Bellazon

Food

Joe > Average

1 hour ago, Matt! said:

Chinese Friday :chicken:

1. pan fried dumplings with a dash of sesame seeds.  Looks like frozen or they made it in-house

2. beef and tofu soup with wonton noodles?

3. chicken lo mein, stir fried?

This was at a sit-in restaurant?  At takeout places they usually don't garnish the dishes with seseme , scallion, green onion, and peppers

9 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

1. pan fried dumplings with a dash of sesame seeds.  Looks like frozen or they made it in-house

2. beef and tofu soup with wonton noodles?

3. chicken lo mein, stir fried?

This was at a sit-in restaurant?  At takeout places they usually don't garnish the dishes with seseme , scallion, green onion, and peppers

1) Yeah the pork dumplings were really good! They were handmade in-house, correct!

2) Yeah, Hang Shao beef noodles, they were a huge disappointment..the veggies were terrible :unsure: correct!

3) Yup correct again! 

Wow you really know your Chinese food! :Dinah: Yes, it is a sit-in restaurant with good reviews. I'm definitely ordering those dumplings again! 

47 minutes ago, Stromboli1 said:

No, I hadn't heard of it :chicken: 

Not really worried though, considering I've been making bread only around once per week

49 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

No, I hadn't heard of it :chicken: 

Not really worried though, considering I've been making bread only around once per week

Okay cool.

It's very interesting and didn't know that, but some bakers wear masks. :idk:

17 hours ago, Stromboli1 said:

no, but I heard that cooks sometimes have that problem.  Also, they get knee pain because they're standing all the time.

On 6/6/2020 at 12:00 AM, Matt! said:

Wow you really know your Chinese food! :Dinah: Yes, it is a sit-in restaurant with good reviews. I'm definitely ordering those dumplings again! 

you seem to eat meals that are two times bigger than normal :D

I am familiar with Chinese and Japanese food.  

1 hour ago, Cult Icon said:

this is called Chinese hamburger over here I think.  I've never had it.

Okay.

Interesting:

Roujiamo is considered the Chinese equivalent to the Western hamburger and meat sandwiches. Roujiamo could be the world's oldest sandwich or hamburger, since the bread or the "mo" dates back to the Qin dynasty (221–206 BC) and the meat to the Zhou dynasty (1045–256 BC). Thus, Chinese media has claimed that hamburgers originated in China.

this exchange reminds me of a Mongolian grill I used to go to with the boys in high school.  We used to drive there at lunchtime, and then stuff our containers with two meals worth of meat, vegetables, and noodles.  The way the place worked was they would have the fresh ingredients displayed, and like a buffet line you would pick up your items.  At the end of the line, a grillmaster would cook your selection.  It was a great place to get a meal.  Sadly it went out of business after a couple of years and I never went to a mongolian grill again.

I did more box cakes.  The batter for the brownies tasted divine, the Carrot cake was rich and cinnamony and the RV was a bit on the milder side.  I used butter for all three instead of oil:

1. Betty Crocker Carrot Cake + 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon + 6 teaspoon vanilla pudding powder 

2. Betty Crocker Red Velvet + 6 teaspoon chocolate pudding powder

3. Betty Crocker Triple chocolate chunk brownie + 2.5 oz. of 86% cocoa chocolate + 6 teaspoon chocolate pudding powder

first impressions: while hot

1. The brownies were a complete success! they came out extremely rich and decadent.  

2.  With the vanilla and chocolate pudding powder, I was correct for the brownies (6 teaspoons) but I low-balled it too much for the cakes.  9 teaspoons of chocolate could probably be added without disturbing the other flavors of the cake.  The vanilla was strong enough but could be slightly stronger (Eg. maybe 7-8 teaspoons).

The result however, was nevertheless still good, albeit it would be better if the RV was a bit sweeter.  The carrot cake I'm not sure, it may be worse if it was sweeter and maybe better.  The cinnamon add-in could be doubled by 2 x to 3 teaspoons or more as the cinnamon flavor was faint.   The 2.5 oz 86% chocolate added to the browner gave very little sweetness, it was mostly bitter.

3. Edit: The egg whipping seems to have worked on closer examination.  The RV cake rose higher than I've ever seen it before.  The carrot cake was a little bit lower, due to the marginally higher fat content.

4. I've lost respect for the Aldi/Baker's Corner mixes.  They are poor.  The brownie mix between theirs and BC  is night and day.

This is the best box cake I've made so far.  Revised for next time:

1. Betty Crocker Carrot Cake + 3-4 teaspoon cinnamon + 8-10 teaspoon vanilla pudding powder 

2. Betty Crocker Red Velvet + 10-12 teaspoon chocolate pudding powder

3. Betty Crocker Triple chocolate chunk brownie + 2.5 oz. of 86% cocoa chocolate + 3-6 teaspoon chocolate pudding powder