Bellazon

Leonardo DiCaprio - (Please Read First Post Prior to Posting)
Thumbnail

moiselles

Anticipation mounts for Baz Luhrmann’s 3D The Great Gatsby

EXCLUSIVE – Baz Luhrmann discusses the use of 3D to achieve a greater connection with the drama's characters writes Adrian Pennington

After the critical and commercial success of Martin Scorsese's Hugo and Ang Lee's Life of Pi, anticipation is growing ahead of another major literary 3D feature adaptation, The Great Gatsby.

Filmed four times previously, notably in 1949 and 1974, F Scott Fitzgerald’s classic is retold by Baz Luhrmann as a parable for our times. Starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Carey Mulligan it charts the lives and loves of an elite and the impact on them of sudden wealth.

From correspondence and conversations with Luhrmann, and key crew including director of photography Simon Duggan and stereographer Alonso Homs during the closing stages of filming in Australia late 2011, it was clear that the entire project had been crafted with 3D at its heart.

The film's trailer features wide shots in the manner of movie classics from the 1930s and ‘40s filled with Luhrmann's typically flamboyant visual style and choreographed flows of movement. His ambition is to create a sense of being present in the Jazz Age where everything was new, technologically advanced and sophisticated.

“I grew mindful that Fitzgerald was obsessed with all things new and modern, especially as he was writing Gatsby: the new cinema, the new radio, the new skyscraper, this new thing called jazz, the automobile,” the director explained. “I felt that I couldn’t address his Gatsby as a much-loved museum piece. My mindset was to address it something like Fitzgerald might have, as a piece in an age full of new possibilities enabled by new ideas and new technologies. Seen this way, shooting in 3D made perfect sense."

Having adapted breakthrough film Strictly Ballroom in 1992 from his own play while studying at Sydney's National Institute of Dramatic Art, Luhrmann said he appreciated the similarities that 3D has to a theatrical stage performance where he could create depth by blocking actors and designing set pieces.

He also drew inspiration from Alfred Hitchcock's 1954 thriller Dial M for Murder, itself an adaptation of a successful stage play which takes place in the confines of a single setting, the living room of a London flat.

“That film proved for me, how fundamentally different 3D is in terms of dramatic staging,” he said. “It has a force that is born quite simply from its ability to capture great actors playing against each other in a tight space and toward the camera, something like the theatre.”

Before shooting, Luhrmann conducted a series of tests to help him grasp the visual grammar that would work for the story. These included a spell in LA at the Sony 3D Technology Centre and time at production company Bazmark’s New York offices with cast including Di Caprio and Tobey Maguire in the autumn of 2010.

In these lab-style tests, using a low-tech 3D set up, Luhrmann was able to demonstrate to himself how a performance might be captured using stereo cameras. He later used a 3D camcorder to help scout locations while production designer and co-producer Catherine Martin used a handheld 3D camera to envision how her costume designs would look.

“The main dramatic tension in the story is between Gatsby, Buchanan and Daisy,” said producer Barrie M Osborne. “In 3D you feel the force of these characters and the power of the actor’s personality comes across on screen so much more.”

This was the single biggest take away for Luhrmann’s team; that 3D could be used to enhance performance and draw out the humanity in a character. It became the overriding goal for the stereo approach to The Great Gatsby.

It's to be hoped that the six months additional time in post production following reset of the film's release from Christmas 2012 to this May, has preserved this vision intact.

okeyyyyyyyyyy nowwwwwww I have a GOOD NEWS=I SAWWWWWWWW DJANGO :woot:

Django Unchained is bloody, violent, funny, gripping, exhilarating, provoking, intriguing, provocative, biting and messy. :chicken:

Great editing, cinematography, and production design. The music and the songs were AWESOME.

The acting was great.Waltz was better in INGLORIOUS BASTERDS.Christoph role is so similar to Landa (Inglorious Basterds) same accent, same style, same type of intelligence that goes with the lines, not much stretched from his previous role,IMO,but DICAPRIO BUILT THE NEW CHARACTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jackson did a great job & OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG...DICAPRIO KILLED IT.NAILED IT.STOLE THE SHOW.He was the most exciting character in the film better I say HE WAS THE BEST THING in the movie & wowowowowowowiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...HE LOOKS SEXYYYYYYYYY AS HELL AS CALVIN CANDIE!!!!!!I just melted in my chair in the theater .gooooooooooooregous drooling shots of Leo at close range.

I wish I had a pause button for those moments.crazy%2Bsmiley.gif

That phrenology scenesmiley_scream.pnggodddddddddd...WHAT DA MAGNIFICENT PERFORMANCE!!!!!!WHAT DA AMAZINGLY TALENTED BRILLIANT ACTOR LEO IS!!!!!!! :clap: :clap:I`m sooooooooo proud of being a huge fan of him moreeeeeeeeeeee than ever!!!!!!!! :heart: :heart::heart: :heart::wub:

The theater was full & the audience was great...very into the movie with lots of laughing and clapping. :thumbsup:

Can`t wait to see Evil Sexy Calvin Candie on the big screen again!!!!! :bounce: :bounce::bounce: :bounce:

Amy Adams wanted to go out with Leonardo DiCaprio

Amy Adams is featured in W Magazine for their Best Performances of 2012 Issue, and in the interview, she talks about wanting to go out with Leonardo DiCaprio when she was younger.

She says, “When I did Catch Me If You Can, in 2002, I had a really big crush on Leonardo DiCaprio. I had fixated on him in Growing Pains and in Titanic. I was like, ‘Oh, my gosh, if I ever work with Leo, it will be wonderful.’”

She continues, “And then, there I was, with pigtails—looking not at all like Gisele, whom he was dating at the time. I figured my chances were pretty slim, so I just focused on the work.”

Neon

Below is article I found this morning about Django /action figures .

The producers of Quentin Tarantino's "Django Unchained" on Friday ordered a halt to the production of action figures based on the Oscar-nominated slavery movie after criticism that they were offensive to African-Americans.

The eight-inch (20-cm) dolls, which were intended for people 17 and older, included gun-slinging freed slave Django, his wife and cruel, white plantation owner Candie.

"Django Unchained" has been attacked by some African-Americans for its portrayal of slavery and its violence. Despite the controversy, the film was nominated for five Oscars, including best picture.

Civil rights leader Al Sharpton's National Action Network was among the groups that criticized the action figures.

"Selling this doll is highly offensive to our ancestors and the African-American community," K.W. Tulloss, president of the Los Angeles branch of National Action Network, told the New York Daily News.

"The movie is for adults, but these are action figures that appeal to children," Tulloss told the paper. "We don't want other individuals to utilize them for their entertainment, to make a mockery of slavery."

The Weinstein Co, which produced "Django Unchained," said in a statement on Friday that in light of the reaction to the dolls it had ordered production to stop.

"We have tremendous respect for the audience and it was never our intent to offend anyone," the company said.

The action figures were sold by the National Entertainment Collectibles Association, which could not be reached for comment on Friday.

The producers noted that action figures have been produced for all of Tarantino's past films, including his World War Two revenge fantasy "Inglourious Basterds" in 2009.

"Django Unchained" stars Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz and Leonardo DiCaprio and has taken in some $130 million at U.S. and Canadian box offices since its release on December 25.

Amy Adams wanted to go out with Leonardo DiCaprio

Amy Adams is featured in W Magazine for their Best Performances of 2012 Issue, and in the interview, she talks about wanting to go out with Leonardo DiCaprio when she was younger.

She says, “When I did Catch Me If You Can, in 2002, I had a really big crush on Leonardo DiCaprio. I had fixated on him in Growing Pains and in Titanic. I was like, ‘Oh, my gosh, if I ever work with Leo, it will be wonderful.’”

She continues, “And then, there I was, with pigtails—looking not at all like Gisele, whom he was dating at the time. I figured my chances were pretty slim, so I just focused on the work.”

Heres the full Bild.de german interview where he discusses taking an acting break. Very interesting interview! Love how he talks about his Oma and wanting a family :heart:

“Four Seasons Hotel” Beverly Hills. Suite 1,501th

It is quiet.

His body language is gentle-manly. A blue sweater and a light blue jeans French. Laced brown boots.

A strong hand pressure. A strange gentleness. A face that the world has known.

When he speaks, you can hear him at all, but stares at him. Face a landscape of child, man, macho and mystery.

PICTURE: Who is Leo DiCaprio ?

Silence. His bright blue eyes are getting brighter and sharper – almost hypnotic.

Leo: “I have a lot of people.”

IMAGE: In the sensational Spaghetti Western slave ” Django Unchained “They play the most perverse monsters in your career! Why?

Leo: “I’m the devil – the most evil character in my life. When I read the script, I was almost sick. ”

Leo told BILD: “How was the premiere in Germany?”

IMAGE: Cool! Cheers! A bit long! The Germans love you! But you’re such a perverted pig that all cheered as they died.

Leo: “I had to be so obnoxious in order to understand the vengeful violence and the historical truth.”

IMAGE: How wicked and brutal may be the cinema?

Leo: “Cinema is art! It is not truth but entertainment. Django churn ‘is! When did you last see a movie about slavery? ”

IMAGE: How are private?

Leo: “I’m a bit worn out. I am now a big, big break. I shot 3 films in 2 years – and am actually all ready. ”

IMAGE: Flee?

Leo: “Yes, but not in front of my responsibility. I am privileged and wealthy. I want to improve the world a little bit! I will fly around the world in order to do good for the environment “(Leo’s website: leonardodicaprio.com).

IMAGE: Do you speak German?

Leo laughs: “It’s a little rusty, but it’s – for example, poppy seed cake! I spoke German with Christoph Waltz on the 130-day set. ”

IMAGE: Your last visit to Germany?

Leo’s blue eyes swim a little, “That’s sad. My grandmother was floating in the sky. She was a great hero of my childhood -. Beside my mother

Leo:Yes – she experienced suffering, hunger, misery, and yet they gave me security, hope and strength. She was and is my guardian angel. ”

IMAGE: Describe yourself ..

Leo: “I am a very happy man. I always wanted to be an actor – and my life is like a fairy tale. I’m growing up too slowly. But I may still be a bit of a crazy kid. ”

IMAGE: life goals?

Leo: family, children, happiness – and a healthy environment.”

IMAGE: How “green” do you live?

Leo: “My roof is full of solar panels. My own car is electrically powered, Sisca. A normal person does not travel more than 50 km a day. This goes well with socket. ”

IMAGE: What’s the price of fame?

Leo: “The loss of anonymity. However, I do not do what I do. ”

IMAGE: What do you do when you do nothing?

Leo: “I like to dive. I like to watch basketball. But now the German national football. I collect art and hang out with friends. ”

IMAGE: You will soon be 40 …

Leos short goatee grins: “A wonderful feeling. I explore the production – and what’s really important in life. I want people who are worse off help -. Because I was doing so well ”

http://translate.goo...40712.bild.html

image.jpg

Thanks for the goodies ladies!

Seems like everybody and their brother are becoming Leo fans lately! Its cool to see he is gaining more of a following!! :ddr: On my pinterest I have a board dedicated to him and since the golden globes I've gained about 10 new followers. :clap:

Aww, such an adorable interview. I loved the part where Leo said he wants to help others that need because he feels so good, how sweet is that? :wub:

And off course, loved the part where he talks about family and children. :heart:

But this whole interview is so nice, the best from all his Django promotion. thanks for the link, kat.

Does anyone know what event these 3 pics are from? Never saw them before. By the way thanks for posting them Amandine :)

Edit I think its the Total Eclipse premiere.. I see a poster of David Thewlis in the background. NVM lol

Others :

total.jpg th_db11a3202551165.jpg/monthly_01_2013/post-40197-0-1593845170-84434_thumb.jpg" class="ipsImage ipsImage_thumbnailed" alt="total.JPG3.jpg">