Bellazon

9 minutes ago, SympathysSilhouette said:

So does anyone know why the outfits get more hideous each year? There must be a reason behind it besides the designers? Is it a conscious choice on some level?

I think it might have something to do with running out of decent ideas and as result overthinking & overcompensating in certain areas like with “artisans,” accessories, wings, etc. Other factors could be the lack of artistic and creative direction, censorship by the networks, poor execution due to the lack of proper skills, and not selecting the right type of models.

1 minute ago, SympathysSilhouette said:

So does anyone know why the outfits get more hideous each year? There must be a reason behind it besides the designers? Is it a conscious choice on some level?

I refuse to believe a creative team consciously tries to be horrible asthetics wise. I think they are being led by someone with very bad taste level, Sophia/whoever incharge needs to go. All models, wing makers, PR people, set designers etc do their best work but whoever taking these calls on the segment themes and the individual pieces is doing a shitty job and pulling the whole thing down. When somethings do turn out good it's evident that it was accidental and not a planned effort. 

It's a mess and in my eyes I can't respect this show anymore for it claiming to be the sexiest night or whatever it's called ! 

4 minutes ago, PinkCouture said:

I think it might have something to do with running out of decent ideas and as result overthinking & overcompensating in certain areas like with “artisans,” accessories, wings, etc. Other factors could be the lack of artistic and creative direction, censorship by the networks, poor execution due to the lack of proper skills, and not selecting the right type of models.

I think it's a trend that probably already set in post-2007 (not that I think all of the creative choices prior to then were great obviously) and I think we have seen more of the poor outfits, either in concept, execution or both with each new edition of the show. The ratio of outfits that make me go "huh" seems to increase every year.

The sketches usually look good but then reality it fails miserably. They might be thinking too cartoony which look good in sketch but doesn’t translate well to reality. Anyway they should have realized this a long time ago. 

I don’t know why models even want to be in the show anymore because the whole thing is so embarrassing to me. I wanted to be a VS model pre 2009 but now hell no. 

1 minute ago, SympathysSilhouette said:

hpJjOjJ5_o.jpg

e.g. this piece.

The lingerie set is fine, but it clashes so much with the rest of that outfit. :ninja:

They might have gotten away (barely) with giving her either the jacket or the boots, but not both (which turned a quasi-bad ensemble into an incredibly bad one imho).

They have chosen countless times to pair colors who don’t make any sense together in outfits. I assume they think they are forward thinking or something. Lol. 

Eventually VS will run out of money (which they already are and I think that’s why they’re doing all these outrageous outfits to gain attention but it’s not going to work only drag people away from vs. and the fantasy bra this year costed 2 million and before it has costed over 10 million..) and they’ll stop the show and probably the brand will also go down the drain, they stopped swim. 

Its such a shame how an iconic brand like this let’s themselves go down the drain. 

Theyll also lose the good models who take themselves seriously and refuse to walk in these Halloween costumes. Like you could tell how Candice was so fed up by it. 

VS’ official jump the shark moment was when they started to recycle wings. Why? Because WINGS are what made the show special in the first place. When other brands copy the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Shows, they put wings on their models.

Also recycling shoes from past shows cheapened the brand and made it less prestigious.

19 minutes ago, Sanni said:

VS’ official jump the shark moment was when they started to recycle wings. Why? Because WINGS are what made the show special in the first place. When other brands copy the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Shows, they put wings on their models.

Also recycling shoes from past shows cheapened the brand and made it less prestigious.

I don't mind them recycling wings. Not only are they expensive each wing takes a long time to put together. Also from a business and sustainability standpoint it makes sense.

Shoe I am a bit "ermmm" about because the idea of sharing shoes grosses me out. But again from a business and sustainability standpoint it makes sense.

Is there a reason at all that they need to come up with over-complicated 'themes' for the show every year? Why don't they just put the girls in sexy lingerie, add wings and that's it? Maybe it's me being a red-blooded male that wants them to wear a lot less than we saw this year :rofl: but is it really that hard?

8 minutes ago, SympathysSilhouette said:

Romee Strijd did look very good at this year's show and I say this as someone who is far from her biggest fan and will likely never become a big fan.

Her pre-VS work is pretty good. VS seem to have dimmed her sparkle and true potential.

56 minutes ago, SympathysSilhouette said:

I am pretty sure its a matter of taste. VS is not trolling us to see just how much crap the audience will put up with.

The segments started with an awesome idea.... Balmain has done some great stuff..  concept punk Angels.. lets up it with Olivier (sounds promising). Porcelain angels.. new concept, could have been beautiful, some items were. Goddesses... haven't quite seen this theme and its one that has been requested before.. some outfits were a mess but it was a different profile form what weve seen lately. 

Pink is always like that movie you go and see because its meant to provide stupid comedy and enjoy-ability, not going to win any Oscars though.

36 minutes ago, Sanni said:

I agree with this 99% - I do not mind them re-using those black wings.

I was happy this year to see different shoes. 

Another boring thing they do is that the stage is always the same with LED and it always have the same openings. What happened to the girls coming out of a Christmas present in 2005, an angel flying down the runway, etc. it’s what made the show fun :/ and I want more fun scenery like in 2005

Yes to them needing to build more sets again. This year only one segment looked good, the one with the pillars. Otherwise it was very dark, just a black background for the models. Makes the show look cold and the stage very big and empty. Past shows created that sexy, fun, sensual, and glamorous feel with the sets as well.