Bellazon

Looks vs. Personality

Chicken

I know plenty of people with great personalities, both men and women, who can't find/keep a mate.

And the grand majority of them are below average when it comes to physical beauty. As much as most of us hate to admit it, physical appearance does come at n° 1 in terms of demands for a partner. We don't all actually believe we'll land ourselves a supermodel or a super-stud, but we'll each try to drag the most attractive person possible back to our cave.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting... I'm not the greatest looking guy, but a good portion of women that I attract are very beautiful. I think every woman is different--that their standards are determined by a combination of genetic and environmental factors. Anyways, attraction is not a choice. People cannot help but feel attracted to or repulsed by someone. This has nothing to do with being a shallow person.

• 3 weeks later...
I know plenty of people with great personalities, both men and women, who can't find/keep a mate.

And the grand majority of them are below average when it comes to physical beauty. As much as most of us hate to admit it, physical appearance does come at n° 1 in terms of demands for a partner. We don't all actually believe we'll land ourselves a supermodel or a super-stud, but we'll each try to drag the most attractive person possible back to our cave.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

PERSONALITY.

of course looks matter as you walk up to hot people not ugly ones.

but i couldnt be with a stupid person.

humour means more to me than looks.

me & my friend put it like this.

- really hot but terrible personality = one night stand

- alright looking but great personality = date

• 1 month later...

Looks do matter, but it's not that I wouldn't date a girl who is, let's put it mildly, not the prettiest face around. It's a matter of personal hygiene and style. The most important thing as far as looks are concerned is not really one's face - because if a girl has a nice face, but ruins it with tons of aggressive make-up and slutty clothes (or just any wrong-chosen clothes, for that matter), then so what? I think that if you don't find yourself too pretty, you should at least try to look good and attractive. Attitude and self-confidence are very important.

But still, personality is on top of it. Why? Well, I don't know, but I think that personality might be more attractive in the long run. For example, one friend of mine is not too pretty (she has a nice body, though - as long as you like tall, skinny models, that is), but she's so friendly and full of positive energy that when I talk to her, looks don't matter. I enjoy chatting with her because she's so cheerful. And that's the thing.

I've been thinking this over for a while, and come to th conclusion that though my entire statement about how personality is THE ONLY thing that matters, it's simply not true.

I think the two things co-exist. I've met gorgeous people, girls that were as pretty as Jessica Alba and guys that match whatever poster boy you have put up as the ultimate fantasy. Some were nice, others weren't. And what really surprised me is how much their appearance is influenced by their personality.

I remember this beautiful guy (yes, beautiful was the only word for him) and I wanted to like him (heh, as did the 20 other gals working in the store) but he was just so arrogant and irritating, I went cold on him within a minute. He suddenly looked very different from the way he did when he walked in. I don't know if I'm making sense.

It also works the way around. Who else has grown attracted to people they didn't notice at first? Like Q's example, I'm betting there are many more out there.

I've been thinking this over for a while, and come to th conclusion that though my entire statement about how personality is THE ONLY thing that matters, it's simply not true.

I think the two things co-exist. I've met gorgeous people, girls that were as pretty as Jessica Alba and guys that match whatever poster boy you have put up as the ultimate fantasy. Some were nice, others weren't. And what really surprised me is how much their appearance is influenced by their personality.

I remember this beautiful guy (yes, beautiful was the only word for him) and I wanted to like him (heh, as did the 20 other gals working in the store) but he was just so arrogant and irritating, I went cold on him within a minute. He suddenly looked very different from the way he did when he walked in. I don't know if I'm making sense.

It also works the way around. Who else has grown attracted to people they didn't notice at first? Like Q's example, I'm betting there are many more out there.

Oh well...

For me, Personality os more important. However... I've never dated or kissed ugly boys.. NEVER! It's not that I push "ugly" guys away, It's just that... I first get impressed by their looking! And then I find their personality: If it's good-looking but brainless or lack of personality, I don't like it, I think "It's a shame!". But my cases have been guys with both looking and personality and not because I've wanted to.

BUT... they've been idiots <_<

• 2 weeks later...
BUT... they've been idiots <_<

i'm sorry :hug: :/

well... i guess personality is best appreciated when it comes in a beautiful wrapping.

Sounds harsh but i guess to an certain extent everyone gives someone who's good-looking more chances to show his personality.

Average/ not so good-looking people with great personalities win in the long run but we make it harder for them to show their sparkle.

• 1 month later...

That is really hard. I mean the looks of a person is normally the first thing you get to see and therefore it's the first impression. I think it's so sad because people can be so judgemental and shallow. My friends has also mentioned that they would never date a guy who isn't attractive but I mean come on I think it's so juvenile. I must say I find it hard too but at least I try to not judge the book by it's cover. Get to know the person first because in the end it's really not about the looks.

• 3 weeks later...
That is really hard. I mean the looks of a person is normally the first thing you get to see and therefore it's the first impression. I think it's so sad because people can be so judgemental and shallow. My friends has also mentioned that they would never date a guy who isn't attractive but I mean come on I think it's so juvenile. I must say I find it hard too but at least I try to not judge the book by it's cover. Get to know the person first because in the end it's really not about the looks.

You're friend will end up loving and getting married to a really unattractive guy, she may write it and it will happen. Never say never.

Personality is by far more important. Everyones looks fade at some point but personality remains. That's not to say you should just ignore looks but personality is more important in the end.

This is so wrong and so not true.

People's looks fade.. you mean we get older. You get older too, so this is less of an issue. I bet if you asked someone who had been with their partner for years and they were, say 70, if you asked them if they still think their partner is physically attractive, they'd probably say yes. Now, sure, compared to a 26-year-old model or something, they'd probably have less of an appeal. But the point is that you grow up with them too, so you don't notice it as much.

Personality doesn't always remain, to suggest as much is rather narrow-minded. People's personality can change quite a lot. Perhaps not from day to day or week to week. I sometimes meet high school friends I haven't seen in just a year and they've changed a lot personality-wise. Different interests, different way of thinking or even speaking in some cases - different likes and dislikes. Personality will change over time as well.

me & my friend put it like this.

- really hot but terrible personality = one night stand

- alright looking but great personality = date

I think we need to get past these sweeping generalizations and cliché stereotypes -- that, to be hot is almost all the time to be superficial, and to be average looking or quite normal in looks is to be intelligent, understanding, funny and profound.

That's always how people tip the scales. Of course, then it makes personality seem the more important.

Why does it always have to be presented as an 'either, or' as well? Why can't both be equally important?

definitely looks when it comes to one night stand... I mean, i don't wanna TALK to you, i just wanna... so yeah... but it doesn't mean they have to look smokin hot, sometimes flaws are exciting :shifty: however for a more serious relationship, personnality and charisma are more important than looks but i wouldn't date someone ugly as a pug unless they're wealthy and close to die :ninja:

still the best answer in this thread :whistle: