Bellazon

The Next Supermodels.

Strawberry BigMac

• 10 months later...

I hate to be the bearer of bad news here... but Supermodel indicates house hold name, someone recognizable by the masses. High fashion means next to nothing when coining the phrase 'Supermodel'. Guys like a little bit of 'tits and ass' and to be perfectly honest 90% of the girls mentioned in this thread just don't fit the bill.

The current definition and stereotype of high fashion model doesn't appeal to the masses, they are to some degree nothing more then walking stick manequins that hold the clothing like a clothes rack while walking down a runway. These girls need to gain some weight, and stop looking like they're collapsing upon themselves. Curves aren't supposed to be concave, they're supposed to be convex.

Outside these forums no one gives a flying fuck about Natasha Poly... I can mention models names and my friends stare rather blankly. Most supermodels if you look back they have an almost all american girl next door type look. Or an exotic girl next door look, but either way it's still something the general public wants to crave, be with or look like. It's a conventional look... Commercial sells to the rest of the world.

Look at Cindy Crawford, she made it huge over night, again an all american girl. Look at Gisele. As much as you people don't want to admit it, she looks quite normal, quite commercial, something we can all relate to. Yes Gisele was one of those few women that looks commercial and yet made it in both worlds commercial and high fashion. That is a true Supermodel.

These girls you all seem to like are all pretty in their own way, however they are somewhat wierd looking. Gemma while gorgeous in my eyes is not something the rest of the world can relate to. She has an alien cast to her features, and while it's pretty it's not sexy. Supermodels are generally considered sexy, hot, gorgeous and do-able. Guys want to be able to fantasize about these girls.

And while you may all think Bar is to conventional looking, her body is stellar and her face is pretty... also she's fucking one of the bigger stars on the planet.. Sounds like a win, win, win combination to me. And while she may never hit it huge... I can show pictures of her to my friends, and then pictures of say Daria Werbowy and you want to know who the majority of my friends will say is more attractive... It's not Daria.

You want to say that Alessandra, Adriana and what not are exotic... they're not. You can go anywhere in Manhatton, or Miami or Washington and see pretty girls, just like that. The only thing that makes them a star is that their name is out there. Pretty girls are a dime a dozen, especially in the age of body augmention and plastic surgery. Anyone can look like the next supermodel... it doesn't take anymore then a sugar daddy or a decent job.

You look at some of these quote on quote supermodels with their makeup off and my damn.. they look almost normal. They need to be nothing more then conventionally pretty, with a slamming body and a decent personality. Make up and photoshopping will do the rest.

Who I think can be considered a supermodel... or the next upcoming big supermodel; the list goes as follows.

Adriana Lima

Gisele Bundchen

Alessandra Ambrosio

Petra Nemcova

Josie Maran - Josie may be out of the spotlight but she has done everything from commercials, movies, video games, fashion, both high and commercial. She's done humintarian work, she has her own company, she's a mom and she's done mainstream tv. And even though she's been out of the media spotlight she's still placing on the top 100 lists. That's pretty good for a quote on quote no name.

Miranda Kerr, (you say Miranda to a group of 50-60 guys in the World of Warcraft.. and they freak the fuck out. You say Karolina.. and you get a lot of o.0 who?)

Bar Rafaeli has the potental to hit it big.

Doutzen Krous... Maybe

Caroline Francischini has the potental depending on how she's managed

Marissa Miller - She's the all american girl that everyone wants to be. She's got the body, the body... and did I mention the body? And the personality.. Yes I'm not her biggest fan, but she is something that the masses crave. Men want to be with her, and women want her body. Yes.. there's the whole body thing again.

BTWIf a person cannot pronounce their first or last name... chances they are not going anywhere when it comes to the phrase supermodel. Hello Eastern European.. women.. asians.. stuff.. things.. I dunno your names make me stare. They have to be pronouncable. I don't care how pretty you guys are, (and yes you pump out some beautiful people) but you have to be able to pronounce.. and.. umm remember said name otherwise you're nothing to the mass public

Edit:

Now that I come to think of it, Marissa Miller's popularity hit like a firestorm. It sprang up nearly over night, the same thing happened with Gisele, Adriana, Alessandra and Miranda. It's very indicitive and reminscient of the era of the true supermodels, ie the 80's and 90's models that still to this day remain somewhat of a household name.

Marissa Miller is... sadly enough growing on me. The more I look at her, the more I'm interested. There is something inately star worthy of her, something that draws you in. Same thing with Miranda kerr. Yes these girls can take bad pictures, but you still keep going back for more. Anyways.. that's my two cents, take it or leave it, you don't have to agree with it.

^ Although I disagree with a number of models on your list, such as Kroes and Francischini (who?), I don't find it surprising the rest are all linked to either VS or SI, or both. :laugh: Without Angel status or an SI cover, it seems the public is just not going to take that much notice.

Edit:

Now that I come to think of it, Marissa Miller's popularity hit like a firestorm. It sprang up nearly over night, the same thing happened with Gisele, Adriana, Alessandra and Miranda.

I tihnk the only thing that can make a model to a Supermodel is being recognizable in the high fashion world and commercial! that makes a true Supermodel, take a look at Linda,Claudia,Cindy,Christy, etc...(yes, no last names needed) they were doing shows every season for all the Big Name designers, and still getting beauty contracts left and right! so they were very known in both sides of the fashion/modeling world. That is sooo rare now days to find a model like that. I guess the only ones I would truly consider even half as close as them are: Gisele and maybe some of the VS angels. and Doutzen is one her way, I think to be that known. If she gets angel wings.

Other than that all we have are a bunch of models everywhere

I agree with Phenobarbie. The doll faced models are unique and have cult followings, but will probably never become mainstream. This is similar to music where certain genres have cult followings but will never appeal to the masses. Models who made it big with either Sports Illustrated or Victoria's Secret certainly have the right to be called supermodels, since they have mass appeal. Certainly some are more respected (VS models tend to get the most respect these days), but still a model like Marisa or Petra still have a right to the title because many consider them sexy and beautiful as opposed to just a few with the rest not understanding their appeal. It's obvious who the elite are (Gisele, Adriana, Alessandra) but still many other popular models can be considered supermodels. This is how it's been for years and doll faced models are realtively new and may just be a "phase".

• 3 months later...

To be honest,

I am not familiar with Gemma Ward and barely know Daria Werbowy because I don't really follow high fashion. But I see the VS models constantly on commercials, the catalogue, and in the store.

It appears to me from what I have seen of high fashion, the models are so much thinner and have unique facial features. The commercial side of things appear to look for more fit women. It is a fantasy and appeals to the masses. Gisele was able to get into both (average to me facial-wise) is because she has a unique walk.

Regarding VS, it does seem that the brand can mess with their careers well, maybe it depends upon their ambition. I think that it is wonderful that the models pursue other careers. They can't model forever, it is based on youth. I was looking at Cindy Crawford furniture a couple of weeks ago. I am fan of Adriana and wish that she would get more things going on the business side of things.

BTW-definitely see Emanuela de Paula moving up, up, and up.

:) :)