Bellazon

2014 SI Swimsuit

slowen

They seem to pick the models with famous boyfriends lately which is disappointing as the cover use to be a launch pad for these young dreaming models.

One thing kinda perplexes me - there used to be times when SI made the stars - whoever they put on the cover it was a big thing for the girl to be there. Now it sounds like being on the cover doesn´t really matter, because SI needs someone famous and recognizable - so they are no more relevant and star-makers as they used to be,

Maybe they could ask Barack Obama to pose for them.

I think they will do multiple covers and people can buy the cover they want but i agree it cheapens it.

I don't like the idea of several covers at all, IMO it cheapens the whole concept of the cover shot being especial.

Hope my girl Jessica Perez makes it to the next location, fingers crossed

We've all been listening to you take her down a "peg" for months now and it's about run it's course.

I've been lightened up for awhile now... haven't said fuck all to you or anyone else about the issue, and now I'm saying something about it.

I think they will do multiple covers and people can buy the cover they want but i agree it cheapens it.

I don't like the idea of several covers at all, IMO it cheapens the whole concept of the cover shot being especial.

Hope my girl Jessica Perez makes it to the next location, fingers crossed

i agree.  rather than cultivate talent and rely on great models and great photographers, they've devolved into themes, gimmicks, and celebrity worship (not so much the girls but their athlete or musician boyfriends, which is slightly perverse and degrading, as if the women are only worth as much as the men they pull). 

the south african version is more like what SI used to be.  fantastic roster of girls, excellent photography, no (or maybe just less) Barbie-fied photoshopping, no gimmicks like 3-D or touristy backdrops, etc.  the cover is picked based on which girl can generate an image worth showing on the cover rather than who she happens to be dating or how internet-famous she may be at the time.  i just wish they could exchange budgets!

it's a bit interesting because the american version is also publishing this huge retrospective book.  i haven't seen it yet in person but from the small previews it seems to focus more on the girls rather than the gimmicks.  SI would be better off if the actual issues did that as well. 

From what I´ve seen so far, the book looks amazing. As someone pointed out, it seems much less photoshoped and more natural.

SISA looks great, even when I do not like all of the models, the photography makes up for it totally, they all look gorgeous. (aside from some mimick ;) ) It trully looks like SI back-to-basic.

However, I´m very curious about this years SI :)

It doesn't send out the right message to young girls too the next generation that to get recognized they need to snag a famous boyfriend it's kinda sad.. as if these women are just trophy's and meat for the rich and famous  :angry:

But it's also not entirely SI's fault, it's the whole american culture that gives too shits about models and it's in love with the Kardashians and there's not much SI can do about it.

You can't blame it entirely on SI, it is a business after all and they need to sell those magazines. They don't put girls with famous boyfriends just because of the famous boyfriends, they put them in the cover because people knows who they are, if a sudden model rises and becomes hugely popular on her own VS & SI would probably fight to dead over that girl until one of them snags her.

SASI it's a whole different thing because it's a much smaller thing, there's not as much money in stake as with SI. I'm all for Anne getting a cover or even Jessica P because I like them, I like them way more than Kate but If it was me selling those magazines I would no doubt put Kate/Bar on the over Anne any day too.

I'm not saying I particularly love SI in recent years, I do believe there's a few aspects that could be improved ... But the model selection process can't be the same as the 80's & 90's because the model industry is not the same, at least for 2012 and 2013 MJ seems to be doing better in that sense than Diane did in previous years.

Scott Lipps just posted this photo, I guess it's from the photoshoot with cover stars. I think that models who signed this book are confirmed (even though we basically knew these names already) I recognize autographs of Kate U., Veronika, Carolyn Murphy, Petra, Paulina, Bar, Daniela (?), Brooklyn (?), Kathy (?) and Elle (?)

post-18001-0-69003800-1382733055_thumb.p