Bellazon

The "What Are You Thinking About Right Now?" PIP

Francesca

DIY 3D-printed guns get go-ahead after Trump administration strikes court deal

Defense Distributed, the company behind the blueprint, declared: “The age of the downloadable gun formally begins.”

From 1 August, thanks to the Trump administration, a commercially available software blueprint will allow people to make their own guns using ABS plastic resin and a 3D printer.

The green light came late last month, with a court settlement between the designer of the blueprint and the US state department. Gun rights advocates celebrated.

In a statement greeting the news, the Second Amendment Foundation founder and executive vice-president, Alan Gottlieb, said: “Not only is this a first amendment victory for free speech, it also is a devastating blow to the gun prohibition lobby.”

Defense Distributed, the company behind the blueprint, declared: “The age of the downloadable gun formally begins.”

Gun control advocates were alarmed. Nick Suplina, managing director of law and policy at Everytown for Gun Safety, said the settlement was “incredibly dangerous” and called on the state department to continue to block the publication of what he described as “deadly information”.

The lawsuit arose from a software file developed by a University of Texas law student, Cody Wilson. It was a blueprint for a single-shot 3D-printed handgun, named “The Liberator”. The state department ordered Wilson to cease work, arguing that making the blueprint available would be akin to a violation of arms export statutes.

The libertarian-minded Wilson swiftly turned from a hobbyist to a crusader. “All I tried to do in law school was print a pistol and put it on the internet,” he told the Guardian in 2016. “Now I’m on a ride I can’t get off.”

Wilson sued on the grounds that his design was protected by the first amendment. He also founded a non-profit, Defense Distributed. Celebrating the settlement, he tweeted an image of flowers laid at a plaque in memory of “American gun control”.

Wilson’s legal battle was largely financed by the sale of products which allow for the DIY production of metal-framed “ghost guns”, which do not have serial numbers and are not subject to traditional gun control laws.

Defense Distributed sells users an “80% lower” – a piece of metal the government deems is only 80% a gun – and a milling machine that can, with a PC and the right software, bring the gun to completion.

On its website, the company describes the milling device as a way to “legally manufacture unserialized rifles and pistols in the comfort and privacy of home”.

18 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

I thought that the political stuff was likely forced into the script by higher ups that are concerned with marketing  (kind of like how Sports Illustrated is now SJW illustrated).  Having progressive characters and themes sell & there is more buzz prior to the film as you can use a large cast of superfluous actors to expand interest.  However I think it definitively damaged the story. 

Yes, I agree. I hope there will be a backlash (I think it's already the case: SJW ep. 8 was the reason why the Solo movie didn't work, which is unfair to Solo, a pretty good movie).

I went to see Solo because it's unrelated to SJW's main story, but I won't go and see SJW ep. 9.... unless 1) the whole cast is replaced by Keri Russell, Caity Lotz, Kaya Scodelario and Aishwarya Rai (then I might consider it) // or 2) they stop their BS marketing and focus on building a real story.

19 hours ago, Enrico_sw said:

Yes, I agree. I hope there will be a backlash (I think it's already the case: SJW ep. 8 was the reason why the Solo movie didn't work, which is unfair to Solo, a pretty good movie).

I went to see Solo because it's unrelated to SJW's main story, but I won't go and see SJW ep. 9.... unless 1) the whole cast is replaced by Keri Russell, Caity Lotz, Kaya Scodelario and Aishwarya Rai (then I might consider it) // or 2) they stop their BS marketing and focus on building a real story.

I think there was a backlash so this may influence the production.  Casting and creating a bunch of bad characters and actors for the sake of diversity is a no-no. I find that SJW stuff can work IF it improves the experience and doesn't seem artificial.   

The Vikings and Westworld TV shows have diversity agenda and in both cases it makes the story better.

In vikings you have this cliche of elite, female viking warriors (some of them look like runway models) that are led by a beautiful Ukrainian woman :D This is fresh and very entertaining although completely unhistorical.  Viking combat gear was some 60-70 pounds plus.  Women were not warriors outside of Viking mythology.. 

Vikingwoman.jpg?1505403154 

I watched the first 5 episodes of Game of Thrones, there's so much talking in those episodes. I know they're building the story and leading up to war, it's a little boring and the pacing is weird. :chicken:

The king is from the Full Monty. :D

I have some guesses too what happens.  :chicken:

43 minutes ago, Stromboli1 said:

I watched the first 5 episodes of Game of Thrones, there's so much talking in those episodes. I know they're building the story and leading up to war, it's a little boring and the pacing is weird.

I watched Game of Thrones S1-S5 entirely from this channel and others on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv2JXTUGLicSLHaZ94eotnw/videos

He organizes each character's story so it is clear and not overwhelming (piece by piece over dozens of hours)