Bellazon

What's your favorite movie genre

Rhett

Damn, too many choices...

I prefer dramas and comedies (also romantic ones), but I don't mind a good action movie, either.

Requiem For A Dream, Terminator 2, A Beautiful Mind, Lost in Translation, Romeo & Juliet, Pulp Fiction, Taxi Driver, Girl With a Pearl Earring, Equilibrium, Forrest Gump, etc...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

another good variable for this is, how much of your favorite do you get?

there were approximately zero good superhero movies between Batman and X-Men. and not many between Batman and Superman. now, thankfully, they're churning them out.

and good sci-fi? almost never happens.

I have to agree. But if you delve into the past, you can find several quality movies for all of those genres. I maybe see 3-4 movies a year that I would describe as true quality (I'm talking about new releases) and of those 1 and if I'm very lucky maybe 2 will be so impressive they might leave a lasting impression for a few days or weeks. But I see lots of quality movies. The myth that Hollywood was better in the past is a bit overused. There is some truth to it, but it also has a little something to do with the fact that the only movies that have survived in the common conscience of humanity are the quality ones.

that per se is subjective, when really shitty movies that bomb at the box office, like Blade Runner, somehow turn into all-time greats that will live on forever. and no, you can't find that many good superhero movies :)

trust me on this one. it was a dead genre for the longest time. Superman almost changed things, but Marvel just didn't have clout back then. their tv-movies like Spiderman, Captain America and others were just shlocky trash. it wasn't until Avi Arad came around that things really changed, and hero movies became worth putting effort into. before, they were just considered niche market for the video rental crowd.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 6 months later...