Bellazon

Leonardo DiCaprio - (Please Read First Post Prior to Posting)
Thumbnail

moiselles

Still the king of oscar speeches :p

How Did These Become the Most Watched Oscar Speeches on YouTube?

most-popular-oscars-speeches-on-youtube-

Leonardo DiCaprio, Jennifer Lawrence, and Natalie Portman might be predictable favorites—but there are so, so many more great acceptance speeches where those came from.

As anybody who’s ever attended high school knows, popularity is an ephemeral thing—and questioning why someone or something is popular is a fool’s errand and a ticket to a lifetime of frustration. And yet here we sit with the knowledge that Leonardo DiCaprio’s Oscar acceptance speech for 2015’s The Revenant is the most viewed video on the official Oscars YouTube channel. To be clear, it’s a perfectly gracious speech, half of which is spent on the very worthy subject of climate change. And certainly Leonardo DiCaprio doesn’t lack popularity, being one of the biggest movie stars in the world. But in the 94 years of Oscar acceptance speeches, his is not really one people talk about all that much, and nothing incredibly memorable happens in it.

So what’s the deal here? Do YouTube viewers see something we don’t? Or do they just not know how many other incredible speeches are waiting for them on the Oscars channel? Below are the 10 most viewed acceptance speeches on the official Oscars YouTube channel, our theories on how they got there, and some more speeches that offer a lot more where those came from. (A note: all view totals are from time of publication, and will inevitably shift as time goes by.)

Leonardo DiCaprio, 2016 Best Actor for The Revenant

Views: 47,595,581

Why It’s Popular: DiCaprio’s Oscar win was famously a long time coming, after five previous nominations and several other iconic performances (Titanic!) that were snubbed entirely. You see that mixture of joy and relief on DiCaprio’s face when he’s finally on the stage, and it’s undeniably joyful.

Why It’s Unexpected: Beyond that small nonverbal moment, it’s a pretty typical Oscar speech, all things considered. Yes, there’s a full minute about the urgency of fighting climate change, but are these views really being goosed by environmental activists flocking to one minute of a six-year-old speech? If anything, I’d credit the reaction shot of Leo’s Titanic costar Kate Winslet (as well as her husband, the erstwhile Ned Rocknroll) with her hands clasped in pride and relief for her friend.

More Where That Came From: If you’re looking for a long-overdue Oscar win with a truly dynamite acceptance speech, definitely check out Shirley MacLaine winning for Terms of Endearment in 1984 (1,216,499 views), a speech where MacLaine jokes about her belief in past lives, nods to the “turbulent brilliance” of Debra Winger, her costar with whom she reportedly famously feuded, and caps the whole thing off with a succinct “I deserve this.”

Source

If you wonder who's next in line: Matthew McConaughey, 2014 Best Actor for Dallas Buyers Club (Views: 26,320,813)

41 minutes ago, LuckyGirl said:

The person who tweeted this photo said he was in Guam

CFA337B0-B4C4-461C-A726-D30D99C301BE.jpeg

@Magical sending positive thoughts up for you during this time of loss. 

Yeah, he and Tobey are on an eco-tour.

Thanks, y'all for the updates, trivia, and commentary.

@kellybsblover stay stress-free. Hope all is well. 

Article that went with video above

Fans flock to Tumon to catch visiting Tobey Maguire and Leonardo DiCaprio

Everyone's spidey senses were tingling, and those who shook their hands were begging to never let go.

After photos circulated social media of Hollywood actors Toby Maguire and Leonardo DiCaprio on Guam, fans flocked to Tumon in the hopes of catching a moment with the stars. Daryl Garcia, shares how running into one of his friends got him placed at the right place at the right time
"And Ton was like there they are. I turned over and I looked, I was like that's Toby Maguire, that's Leonardo DiCaprio right there walking towards us," he said. "Ton had a gift bag so when they went to the elevator, Ton had the guts to go to the elevator to give them the items, and then I was there and he fist-bumped them, and then I fist-bumped them. I was just shaking the entire time. Spider-man was like my thing as a kid."

Garcia, an avid movie buff, shared in a tweet that he won't be washing his hand for a while. Sources tell KUAM, that DiCaprio is just passing through en route to Indonesia for a film.

https://www.kuam.com/story/45983313/fans-flock-to-tumon-to-catch-visiting-tobey-maguire-and-leonardo-dicaprio

1 hour ago, akatosh said:

Poor Leo being hunted down with fans and their phonecams 😆

One thing I will keep in mind if I ever met Leo I would leave my phone in the bag so he doesn't run away in panic and maybe talk to me instead:D

This- I wouldn't even pull out a phone--- he is human just like the rest of us.

58 minutes ago, YouNoMe said:

Now, I know how to do this crap 💩! Never mind me, these are trial posts. 

Congratulation. 🥳 Feel free to be proud for a moment. I know I did when I figured s-it out. 😃