Bellazon

The "What Are You Thinking About Right Now?" PIP

Francesca

23 hours ago, Stromboli1 said:

What do you know the MSM is smearing Wall Street Bets as alt right. :rofl:

Elites don't like when they lose money to regular people, fuck em!

I like what these kids from Reddit did. :rofl::rofl:

Hedge funds like Melvin Capital plead for free market all day, but when they have it, they cry their eyes out. :Amelie_wft:

As for the MSM, saying the word "alt right" is like blowing Pavlov's whistle: it signals all the NPCs that they have to be angry (the signal bypasses their brains :rolleyes:). It's like when Disney's press called us "Russian trollbots" for not liking TLJ...

Thankfully, our press here in France is much more factual (even if they are not perfect either).

1 hour ago, CandleVixen said:

Would that be considered Ironic?

The original Robinhood stole from the rich and gave to the poor. The app "Robinhood" blocked transactions made by small shareholders (which looks like they decided to fleece small shareholders to protect the big ones).

Here's an article. Sorry, it's in French, but I don't trust Murican press anymore. The French press is not perfect (far from it), but it's more honest IMHO.

https://www.numerama.com/business/685643-robinhood-tout-comprendre-a-lapp-de-trading-au-coeur-de-la-polemique-entre-reddit-et-wall-street.html

19 minutes ago, Enrico_sw said:

I'm wondering if I should buy Bloodborne or DS3's DLCs... :Amelie_wft:

IMO Bloodborne, it's a work of art and as good (if not better, a lot of people love it) as DS3.  Extremely good lore and art direction, combat is less diverse.  The Old Hunters DLC is substantial and is bigger than the DS3 DLC's.  

Ashes of Ariendel and The Ringed City are both good but short.

7 hours ago, Enrico_sw said:

I like what these kids from Reddit did. :rofl::rofl:

Hedge funds like Melvin Capital plead for free market all day, but when they have it, they cry their eyes out. :Amelie_wft:

As for the MSM, saying the word "alt right" is like blowing Pavlov's whistle: it signals all the NPCs that they have to be angry (the signal bypasses their brains :rolleyes:). It's like when Disney's press called us "Russian trollbots" for not liking TLJ...

Thankfully, our press here in France is much more factual (even if they are not perfect either).

MSM, Corporations, Big Tech, and Government are gonna collude to label everything they don't like Alt Right, White Supremacy, and Trumpism to get them banned from everything. Those entities will do the same thing to the Populist Left too.

On 27/01/2021 at 11:53 AM, Enrico_sw said:

The debate on minimal wage is not easy. Otherwise we'd all have a unique solution for all countries and everything would be fine. Politicians who claim to have obvious solutions with no drawbacks whatsoever are either demagogues or people who think economics is an exact science, which is not the case (far from it).

A too low minimal wage means "working poor". A too high minimal wage means unemployement.

All the Keynesian arguments are partly true and their relevance depends on the perimiter. But the thing is that we're in a connected world. Producers in a given country are in competition (at least partly) with other countries.

The minimal wage in India is around 1$ per hour (and 1.5$ in China). Not all jobs are in competition with international markets (e.g. hairdressers are not) and the wage is not the only part of production costs, so it's more complicated than that. But you can't ignore what happens elsewhere if your country is open.

It's not all black and white. 7$ per hour is low for a Western economy. But 15 $ per hour is VERY high. But you guys do what you want. You'll see. Learning by experience is the best way.

There have always been arguments and counter-arguments that higher wages lead to unemployment or that higher retirement income will drive wages down. I get both, but even without those things we still have record unemployment, severely curtailed pay and far less job security. Not to mention underpayment of the existing minimum wage, which is also something that many businesses seem to feel they should be able to get away with. It's the worst of all worlds and it's depressing everywhere you look.

Overall what it comes down to for me is whether or not stagnant wages will make goods unaffordable, because the cost of living has spiralled out of control. They're all just numbers really, relativity is the lever that creates poverty.

On 27/01/2021 at 2:15 PM, Cult Icon said:

This shouldn't be so bad in the UK?  I've had similar conversations with business owners that parrot braindead libertarian bromides that I've heard countless times before.  Libertarianism as an ideology is the type that strokes the ego of business owners and financiers, makes them feel elite and special, and deserving of special treatment.  I've even had a financier make the argument to me that employees are the real social parasites!  I'm the messiah, these employees don't deserve me...My mother's boss lives in a mansion, has a collection of luxury vehicles including 2 Ferraris and gives his staff shit pay.  There's some good businessmen but this career path is the type that strongly selects for uncultured, sociopath, greedy, and the immoral.  So many assholes.

It boils down to primitive to elaborate excuses to pay employees as little as possible while stealing from the US taxpayer as much as possible. A few years ago I read some academic studies surveying CEO pay in various American industries.  They estimated it to be something like 50 to 100 times the average worker's pay, the worst discrepancy in the so called developed world. 

It's been getting progressively worse for some time. People are still suffering, although the problem isn't just that wages are too low, but that the cost of living is ridiculously high. Wage stagnation has been driven by Tory austerity policies, which in turn has been used as an excuse to allow deregulation, and no doubt Brexit will be used as another excuse to take that process further, with pay and employee rights being reduced even more.

Not one serious economist still believes in "trickle down," but unfortunately due to low taxation and the consequent lack of sufficient investment in education and basic maths we still have some right-wing economic retrogrades who try to defend it. It's time to call it what it is, a failed experiment.

The economic arguments, which I've heard them all are not very useful in the end. The right wing ones are imbecilic/malicious in nature and clearly disproven by real world experience and basic knowledge of economic data and just you know...going outside to see the shitholes.   These sick arguments are designed to help various political power blocs and businesses exploit people.  Theoretical bullshit---  under the umbrella of "free market fundamentalism" that has totally lost credibility.  Fantasies of economic utopias, resembling religious fanaticism,  with free markets devoid by any detailed understanding of realities on the ground, etc...

The bottom line is this issue should be seen more from the business & accounting perspective.   The factor inputs of running a business having varying gradients of complexity, payroll is often only a small portion.  Thus the manager can readjust their business model and accounting systems.  The minimum wage policy is extremely important as a high minimum wage prevents the exploitation of taxpayer-funded state benefits.  Raise all minimum wage to $20, all small businesses have to adapt to a level playing field or die.  The actual dollar figure of the minimum wage should be oriented towards stopping poorly paid employees from having to resort to drawing benefits from the taxpayer.   

Having no minimum wage or $7.25 causes a large number of social problems, from welfare, healthcare having to be provided by the taxpayer to so many people reduced to living in hovels, dingy apartments, and trailers.  Children being too poor to go to college- which is up to $90,000 a year for a good school in the US and having to take ridiculously large loans.   Even in the NE, which is- the richest part of the US- there is a lot of poverty.   Basically in the end multinational corporations and business owners laugh their way to the bank.  This subject is overall quite offensive.

57 minutes ago, Michael* said:

It's been getting progressively worse for some time. People are still suffering, although the problem isn't just that wages are too low, but that the cost of living is ridiculously high. Wage stagnation has been driven by Tory austerity policies, which in turn has been used as an excuse to allow deregulation, and no doubt Brexit will be used as another excuse to take that process further, with pay and employee rights being reduced even more.

Not one serious economist still believes in "trickle down," but unfortunately due to low taxation and the consequent lack of sufficient investment in education and basic maths we still have some right-wing economic retrogrades who try to defend it. It's time to call it what it is, a failed experiment.

Trickle-down was a marketing sell/ a scam to dramatically lower taxation on the rich and make gov't saddled with debt.   Even in the 1980s it was criticized as a fraud by economists and journalists.

What do you think raised cost of living?

1 hour ago, Cult Icon said:

Trickle-down was a marketing sell/ a scam to dramatically lower taxation on the rich and make gov't saddled with debt.   Even in the 1980s it was criticized as a fraud by economists and journalists.

What do you think raised cost of living?

For me two or three things stand out above everything else, I think rising house prices, although that doesn't directly affect living costs for everyone, but the difficulty a lot of people face in buying property has caused rent to go astronomical, especially in your classic hotspot cities.

Privatisation and selling anything that isn't nailed down has been a big factor as well, with rising prices in petrol and water imposed by private companies who obviously want to make higher profits, and falling prices of things like oil and petrol often not being passed on particularly quickly to consumers. Transport is also rather more expensive than in most countries, the cost of running a car is sky high, as is public transport for anything other than short hops.

also economists miss the cold fact that the most valuable thing in life is clock time and not dollar bills, productivity, & empty services/material items.  I wish I knew this when I was younger, I wouldn't have spent my 20s working hard 70 hrs/week.  I will never get that time back, that time belongs to Death.   I would hope COVID would teach this lesson but I'm not optimistic.