Bellazon

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

jj3

On 1/6/2016 at 3:51 AM, SympathysSilhouette said:

By far this movie's biggest weakness is how slavishly devoted it is to the original trilogy.

The story is basically a remix of "A New Hope" and "Empire".

It does have two good new characters in Rey and Finn.

But I hope Rian Johnson ignores the original material a bit more for his own movie.

Like avengers, this movie didn't work well with me; I liked it even less after re-watching some of the critical scenes.  I didn't care much for any of the actors or the writing.  A good tactic to stimulate hype in movies, shows, games, comics, novels, etc. is to structure narratives with a good degree of vagueness yet enough fuel to stimulate a high level of fantasy, theories, & thus hype.  Compelling setpieces that engage in environmental storytelling is the essential glue that bind it all together.  It must also iterate and offer something new- this movie just didn't have it.

I read an article yesterday (centering on the actors that did Rey/Finn) that tracked the earnings power of Star Wars actors over the decades- turns out only Harrison Ford and Natalie Portman rose well above their star wars affiliations. 

What interests me most about this movie is its commercial success- would make a good study.  I was talking about it last week and someone theorized that this film now has room to experiment for the sequel.  That'll be something to see- only if however, they abandon the Marvel format.  The next director did Looper which was pretty unconventional, but his creative freedom may hog-tied by Disney's commercial instincts.

@Michael Captain Phantasma had barely any screentime in the film; she may have been just a throwaway 'character' used to market cool toys or maybe she'll have a boss fight in the next film.  She has a nice costume (super storm trooper).  Maybe the discs will include her deleted scenes.

On 09/01/2016 at 11:06 PM, Cult Icon said:

@Michael Captain Phantasma had barely any screentime in the film; she may have been just a throwaway 'character' used to market cool toys or maybe she'll have a boss fight in the next film.  She has a nice costume (super storm trooper).  Maybe the discs will include her deleted scenes.

Phasma was given some backstory beforehand (like her armour being made from the hull of a Naboo starship) and Gwendoline Christie was all over the movie's marketing beforehand, so I definitely got the impression that she was earmarked for a fairly prominent role. Presumably, her arc was chopped down in order to keep the running time relatively trim. A pity really, because she stood out to me straight away as a potentially memorable character.

As @toodarnhot mentioned though, she's confirmed for Episode VIII so thankfully, she won't be going the way of Darth Maul or Boba Fett quite yet. It's just too bad that we have to wait until next year for more. :sad:

@michael  @ SS

It seems that the actress is someone of an archetype (she played a female knight (?) from Game of thrones).

What was retained were brief moments that made her look like a caricature of the 'by the books' sergeant that lives and breathes her duties.  This is often seen in police or war films. 

On 14/01/2016 at 2:20 PM, Cult Icon said:

It seems that the actress is someone of an archetype (she played a female knight (?) from Game of thrones).

What was retained were brief moments that made her look like a caricature of the 'by the books' sergeant that lives and breathes her duties.  This is often seen in police or war films. 

The good news is that Phasma has nowhere to go but up now. I'm really hoping to see her become Finn's biggest rival over the course of the next two movies, I like the idea of the rebel Stormtrooper pitted against his old boss, a wildcard looking for revenge. Just stay away from that Sarlacc Pit please Gwendoline. :laugh:

• 2 months later...
16 hours ago, Stromboli1 said:

Why do you think that?

Satine dies in The Clone Wars.

A few reasons, really, but mostly because their apparent commitment to stay true to the tone and feel of the original trilogy makes me think that we can expect a couple of twists from one or both of episodes VIII and IX. Based on that premise, Rey being Luke's daughter, or even Han and Leia's daughter (and to be fair, Abrams did seem to be trying to lead us in the direction of the former) just seems too obvious. Personally, I'd lean towards Rey not being a Skywalker at all, or, if Luke is her father, then her mother being a Kenobi, which would be pretty interesting too.

I'm not certain that 'Clone Wars' is considered canon now, but even if it is, the timelines have never been what you'd call concrete. Obi-Wan's child could still have been born at any point prior to Satine's death. :laugh:

2 hours ago, Michael* said:

A few reasons, really, but mostly because their apparent commitment to stay true to the tone and feel of the original trilogy makes me think that we can expect a couple of twists from one or both of episodes VIII and IX. Based on that premise, Rey being Luke's daughter, or even Han and Leia's daughter (and to be fair, Abrams did seem to be trying to lead us in the direction of the former) just seems too obvious. Personally, I'd lean towards Rey not being a Skywalker at all, or, if Luke is her father, then her mother being a Kenobi, which would be pretty interesting too.

I'm not certain that 'Clone Wars' is considered canon now, but even if it is, the timelines have never been what you'd call concrete. Obi-Wan's child could still have been born at any point prior to Satine's death. :laugh:

The Clone Wars & Rebels are considered canon. I'll see if I can find the article where Disney states both shows are canon. 

I like your idea of Rey being of Skywalker & Kenobi lineage, but Obi-Wan was/is the quintessential Jedi. He follows the Jedi code very strictly and would've left the Jedi order if Satine asked him to. It would be dumb that Anakin had a wife and babies and would've been expelled from the Jedi Order when/if found out. Then it would very hypocritical of Obi-Wan if he did the same thing. 

I think Rey is Luke's daughter or not related to Han, Leia, or Luke at all. I've heard theories that she's related to Palpatine. Also I don't think Rey is her real name either.