Bellazon

The "What Are You Thinking About Right Now?" PIP

Francesca

6 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

With my birthday feelings, it's not about COVID or the events of this year.  More about impermanence of life.  To most people their birthday puts them in a naturally celebratory mood, for me it's more like the one day that I really feel in my bones that life is coming closer to the end.  It's also the day where I most remember an accounting of past mistakes/missed opportunities due to lack of wisdom- both natural/understandable and volitional-  over the course of my entire life.  This is the day of regrets and "what-ifs".  It's when I think of aging relatives and think on their death.   It's a year-end review, however the negative feelings are stronger than the positive ones.  I end with thinking of how time is really the most valuable resource on this earth.

Maybe models, since their identity is so wrapped up in maintaining transitory physical perfection, have some similar feelings.  

Hmm, I see. Time is definitely the most valuable resource. Its scarcity is also what makes us do something of our lives.

On 8/26/2020 at 1:06 PM, elfstone said:

I rescued a kitten from the street about month ago. Couldnt make the time to get him vaccinated.  Lost him to fpv today... :(

He had the most striking heterochromia I have ever seen. 

I’m sorry to read that about your cat. 

On 8/27/2020 at 8:07 PM, Cult Icon said:

Nietzsche himself was a Greek scholar and professor, it couldn't have been accidental. Aristotle also has his concept of "natural slave" which reminds me of Master- slave morality.

He was definitely strongly influenced by the Ancient Greeks, but he doesn't like everything in them. He really hates Socrates and Plato, there are many pages where he trashes them, where he says they embodied resentment. He criticizes their declining views, but what he hates the most is their use of ideals that are alienating us from our nature and life. He's really critical of their ascetism, because he thinks it's a life-denying value, he doesn't like morality and ideals in the sense that they twist and deny our instincts, for no good reason. He thinks that it levels us down and muffles improvement.

As for Aristotle, there are many parallels between their philosophies, mostly their vision of nobility, and, as you say, the master-slave morality (which is very close to Aristoteleian concepts), but Nietzsche is also critical of Aristotle (not as much as with Plato though). He thinks Aristotle didn't really understand the concept of tragedy, because for Nietzsche, the tragedy is, above all, the research for life-affirming values. The concept of Good that Artistotle use is also something that doesn't fit well with Nietzsche's views IMO.

All in all, Nietzsche is a moral relativist. He doesn't prescribe much, he mostly wants to free those who can be freed from the shackles of moralities. He wants us to question the values of values and to choose what we want, with our critical thinking. Nietzsche's philosophical tool is the hammer. A hammer that breaks and what he builds on top of the debris is just an intuitive search for life-affirming actions and a trust of your nature, fate and body.

His main takeaways from the Greeks are the tragedy and the opposition between Dionysos and Appolo (you're gonna read about that in Birth of Tragedy).

Aristotelian ethics are virtue ethics.   It seems to me that the Nicomachean ethics was a "mission statement" for the ideal Athenian patriot.  In here "happiness" is defined as a life of virtuous acts of big impact, the pinnacle of its is the "magni-psychos (spelling)" which is basically an aristocrat with noblesse oblige who spends big money on great things.   This is where Stoicism and Buddhism/hinduism/and other Indian philosophies differ, through 2,500+ years of practice they have found the highest state to be that of the deathless, or in other words complete and perfect enlightenment, nirvana, etc.  There is also modern cognitive neuroscience, coined "neurodharma" that proves this to be correct.  So I find the Aristotelian concept of happiness  flawed in this respect.  Interestingly enough US positive psychology prefers both external and internal forces, with Aristotle as the founder.

So happiness can be entirely generated internally due to the true realization of emptiness, that objects/states have no separate and independent existence.  It seems to me that the Existentialists Heidegger and Sarte also have their own forms of emptiness/no self, (the fourth noble truth of Buddhism), explored in "Being and Time" and "Being and Nothingness".

Aristotle's ethics are virtue ethics. Nietzsche's ethics are mostly about questionning the values of values. He's a moral relativist. I know some people say his ethics are an instance of virtue ethics, but I disagree. As much as he praises (directly or not) Aristotle, he's also very critical of him.

If you look at the concept of Amor Fati (a key concept in Nietzsche's philosophy), you'll see that he's much closer to buddhism than you think (he said that he could be the Buddha of Europe - though he criticizes Buddhims right after... but that's how he is, skeptical). Also, Nietzsche doesn't prescribe much, because he thinks that a philosophy is mostly a confession of its author.

A few months ago I re-read "Hitler and the Power of Aethetics" and Nietzche/Nazi connection was explored here, basically the Nazis abused his concepts for their political uses and connected with his family.  The pinnacle of Nazi art was the Aryan superman, basically a more vicious looking Greek/Roman sculpture.

Nietzsche hated anti-semitism. He described himself as an anti-anti-semite. He despised the antisemtes, he saw them as mediocre people full of resentment. His sister and brother in law were antisemites (that's why he had arguments with them). Also, he liked Wagner when he was young (music is at the center of his philosophy - that's partly why I like him), but he ended up hating him later because Wagner became an antisemite. So, he's really far away from nazi values.

As for the Übermensch (the superman), the Nazis (and his sister) really didn't understand what it's about.

I'm been studying Stoicism and Buddhism throughout 2020 and have largely finished both, with some loose ends for the latter left.  It's been a transformation experience and I see things more clearly than ever before.  Now I am looking for western philosophical perspectives in aid of moving towards enlightenment, so I have turned to existentialism as planned.  In Buddhism the foundational concepts of the nature of desire, suffering, and the cessation of suffering (dependent origination) and impermanence are considered easier to truly grasp, existentially, than no-self and emptiness. For me this has also been the case.  No self and emptiness is more of a challenge.   A priority of mine to discover more of the existentialist perspectives on emptiness and no-self.

Youtube has the Dreyfuss lectures and all sorts of prep material on existentialism.  I will be focusing on comprehending Nietzsche's works and Heidegger's Being and Time plus some side study of Schopenhauer and Kierkegaard plus other existentialist topics.  In particular Schopenhauer seems to have plagiarized a lot from Hinduism and Buddhism lol.  I may do his key work, Will and Representation.  Maybe some Sartre too.

7 hours ago, Stromboli1 said:

America is burning leading up to the election and will continue to burn no matter who wins. :banghead::no:

Certain politicians are basically praising the violence.

Politicization of every topic + bipolarization of politics + considering that folks on the other side are all psychos + politicians drunk with power + politicians with no beliefs/values/empathy + biased media = the recipe for civil war. :/

On 8/28/2020 at 9:37 PM, Matt! said:

+1

Mr.Boseman was such a gentleman from what I have seen, in interviews. 
Sympathies to his family, friends and his fans. May what legacy he had started continues and inspires others. 

Cancer SUCKS! 

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/chadwick-boseman-cancer-patients-black-panther-1234753614/?cx_testId=49&cx_testVariant=cx_1&cx_artPos=4#cxrecs_s

and 

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/chadwick-boseman-dead-hollywood-reaction-1234753238/

^ Wow, I read Boseman's story. He fought a battle against a colon cancer during 4 years, without never saying anything or complaining about it. I have the utmost respect for him. It's always sad to see people with great inner-strength pass away.

RIP.

https://globalnews.ca/video/7305354/black-panther-star-chadwick-boseman-passes-away-from-cancer-at-age-43