Bellazon

Which girls do you consider supermodels right now?

sweetandlow

I'm having a hard time with the phrase supermodel because if you model a toothbrush even, it seems like you get called a supermodel. What's up with that?

How do YOU define supermodel and who do you think fits the bill......right now, today? I'd just to see what YOUR criteria is for the name.

biggest "supermodel" in the world right now is, Marisa Miller

:/

I can imagine that statement will be met with some derision. :p

I think a supermodel, put simply, is a model with a great amount of fashion credibility/respect as well as a public profile high enough that she borders on being, or is, a household name (often due to non-fashion work - i.e., Cindy Crawford and her Pepsi commercials). By that standard, IMO at least, there are no current supermodels. The models with all the fashion credibility have very limited to no public presence, and the models with the highest public presence have limited fashion credibility. I'm not even sure Gisele counts anymore: it seems her public presence has taken a nose-dive post-VS, at least here in the US.

Gisele & ... oh well, just Gisele

The one&only supermodel of our times, the last supermodel ... Lots of good models, top models & all, but the only supermodel is Gisele

Why Gisele?

1. People in Fashion world knows her & love her

2. People out of fashion world knows her, love her & care about what's goin' on w/her life

3. She keeps workin' & doin' everything

She got it all ... You can't call her a "commercial" (Marisa,Miranda,Adriana,Alessandra & all the actual VS girls?) model but you can't call her jus a "HF model" (Lara Stone) ... The girl can do it all & you can't deny the girl looks amaziiing doin' both! ... Everyone knows her, she's just huuuge

I DO agree about Gisele. She is the absolute closest thing to what we knew as supermodel. It's just kind of a bummer that everyone is called a supermodel. The word doesn't mean anything anymore. But, Gisele comes closest, I'd say.

A lot of girls have a recognizable name but usually it's because they are with someone else who is way more famous and therefore, they become famous and get called supermodel.

The good ol' days............miss 'em, Christy, Claudia, Kate, etc. I think, (now don't faint) ;) that I agree with mbinebri on a lot of what he says. He broke it down pretty well.

I do think, though, that Gisele would be considered one or darn close. And, I don't know if V.S. is the gauge of a supermodel. Doesn't seem like it to me. There has to be a lot more to the girl than that, IMHO.

Gisele, Heidi, Marisa. Maybe Adriana and Miranda.

Lara Stone doesn't have enough commercial, mainstream success to be even considered a supermodel.

Supermodels will never be what they were, so to me, Lara is as close as we are going to get :p

I agree with you.

Lara may not be very popular outside fashion world, but she's doing very well in the business. Heck how many Vogue covers she got last year, quite many as for the top model. Vogue covers, which should mostly belong to models, not actresses.....

And the definition of "supermodel" nowadays... it's not the same as in 90's. We need to accept that :) btw I hate it how this term is overused. I'm ok when VS models are called like that, but when I read about Kanye West's gf as a supermodel.... :blink:

Maybe there should be a new term like "very top model" or something :rofl: for models like Gemma Ward-not really known outside fashion world, but she, before her 21st Birthday, has done much more than most girls will ever achieve.

I understand that a "supermodel" is a model with super earnings :p

That being said, I can easily think of Gisele.

Of course, earnings are not the only factor. Recognition and respect are also very important. And Gisele's got it all.

The supermodel era is definiely over in the sense of being an international supermodel, but (don't hate me :blush: ) even if it were to magically come back tomorrow I still don't think Lara Stone would be a big mainstreem model because her kind of face is something high fashion fans can appreciate, but not the mass mainstreem audience :/ . The average woman if they saw her on a cosmetics commercial would probably say, "I'm prettier than her how's she become a model" ect. But in what she's doing she is appreciated how she is :) .

I know she is a high fashion model, but i honestly believe Jessica Stam is a supermodel, she has done so much, and her career has been a whirlwind recently.

Also Isabeli Fontana is a supermodel, she has been on countless magazines, done vs, many campaigns.

This is just my opinion (:

Hey sweetandlow! It's been too long... :heythere:

The way I see it, the "supermodels" are still Linda, Christy, Naomi et al. They're kind of like The Beatles: They belonged to a certain age but have since disbanded and moved on (thankfully not quite as far away as Messrs. John and George just yet!). YET despite The Frog Chorus, despite Yoko THEY will always BE The Beatles... And with these "supermodels", as happened with The Beatles, several pretenders to the throne have cropped up in their wake but can never quite match the impact and legacy of the originals...

Thus, I suppose, Heidi is very much the Jay-Z of the modelling world (with her multi-media empire); Gisele is the once lauded, but now out of public favour, Kanye; Marisa is one of those massive US bands that the rest of the world's never heard of (sorry I can't name one, but I'm not from the US! :p ); and Lara Stone is Vampire Weekend.