Bellazon

Food

Joe > Average

6 minutes ago, Matt! said:

It was prosciutto and tasted pretty decent! 

That's 2000 kcals for the whole pizza..woah.

The best pizza I've ever had was something like 700-800 calories a regular sized slice IIRC.  

The fattiest pizza I know of is deep dish pizza.  The individual sized pizzas at Uno's  were like 2,500-2,000 + /- calories each.

20080509UnosSpinnocoli.jpg

The effect of eating one of these things is a food coma 45 minutes later.

1 hour ago, Cult Icon said:

The fattiest pizza I know of is deep dish pizza.  The individual sized pizzas at Uno's  were like 2,500-2,000 + /- calories each.

The effect of eating one of these things is a food coma 45 minutes later.

You can eat that in one sitting? 

The pizza you got tends to be very overpriced here- expensive for small amounts.

How much was your pizza?

8 minutes ago, Matt! said:

You can eat that in one sitting? 

How much was your pizza?

The Uno personal pizza is actually edible by any adult in one sitting.  It is just absurdly dense with fat.  It is the most unhealthy thing I've ever eaten.

The frozen pizza?  The 12 inch was $6.50 USD at a local grocery store.  I have seen the 16 inch for $ 4 at a wholesalers.  A 16 inch with toppings from a pizza place  is usually around $25-10 here.

29 minutes ago, Cult Icon said:

The Uno personal pizza is actually edible by any adult in one sitting.  It is just absurdly dense with fat.  It is the most unhealthy thing I've ever eaten.

So basically a coronary heart disease on a plate, yuck.

31 minutes ago, Cult Icon said:

The frozen pizza?  The 12 inch was $6.50 USD at a local grocery store.  I have seen the 16 inch for $ 4 at a wholesalers. 

That's not so bad, it's about same here, around $4-6. 

33 minutes ago, Cult Icon said:

A 16 inch with toppings from a pizza place  is usually around $25-10 here.

Like local cardboard pizza or something a bit better?

Here you can get a extra-large pizza for $16, and if you want something a bit better, like the artisan pizza I had yesterday, it'll be around $30..Large Pizza Hut pizzas are around $22-35. 

I've never been to Chicago so I've never had this pizza in a real place.  I had the Uno pizza at one of their flagship stores (water st. NYC)  three times.   It was shockingly delicious the first two times I had it, almost as good in the third.  I ate at Uno a few times afterwards in regular chains and it wasn't anywhere as good. 

I think the calorie count comes from how they use enormous amounts of butter/olive oil to deep fry the crust.  I wouldn't be surprised if they used a stick of butter (800 calories) for the personal.  The pizza itself is a hybrid of lasagna and pan pizza.

Yea, the average small pizza place with crappy toppings and forgettable pizza, typically done NY style.  The cheapest pizza with toppings is the 19 inch at Costco.  Usually the "grandma pizza" is around 25 USD.

Artisan pizzas are expensive, roughly 30-60 USD, with modest slices at 5-12 USD

Interesting how you say Pizza Hut is that price.  In the 1990s I remember them being mid- tier and not cheap.  Then they changed their business model in the US and became very cheap, among the very cheapest of pizza like Costco but without the quality of Costco.   The pizza is barely servicable, and is typically not hot enough.  It doesn't taste fresh and it has crappy toppings.

more testing of popular cake mixes:

Pillsbury Funfetti cake mix (1/2 stick butter, 5 large eggs, 10 teaspoons vanilla pudding) with Duncan Hines Lemon icing and Cool Whip on the side.

The cake came out structurally very sound like the yellow cake, and was quite good.  However, 5 large eggs is too much and the egg taste was too strong.  10 teaspoons of vanilla pudding makes it sweet and flavorful enough to be eaten without any add ons.  With add ons, it gets a bit too sweet.

As far as the Lemon icing goes, as I expected it was a bit too "much" for a vanilla cake, it is more appropriate to use it with yellow cake.  In the cases of the icing and whip, they both made the cake a bit too sweet.  So the lesson I learned is that if I want to ice or cream the cake, I would have to lower the vanilla pudding powder and also use fewer eggs.

• 2 weeks later...

Review of two brownie mixes:  Both were very good.  I didn't use chocolate pudding mix (which leads to an extremely moist, sweet, and creamy brownie) but they were still good enough.

King Arthur: Add-in: 2/3rds cup of 55% dark chocolate per 17 oz.  The main problem with this mix was that it didn't hold together very well, especially in the center.  Very crumbly.  I froze the brownie and it congealed properly.

Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate:  Add-in: 2/3rds cup of 55% dark chocolate per 20 oz.  The better of the two mixes, held together better and tasted a bit better (stronger dark chocolate taste) despite the fact that I used less dark chocolate chips.

I just made a Digrorno frozen supreme pizza and I had far superior results than before.  The crust became similar to that of a Costco supreme slice and nothing like a piece of cardboard like before.  Very happy!  The overall taste was similar to a Costco supreme slice but with a lightly oiled, pan pizza like bottom.

I did this:

- Used two cookie sheets, stacked.   I greased the foil with a few tablespoons of oil and put the pizza on it.

-I stacked iron cookie sheets and short pans together (many layers) to make a makeshift pizza stone on the center rank. 

- ran the pizza for about 30 minutes on 400 degrees and then moved the pizza to the lower rank for a couple of minutes to fully melt the cheese.