Bellazon

US Vogue May (or maybe June) 2007

ninanina19

^ I agree for the most part. I think it would be good to get a model on the cover a few times a year, but they don't sell as well. :( Those interested in fashion are more likely to overlook the fact that a celeb they don't like is on the cover b/c most of the issue is fashion-related anyway and that's what they want. But a celeb on the cover reaches out to those people who aren't all that interested in fashion but who are willing to buy a mag with their favorite celeb on the cover. So I think US Vogue thinks it's reaching a bigger audience when they do this. And the results seem to back that up b/c Liya Kebede's cover in 2005 was one of the worst selling issues in recent years. The Sept 2004 Vogue cover with all the models, however, DID sell extremely well, but I think it's harder to tell if that's b/c of the models or b/c it was a Sept issue and those tend to sell better in general. I guess we'll know after this May cover. Hopefully if this sells very well, Anna Wintour will consider making a habit of putting models on the cover at least a few times a year. :)

Like you, I wish Vogue would be more willing to take risks, but this is a business too I suppose and we have to think of it like that :/

Oh and I just noticed your other post. No worries about the year, we all make goofs :laugh: :p

I was pretty excited to see so many models in one cover... but alas, my excitement was quickly doused by all the negativity in this thread. :D I am new to the "high" fashion industry anyway so this discussion is really interesting... so go on... hehe.

I was pretty excited to see so many models in one cover... but alas, my excitement was quickly doused by all the negativity in this thread. :D I am new to the "high" fashion industry anyway so this discussion is really interesting... so go on... hehe.

These are just individual opinions ;) I just don't really care for any of the girls that they selected with the exception of Doutzen, and even that's stretching it a bit. The cover just reinforced the negative impression that the faces of today really and truly pale in comparison to the faces of yesteryear. I'm also frustrated by the fact that they left out some truly worthy models like Du Juan, Snejana Onopka and Anja Rubik, but at the same time inserted virtual-nobodies like Chanel Iman. Not to rag on the young woman, but I don't really see what Anna Wintour sees.

Anja Rubik was never in US Vogue, what is really disappointing, because she is one of the best models in the world, working really hard. I know that Gemma and Daria were on the cover in 2004, but shouldn't they be now also? And where is Natasha Poly on this cover? And what is Chanel doing on the cover of this issue? She should be replaced with Du Juan or Hye Park. Agyness Deyn is too short in this industry to deserve this cover too IMO.

^Yeah, I've noticed the same thing too, Layla. I don't think Anna Wintour cares for Anja Rubik :jimmy: (or Snejana Onopka), and yet she is wildly enamored with the likes of Caroline Trentini, Coco Rocha and Lily Donaldson. What a lunatic, she is!

Seriously, tho', I think Anja will always be seen second-tier in the eyes of American Vogue, notwithstanding her natural beauty and the tremendous amount of work she gets. Sad, but true.

those are the next supermodels?.....:idk:.....well maybe they'll get it right next time. OK well in all fairness they do say "TOPMODELS"...those girls aren't supermodels. I love how they have the token black girl. :|....its all blonde girls!!

.....for god sakes doutzen let your hair go back to its natural colour :|

Caroline Trentini (Y)...super model material

Raquel Zimmerman (N)....staple "topmodel"

Doutzen Kroes (Y)...on her way to stardom

Coco Rocha (N)....enh....an alright fad

Chanel Iman (Y).....gorgeous...just gettin started.

Jessica Stam (N).....pretty.....pretty average.

Lily Donaldson (middle)......gorgeous but no supermodel

Sasha Pivovarova (N) ....better then snejana...just a fad.

Agyness Deyn (Y)....great...i hope to see more of her.

Hilary Rhoda (Y)....supermodel material.

who i think they are missing....eugenia, anja, natasha, hana, katja, daria, natalia, cintia, ai tominaga, karolina, magdalana....and a bunch of great black women.

I don't know why I keep coming back to this thread!

Eugenia: Missed the boat with the Sept '04 cover featuring Daria, Gisele, Natalia, etc. She's not hot anymore.

Anja: AGREED.

Natasha: Probaly. I don't care for her, but she is a top model.

Katja: Nope, not even a B-list model. More like C-list.

Daria: Already did the '04 cover.

Natalia: Ditto.

Cintia: See Katja.

Ai: Hasn't been hot in 2 years. Du is the new Asian top model.

Karolina: See Daria + Natalia.

Magdalena: Too early to tell.

And how on earth can you say Sasha is better than Snejana?! At least Snejana looks HUMAN.

Snejana is a lil bit scary, and she looks like she needs some sleep. She looks like she needs it SO HARD. Anyway, I agree with Strawberry, especially in that the black beauties are missing :ninja:

And Eugenia is not hot....she´s gorgeous

but agree with Kenzo, Du Juan and Anja Rubik are too great to be missing there :ninja:

Sasha is better than Snejana. She's actually a good and INTERESTING model. I know I've said bad things about her before but I'm starting to like her due to her good editorials. How is Chanel Iman gorgeous? She's ugly. Hilary Rhoda is boring and eh but other than that I agree with StrawberryBigmac.

whatever i think they made good choices, except Chanel

they chose models who are seen frequently - that's it

and what you say is just your opinion, i mean iwould like Julia and Lily C too but what could i do? anyway i think it's fair

btw it would be worse if fugly Natasha was on the cover - totally disaster then

Sasha is better than Snejana. She's actually a good and INTERESTING model. I know I've said bad things about her before but I'm starting to like her due to her good editorials. How is Chanel Iman gorgeous? She's ugly. Hilary Rhoda is boring and eh but other than that I agree with StrawberryBigmac.

I disagree with this completely. Sasha has one look: Bug-eyed crackwhore. Not appealing. At all. Snejana is much more beautiful and magnetic in front of the camera. 'Tis a shame that she's so goddamn emaciated these days, tho'.

And Jennka, when I said Eugenia wasn't "hot", I meant that she's not in demand anymore. I heard/read somewhere that she was supposed to the do the September '04 cover, but pulled out. Don't know why.

let's not make this a "X looks better and is a better model than Y" discussion... the top model status of a girl isn't based on what we think of the girl, it's based on what she's achieved and obviously most of the girls on the cover deserve their spot, like it or not. As i said before, what i do not like is how they mixed girls that are already top models, girls that are the it girls of the moment and that Chanel girl who might have a bright future ahead of her but hasn't achieved anything really yet (beside some blue-chip runway shows, which is a good start but not a lot compared to the other girls' resumes). They should have chosen just established top models, just it girls of the moment or just rising stars... or at least chosen a better title that could apply to each and every of the girls...

And i heard eugenia wasn't featured eventually because she'd gained some weight but that's weird because she had an editorial with daria werbowy in that issue :unsure:

I disagree with this completely. Sasha has one look: Bug-eyed crackwhore. Not appealing. At all. Snejana is much more beautiful and magnetic in front of the camera. 'Tis a shame that she's so goddamn emaciated these days, tho'.

And Jennka, when I said Eugenia wasn't "hot", I meant that she's not in demand anymore. I heard/read somewhere that she was supposed to the do the September '04 cover, but pulled out. Don't know why.

Well we're talking about their capabilities as a model and well Sasha wins in that category.

Well we're talking about their capabilities as a model and well Sasha wins in that category.

Yes, because a model's capability is such an objective thing...

Um what does that mean? Modeling is a talent. Take singing for example, Christina Aguilera and Whitney Houston are amazing singers so I understand people disagreeing about who is the better singer. But like to compare Christina to someone like Beyonce, who is overhyped in the industry and has no talent whatsoever and it's really a joke to call her a musical artist, you have to have absolutely no ear for whatsoever which obviously is the case for the vast majority of the population or Beyonce would not be so successful. That's how I see today's "topmodels" become just that. And in the case of Snejana and Sasha I can def. say with no doubt in my mind that Sasha is more versatile when it comes to editorials. It's not really a question of opinion when it comes to which models are better. Modeling is a talent so it's not that hard to say which one's more talented than the other especially when the "talent gap" is rather large.