Bellazon

Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2014 (GENERAL DISCUSSION)

Clauds

I don't think VS are racist in any way. Yes they should be more racially diverse in their main lineup but I don't think they are racist. I do however think that what Claudia is saying makes sense because they cast certain girls for certain segments based on if they would suit that segment or suit the clothes. They've said that in castings videos. Like Eniko looks great and all that but it's clear she would fit the fairy section. So in terms of Exotic Traveler they would have selected certain girls for that section because they fit the exotic look. While I don't think its racist, but they should at least be in other segments so it's not like they're cast just for that segment. Also the whole blonde hair blue eyed thing all looking the same is stupid. I hate when people say that. But it's never seen as bad but if someone said black girls or asian girls look the same then it's racist. I think race is a tricky subject.

Casting certain girls for certain outfits or segments because they suit said outfits or segments does not make them racist, nor does it necessarily mean they are stereotyping them, and that is the point. Certain colors look better on different skin tones. Prints look different on different body types, and VS does to some degree, (with various levels of success) try to make each segment in their show, (by year) have a different feel to it.

But in reference to the original statement, out of the 4 "ethnic girls" from wild things, 2 of them walked in other segments as well. Liu and Lais both has second outfits. Selita and Emanuela did not. However that was Selita's last year and Emanuela only received one outfit the following year as well, though to be fair Emanuela's outfit in Wild Things did make me blink a little and shake my head. 

It's funny when some people still thinking about VS stereotype this & that when it will end up a riot if VS put all blonde girls in segments like Exotic Travelers @ Wild Things. Don't think too much because after all, it's all about what & who suits the best for certain segments especially with some specific theme & inspiration.

Calm down people, I know you're all hard to be satisfied by VS, because I am too  :D

VS has certainly been guilty of cultural insensitivity, e.g. when they stupidly put Karlie in an Indian headdress. It's a rather staggering gaffe for such a big, international brand to make. You'd think someone in that company would have seen the error (the cultural appropriation) in that look long before it made it out onto the runway.

post-186-0-1446074129-25693_thumb.jpg

VS has certainly been guilty of cultural insensitivity, e.g. when they stupidly put Karlie in an Indian headdress. It's a rather staggering gaffe for such a big, international brand to make. You'd think someone in that company would have seen the error (the cultural appropriation) in that look long before it made it out onto the runway.

post-89151-0-1446074130-32092_thumb.jpg

She should've just come out in PINK sweatpants holding a cup of pumpkin spice latte.

post-83964-0-1446074131-42876_thumb.jpg

Indeed. Let's not talk about racial diversity/asian and black girls/and so on, since everyone thinks differently about those arguments, and they'll never come to an end. This on the other hand was a giant mistake that everyone but them saw. Even I, being as european as you can get, could see it. I still don't understand why nobody thought it was inappropriate.

My question is if they put say a girl of American Indian ancestry in that outfit, would people have been offended? It's the same with puting girls who have certain looks for certain outfits. Like the exotic traveler look. I mean so what if it is blondes or brunettes with lighter skin or whatever. I don't really care about that but would people make a big deal if it isn't? Emanuela's look in Wild Things for example. It wasn't the best if you ask me but no big deal was made about it. But if they put that look on say Rosie, Karlie, Lily etc would everyone get all offended? Just wondering peoples thoughts on that.

Not being American I didn't get offended by Karlie's outfit in 2012 but I can understand that people did. No arguments wanted just want to see people's ideas. Everyone's opinions differ on this subject. We shouldn't keep getting off topic from the show but it happens.

My question is if they put say a girl of American Indian ancestry in that outfit, would people have been offended? It's the same with puting girls who have certain looks for certain outfits. Like the exotic traveler look. I mean so what if it is blondes or brunettes with lighter skin or whatever. I don't really care about that but would people make a big deal if it isn't? Emanuela's look in Wild Things for example. It wasn't the best if you ask me but no big deal was made about it. But if they put that look on say Rosie, Karlie, Lily etc would everyone get all offended? Just wondering peoples thoughts on that.

Not being American I didn't get offended by Karlie's outfit in 2012 but I can understand that people did. No arguments wanted just want to see people's ideas. Everyone's opinions differ on this subject. We shouldn't keep getting off topic from the show but it happens.

There was an article written back in 2012: http://www.businessinsider.com/racism-at-victorias-secret-a-brief-history-2012-11

I agree ^^^

And see this is kind of why I'm worried about the segment exotic traveler. Is it going to be just beautiful, rich, vibrant designs and colours? Like I hope. Or will they borderline offend again like Wild Things or straight up offend like Karlie's outfit. I hope VS won't make the same mistakes.

There was an article written back in 2012: http://www.businessinsider.com/racism-at-victorias-secret-a-brief-history-2012-11

Good article. But I think Karlie's made headlines because it was the most striking example, "a native american outfit to represent Thanksgiving", more than the cliches VS is used to, like white girls for the country segment, or black girls for the wild segment as mentioned. And maybe on a different girl it would have been the same?  :idk: Just guessing, again I'm not american so I can't be sure.

But back to the show, I have a question, for how long has Lindsay been an angel? (Assuming she's out after this year)

seriously, it's just a show.

indian headdress or whatever. it's same like when heidi klum wore that halloween outfit people went crazy about. it's heidi, she is in hollywood, who cares about some goddess. she didn't obviously.

"Whatever" only applies if you don't give a fuck about how the people whose cultural totems (pun not intended) are being recycled for a fashion show feel about things.

seriously, it's just a show.

indian headdress or whatever. it's same like when heidi klum wore that halloween outfit people went crazy about. it's heidi, she is in hollywood, who cares about some goddess. she didn't obviously.

Agree.. people wants to take down racism and get all consider as the same, but they start a huge talking on such a small thing, who cares seriously? i used to disguise myself on indian too when i was little.. people really search the small things.

I just hoped they 'll change a little their segment but i feel like it's always around the same... like last year the "snow part" was very familiar ! and this year "fairy tale" "gilded angel" really they could find so much better, i first hope exotic traveler will be around origin of the girl (they could.. they have girl from all around the world) but after reading the discuss, i don't think so and it's sound very familiar too !

I'm so happy that they finally gave Elsa another outfit ot of the pink! she deserve it and for me she's cleary one of their futur girl...  but i'm kind of disapointed if Karlie opened the show, i always thought she has nothing to do with vs.. but i' m glad her body is way better than the first time, do someone remember the skeleton ? i was like "my god i'm gonna get you a mcdo." it was incredible scary for a glamorous show who usually made you wants to gave up on pizza and work out for reach a body like those girls!

It's almost time to see!!!

Exotic Travellers seems to be a celebration of different cultures and styles from around the world. Sure it would be better if there were more models from around the countries that aren't primarily Caucasian but there are really a limited # of legitimate models who fit that category and are established enough to be cast by VS. Compared to other brands they are at least making an active effort to not only include more diverse models but actual good ones. I think that and Angels Ball will be their best two segments this year.

I like this year how everyone is looking really fit not just skinny as hell. Ale, Adri and Candice all had those skinny bodies since 2011 at one point or the other and this year they all look great, really toned and not just skinny. Would be interesting to see either Behati or Karlie open the show, never know how they would do until they try.