Bellazon

Erin Heatherton
Thumbnail

chrisis511

I am happy for Erin and the "new place," she has worked to get to.  However, let's not forget that not that long ago, while under contract to VS, she brought up the subject that VS was not where her heart was (and I'm paraphrasing now), that she wanted to do more humanitarian service, etc.. Probably not the thing VS or any other employer would like to hear from a model they clearly have made a financial commitment to. 

Also, the weight issue....Let me just say, that if it is in her contract that she needs to meet certain weight targets, and she consents to this stipulation, and takes the money, she shouldn't throw VS under the bus when she can no longer satisfy this requirement.  Period, the end.

She's a big girl.  She understands how the business of modeling works.  She understands that bodies change and sometimes it is out of one's control.  She also understands that VS is looking for a specific image, or type and this is what they are paying for. 

She could have spoken on the subject matter of body image without attempting to cast VS in a bad light. I'm certainly no VS apologist here. In my opinion, her speaking out says more about her inner struggles with her own ideas of body image than it does about anything improper VS might have done.

4 hours ago, Samiot said:

I am happy for Erin and the "new place," she has worked to get to.  However, let's not forget that not that long ago, while under contract to VS, she brought up the subject that VS was not where her heart was (and I'm paraphrasing now), that she wanted to do more humanitarian service, etc.. Probably not the thing VS or any other employer would like to hear from a model they clearly have made a financial commitment to. 

Also, the weight issue....Let me just say, that if it is in her contract that she needs to meet certain weight targets, and she consents to this stipulation, and takes the money, she shouldn't throw VS under the bus when she can no longer satisfy this requirement.  Period, the end.

She's a big girl.  She understands how the business of modeling works.  She understands that bodies change and sometimes it is out of one's control.  She also understands that VS is looking for a specific image, or type and this is what they are paying for. 

She could have spoken on the subject matter of body image without attempting to cast VS in a bad light. I'm certainly no VS apologist here. In my opinion, her speaking out says more about her inner struggles with her own ideas of body image than it does about anything improper VS might have done.

I totally understand your point, and agree to an extent. But I think big picture issue is VS having a very narrow minded standard of beauty. Their current models are skinnier than they've ever been before. Erin's body was fine and to tell her to lose weight is ridiculous and trying to hold her to a standard that's obviously not natural for her. They are obviously moving away from trying to appeal to grown women to targeting teenagers.. potentially brainwashing young girls to believe that skinny is the only type of beauty.

9 minutes ago, Ashlala said:

I totally understand your point, and agree to an extent. But I think big picture issue is VS having a very narrow minded standard of beauty. Their current models are skinnier than they've ever been before. Erin's body was fine and to tell her to lose weight is ridiculous and trying to hold her to a standard that's obviously not natural for her. They are obviously moving away from trying to appeal to grown women to targeting teenagers.. potentially brainwashing young girls to believe that skinny is the only type of beauty.

Brainwashing? Since when has Victoria's Secret Angel ever been a standard for realistic women's beauty? Ever since I've known of VS their models have always had that unreachable, unrealistic aura around them. That has always been the case. Even when their models were a bit curvier (like Laetitia Casta for example).

VS has never represented a "common girl" no matter what their models say in commercials about confidence and other bullshit like that. Hell yea you're gonna feel confident when you have body like Elsa Hosk or Candice Swanepoel. lol

But at the end of the day, that "unreachable" goal sells. VS don't sell lingerie to you, they sell it to a girl you want to become.

7 hours ago, Samiot said:

while under contract to VS, she brought up the subject that VS was not where her heart was (and I'm paraphrasing now), that she wanted to do more humanitarian service, etc.. Probably not the thing VS or any other employer would like to hear from a model they clearly have made a financial commitment to. 

Capitalism is #good.

On 4/7/2016 at 11:13 AM, Samiot said:

You're post is deviating from the true issue here. Regardless of what contractual obligations they may have which we don't the details when it comes to body measurements or weight, airhead Monica Mitro and creepy troll shrimp Ed Razek have always publicly spoken that they prefer healthy, VOLUPTUOUS, CURVY, fit women, yet all their new angels look like walking sticks that are forcing the skinny. So we know now that is BS what they say in front of the media. Candice, Elsa, Adri, Ale, Lily and Lais look very healthy in relation to their body type. Some of the others, do not. Gigi has a great healthy fit body but she was probably "too fat" to be an angel ever. Now I know why Behati went from looking normal and healthy to the walking stick she has been the past few years. They obviously told her to lose weight. Yea it's the modeling business and all, but a brand shouldn't speak hypocritical BS then behind closed doors tell their already rail thin models to lose more weight. WTF. I'm saying this because Erin is and has always been much thinner than your average woman and I in no way saw her overweight for modeling lingerie even though she had curvier thighs and still I could always see her ribs. Makes me wonder if they told Candice to lose weight that one time she was dangerously thin when she posed between Ale and Adri yet she has always been perfection before and after that. Erin isn't throwing VS under the bus, she simply stated that she could no longer meet their ridiculous demands of looking emaciated so she quit because it was unhealthy. We all know VS has always been full of BS. Personally I think it was just a ploy to get rid of her. Considering 2 or 3 idiots who need to retire control the entire roster of models and image of the brand. Yea it's the modeling business and all and we know models should be thin and fit but not emaciated and bone racks when it comes to commercial modeling, this isn't couture. Wonder why VS hasn't replied to Erin speaking out, the creepy troll Ed usually replies right away. 

19 hours ago, Schemer said:

Brainwashing? Since when has Victoria's Secret Angel ever been a standard for realistic women's beauty? Ever since I've known of VS their models have always had that unreachable, unrealistic aura around them. That has always been the case. Even when their models were a bit curvier (like Laetitia Casta for example).

VS has never represented a "common girl" no matter what their models say in commercials about confidence and other bullshit like that. Hell yea you're gonna feel confident when you have body like Elsa Hosk or Candice Swanepoel. lol

But at the end of the day, that "unreachable" goal sells. VS don't sell lingerie to you, they sell it to a girl you want to become.

This is exactly the problem lol. They shouldn't have their models speak BS about all body shapes and sizes and confidence when in reality VS is just trolling the public and telling their models to lose even more weight lmao. Now I in no way support a heifer in lingerie either...........jus' saying. 

On 7-4-2016 at 6:13 PM, Samiot said:

Well I don't remember watching those VSFS editions and thinking "wow, Erin has really gotten fat" or "she didn't work out enough for this". So perhaps their demands were a bit over the top?

15 minutes ago, Bakusaiga66 said:

You're post is deviating from the true issue here. Regardless of what contractual obligations they may have which we don't the details when it comes to body measurements or weight, airhead Monica Mitro and creepy troll shrimp Ed Razek have always publicly spoken that they prefer healthy, VOLUPTUOUS, CURVY, fit women, yet all their new angels look like walking sticks that are forcing the skinny. So we know now that is BS what they say in front of the media. Candice, Elsa, Adri, Ale, Lily and Lais look very healthy in relation to their body type. Some of the others, do not. Gigi has a great healthy fit body but she was probably "too fat" to be an angel ever. Now I know why Behati went from looking normal and healthy to the walking stick she has been the past few years. They obviously told her to lose weight. Yea it's the modeling business and all, but a brand shouldn't speak hypocritical BS then behind closed doors tell their already rail thin models to lose more weight. WTF. I'm saying this because Erin is and has always been much thinner than your average woman and I in no way saw her overweight for modeling lingerie even though she had curvier thighs and still I could always see her ribs. Makes me wonder if they told Candice to lose weight that one time she was dangerously thin when she posed between Ale and Adri yet she has always been perfection before and after that. Erin isn't throwing VS under the bus, she simply stated that she could no longer meet their ridiculous demands of looking emaciated so she quit because it was unhealthy. We all know VS has always been full of BS. Personally I think it was just a ploy to get rid of her. Considering 2 or 3 idiots who need to retire control the entire roster of models and image of the brand. Yea it's the modeling business and all and we know models should be thin and fit but not emaciated and bone racks when it comes to commercial modeling, this isn't couture. Wonder why VS hasn't replied to Erin speaking out, the creepy troll Ed usually replies right away. 

+1, it would be quite naive to think VS has no major play in today's image obsessed culture and how unreasonable their demands can be with a models body and weight loss. Yes I know they are not the ONLY ONES but they sure contribute to this image of beauty and its ridiculous standards. But even then, they STILL PHOTOSHOP their models when they are supposed to be some of the most gorgeous women at body and height. Peoples reality is based on what they see & experience overtime, glad to see Erin is out and finally in a place where she seems happier with herself :hehe: 

32 minutes ago, Bakusaiga66 said:

This is exactly the problem lol. They shouldn't have their models speak BS about all body shapes and sizes and confidence when in reality VS is just trolling the public and telling their models to lose even more weight lmao. Now I in no way support a heifer in lingerie either...........jus' saying. 

That would mean that they are a socially responsible company. But they are not, they are profit driven and if it works, don't change it.

14 minutes ago, ILUVAdrianaLima said:

...glad to see Erin is out and finally in a place where she seems happier with herself :hehe: 

I'm still waiting to find out what happened on that morning show for SI. She did not look happy.

All in all I really dislike this trend of people spitting on companies that bought them up to be where they are. When Erin was on top of the world as Angel and Leo's bae she didn't say shit and loved the lifestyle...now she "opens up". Right.

I know where you are coming from @Schemer with the whole "biting the hand that feeds you" but the situation Erin might of been involved in can be quite the f'ed up one and I think she realized how ridiculous it was to starve yourself to meet the so called body & beauty standards of a FEW blind individuals. The fact she stood up for herself says a lot more about a individual then running with the same status quo. Yes she was under contract and it's assumed you are to keep a certain "body image" but when that said image start to eat away at your mental and physical health, is it wise to stay silent and compliant regardless of what's written on paper?

SIDE NOTE: Thank you to everyone for keeping a level & cool head on this constructive debate. This is how it should be done when body issues are to be discussed :heythere: 

Just to be clear, I'm not defending VS. They are a shitshow of a company. They've been accused of using underpaid, badly treated workers in third world countries; deforestation in several countries (including Canada) in order to secure paper for their catalogues; they have this creepy vibe going on with Ed Razek, Michael Bay and now "daddy" Bellemere. VS photoshops the shit out of their girls that already have perfect figures, customers have been complaining for ages about the lack of quality of their products...the list goes on.

I'm enjoying this debate and the various perspectives.  I particularly enjoy the tone of respect and candor here. 

Erin certainly was able to achieve the targeted weight goals for her long enough for them to first employ her for a period of time and then give her a contract.  So, what changed?

Seems to me either she couldn't or wouldn't meet her targeted goals any longer.  Simple.  The rest as to why and all that are speculation for which we are not privy to between VS and Erin.  This shouldn't be about the motivations of  Ed or Monica or anyone else either.  Many models have been fired by or left VS for one reason or another.  This is simply a business of VS selling a specific image.  The debate as to whether or not it is a realistic image is irrelevant.  Erin is now modeling for SI.  Is this a realistic body image for most women to attain to also? If SI no longer invites her back for the next issue will she then go public with the same complaint? It's a slippery slope and she would have been wise not to go down that road at all.

Well i think it's an issue we knew it existed already especially in a company like VS. But what strucked me the most from Erin's interview was that she was starring at her food and thinking that maybe she should just not eat. That says a lot about the struggle she had, and actually a lot of other girls have. It's good she is now ok and seems happier. And also her last show for VS was my favorite of hers in terms of her body. She was really sexy, i can't believe thay are people out there who could say she had extra weight:banghead:

Btw her appartment is amazing.