your whole perception of the situation will be distorted in that direction. And so will your decision-making.

Not saying she should have, or that it would/wouldn't have personal ramifications, but it is always an option. Though now that I think of it, I'm not sure what year your mother would've been pregnant, so there is a chance it wasn't.

:) Obviously. But what's not obvious will be your behavior when/if the time comes. It will be affected by a multitude of factors (emotional, situational, the partner, etc.) that will override the simple 'plan' that governed what you anticipated you'd do. The whole 'feeling' of Love is mostly an irrational force, and so are many the emotions involved with pregnancy and abortion. It's not completely about logic or reason anymore but also your mental programming bequeathed to you regarding the potential passing of your genes combined with the suitability of your partner as a successful father. And sometimes, the genetic programming wins, and your whole perception of the situation will be distorted in that direction. And so will your decision-making.

I can't disagree with what you are saying, (as you know ;)) people take things very differently. While I would never be flippant about a decision of that magnitude, if I were to have an abortion due to some horrible accidental pregnancy, I know for a fact it would not be a fun experience for a multitude of reasons. Still, I am also of the firm belief that if caught early enough it's just a cluster of cells. About as important as some egg yoke in me. It's not a a baby, especially since the neural system is not remotely complete within the first trimester and can't feel temperature changes, let alone pain; it doesn't have a brain. As for my partner, or seminal contributor lol, I (perhaps coldly or naively; not mutually exclusive) believe could not sway me to have one or not. Being almost obnoxiously pro-choice, if they don't have to carry it, they don't get a say. If it ends the relationship or marriage, that is unfortunate.

While the need/desire to pass on ones genetics may be strong, in my case, I cannot fathom it being strong enough to make me carry something I do not want to term. Not only do I not like children, and find pregnancy almost repulsive, the adoption system is saturated with children. I am also Hispanic, white children are more likely to get adopted, so my hypothetical child would have a hard time finding a stable family. I'd rather get rid of something that is basically a cluster of cells than have it be born and deal with a life that statistically speaking, would suck.

This isn't so say, that I won't have children or love them, but I know my aversions would not allow an unwanted pregnancy to turn wanted.

Too Long, Didn't Read Version: I would have an abortion and make myself red-velvet abortion cupcakes with fondant embryos on the top to celebrate a good decision; didn't ruin my life.

Reading these posts ^^ made me think of all the wrong reasons women decide to have children :banghead: like that girl, who isn't even 30 yet but got pregnant 'on purpose' with some loser cause she was afraid ~time is running out~ and the baby daddy wouldn't even acknowledge that this is HIS baby. And such scenario was predictable from the beginning on.