Bellazon

Football

goose

In my opinion, a win on Sunday should immediately see them installed as firm favourites. I saw a stat somewhere that they've taken 60-something points from 26 matches since losing back-to-back games in January. Spread that across a full season and you'd end up with a total in the mid 90s - close to a Premier League record.

Roy Keane and Mick McCarthy's ongoing frostiness, Terry Butcher's goggle-eyed press photoshoot for Hibs, Paolo Di Canio and Martin O'Neill starting the type of flame war usually only reserved for the Barbara Palvin topic at BZ. Never let it be said that ex-Sunderland managers aren't doing their bit to break up the usual dullness of international week!

Well that's us back to earth after defeats against Colombia (who are admittedly quite good) and Japan (who were coming off a truly horrendous run prior to their Holland friendly).

Japan game was especially worrying as we were thoroughly outplayed by Honda (a class act) and a Man U reserve (I kid, I kid).

I've noticed my very own Ashley Westwood has replaced mundane functional midfield play with an alarming tendency to slide into reckless tackles while Joe Bennett showed a few Cattermole-esque moves last year, presumably one of many reasons why he hasn't appeared much this season. Fabian Delph, improbably one of our better players in 2013, usually picks up a yellow in the eight minute of every game but its usually a mis-timed fair dinkum caution, clumsy but with no malice. Alan Hutton (the Scottish Cafu, if you prefer) was, nay, is a genuine, straight-up thug and simply had no place in the sacred colours, as Lambert recognised.

Tbh without the 1890s titles, Villa wouldn't be so succesful as they are today, isn't it?