Bellazon

The "What Are You Thinking About Right Now?" PIP

Francesca

1 minute ago, Cult Icon said:

I walked into a hawk today.  It was as big as turkey and eating a dead animal.  Then it flew up to a tree and waited for me to pass. :

Beautiful bird! Do you like crows/ravens?  These babies are beautiful too (and very smart) :bounce:

11 minutes ago, Enrico_sw said:

Beautiful bird! Do you like crows/ravens?  These babies are beautiful too (and very smart) :bounce:

Crows are cool.  I heard that they can lift the lids of garbage cans to get at the food inside.  

I rarely see these birds in the suburbs though.  This is only the second time I've seen a hawk.

I see deer all the time, I go to this great hill with mansions and I see groups of deer twice a month.  They are the most shy animals.

what animals do you often see?

1 hour ago, Enrico_sw said:

Yeah, makes sense. I used to listen to history podcasts when I took the metro (that was when civilization still existed... before the quarantine Stone Age :laugh:). They were short podcasts (15 minutes). I dunno if I could do it with an audiobook, I'm too used to read in a chair (or in a train/plane for long journeys) while listening to music.

I find that with audiobooks/lectures the efficiency is massive. For complicated texts or texts where you just want to read portions the audiobook shouldn't be used though.  The audiobook saves 2 x time for me and I don't have to make any time to clear them.  

There are youtube channels filled with study music on loop, usually of the soft type!

28 minutes ago, Cult Icon said:

Crows are cool.  I heard that they can lift the lids of garbage cans to get at the food inside.  

I rarely see these birds in the suburbs though.  This is only the second time I've seen a hawk.

I see deer all the time, I go to this great hill with mansions and I see groups of deer twice a month.  They are the most shy animals.

what animals do you often see?

Yeah, crows are super smart. They also use car traffic to break their walnuts for them.

I live in Paris, so humans are the animals I see most often... and then pigeons, dogs and cats :laugh:

But I try to go to the country  and there I see boars, deers, crows, hawks, doves, eagles, squirrels. Snakes sometimes. I rarely see foxes, but I like them.

9 minutes ago, Enrico_sw said:

Yeah, crows are super smart. They also use car traffic to break their walnuts for them.

I live in Paris, so humans are the animals I see most often... and then pigeons, dogs and cats :laugh:

But I try to go to the country  and there I see boars, deers, crows, hawks, doves, eagles, squirrels. Snakes sometimes. I rarely see foxes, but I like them.

I used to have a beaver living under my tool shed.  We have wild turkeys here too.  I see the same one several times a month.   A week ago a turkey surprised me in that it crossed a busy street mindfully.   They are smarter than I thought.   My favorite are the deer, they usually are in groups of 3-6 here and run across various properties.  The downside of deer is that they  ruthlessly eat all the flowers in the neighborhood. 

We mainly get small birds here.  The most interesting ones are cardinals and blue jays.   There are also wild geese but these are mainly in the fields.

The most common animal are squirrels.  They are everywhere.    When covid happened I saw swarms of chipmunks, unbelievable- that spring.  NYC has a lot of crows, ravens with giant rats & squirrels.

3 hours ago, Enrico_sw said:

I used to live in Australia and they don't have pigeons there. This is what replaces pigeons in Sydney: cockatoos. Much better than pigeons!

+ fat pigeons are everywhere in nyc.

Those birds look expensive compared to pigeons, like trophy wives.  Sometimes I want to get out of here, Australia is probably a better place to live and with better wildlife. I heard new zealand is gorgeous and just better.

10 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

I walked into a hawk today.  It was as big as turkey and eating a dead animal.  Then it flew up to a tree and waited for me to pass. :

golden_eagle_baker_co_myatt_odfw.jpg?h=e

I love hawks! I had one fly by me so close, the wing nearly caught my hair. They are special to me for many reasons. 

5 hours ago, CandleVixen said:

I love hawks! I had one fly by me so close, the wing nearly caught my hair. They are special to me for many reasons. 

In my neighborhood I saw another brown hawk do that to a woman, and it spooked her out. It flew low, over her head.  Notably this was the same hill with the deer I just mentioned before, with very tall trees.

There is bridge near Frenchtown.  This bridge, at the center of downtown has a lot of tourist activity and eagles of various types, even bald eagles! like to hang out.  They have no fear of humans and just settle down on the railings. 

what kind of animals do you see?

5 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

Oh... :hang:

Hopefully Lebron's recovery won't take that long. What is Davis current situation? Any estimate on his return?

Yeah..We will know more tomorrow when they get the MRI results. Hopefully it's just a mild sprain, X-rays were negative so that's a good sign.

There's not timetable for AD's return, last week the team doctors said that he will be evaluated again in two weeks..My guess is 2-3 weeks from now :idk:

https://www.essentiallysports.com/nba-basketball-news-anthony-davis-injury-update-what-is-the-latest-news-on-the-lakers-stars-return/

8 minutes ago, Matt! said:

Yeah..We will know more tomorrow when they get the MRI results. Hopefully it's just a mild sprain, X-rays were negative so that's a good sign.

There's not timetable for AD's return, last week the team doctors said that he will be evaluated again in two weeks..My guess is 2-3 weeks from now :idk:

https://www.essentiallysports.com/nba-basketball-news-anthony-davis-injury-update-what-is-the-latest-news-on-the-lakers-stars-return/

Thing really not looking good for the Lakers...