Bellazon

What made you smile/laugh today?

frenchkiki

Meet the man who wants to know what life’s like as a goat

http://metro.co.uk/2015/08/13/meet-the-man-who-wants-to-know-what-lifes-like-as-a-goat-5341973/?ito=facebook

Thwaites said: ‘Posthumanism, transhumanism technology and stuff, is about allowing humans to achieve their desires in a way.

‘And I guess [some people’s] desires aren’t necessarily to become super intelligent.’

:cain:

This FAO toy store was an absolute paradise for children. It's been closed.  Brings back childhood memories of going to the "greatest toy store on earth".

post-40981-0-1446015228-00159_thumb.jpg

From WSJ article May 19, 2015

There are few constants in the life of this shape-shifting city. But since time immemorial, or close enough as we of mere flesh and blood need to be concerned, FAO Schwarz has been at the corner of Fifth Avenue and 58th Street.

I realize the store isn’t technically on the corner, but for kids of all ages, the anticipation starts at the corner—if not at that even vaster crossroads, the mind’s eye.....

I’ve been an FAO Schwarz customer for well over a half-century. Indeed, I suspect that when I came home from the hospital in a baby blanket my bassinet was stocked with rattles or stuffed animals from that Shangri-La of kids’ stuff.

In more recent years, I’ve been visiting FAO Schweetz on the ground floor at regular intervals to stock up on overpriced penny candy. The selection is no different or better than at dozens of other places across the city. But passing through the store’s portals, after exchanging pleasantries with that toy soldier doorman or whatever he is, I experienced the narcotic neocortal exhilaration, the remnants of fairy dust on the forest floor of my distant childhood.

I’m still not doing the place justice. Because, in the life of many New Yorkers, it was actually much more than a store. It served as the realization of a type of impossible dream.