Bellazon

Food

Joe > Average

On 5/16/2020 at 10:04 PM, Stromboli1 said:

@Cult Icon

Here's another pork loin recipe that you might want to try too.

Interesting, I never made something like this.  I was thinking of BBQing the Pork loin chinese take out style:.  Have you made this? You seem to like Bok choy, which is a good vegetable, particularly with vinegar and garlic sauce.

1 hour ago, Cult Icon said:

Interesting, I never made something like this.  I was thinking of BBQing the Pork loin chinese take out style:.  Have you made this? You seem to like Bok choy, which is a good vegetable, particularly with vinegar and garlic sauce.

Nope never have made that. Bok choy is amazing with oyster sauce and minced garlic.

On 5/17/2020 at 6:22 PM, Enrico_sw said:

These types of sauces are for meat (typically veal). Well, I guess one of the best solutions would be to do a black pepper sauce with mushrooms.

You cook your mushrooms (cut them in relatively small pieces), then add your meat. A the end of the cooking, you add some Cognac and you flame it. When the flames are done, you add the demi-glace sauce that you have already mixed with black pepper. Let it cook for 1 or 2 minutes, then it's done.

ah, thanks.  Seems pretty easy and straightforward then

On 5/22/2020 at 11:30 AM, Cult Icon said:

@CandleVixen  do you have a recipe for cake from scratch?  Non-chocolate cake that is.  The oatmeal cookie recipe was a standard one, I used quick oats as a base.

Sadly no. My box of favorite recipes got lost in a move.

Thats what the internet is for! :D

I tried some dirt cheap (85 cent) box mixes with a focus on chocolate.

Baker's Choice Brownies (4 large eggs, 1/2 cup butter):  Poor quality cocoa, resembling that of cheap hot chocolate.  I took it out several times until 1:25.  It started out tasting like poor quality chocolate cake and eventually become quarter-way to tasting like an actual brownie.  1.5 out of 5.-  edible but only if your fridge is empty.

Baker's Choice (ALDI) Devil's Food Cake modified into a Mocha cake (5 large eggs, 1/2 cup butter, 3 tablespoons instant coffee, 1 cup drip coffee):  Ended up to be pretty good, with a medium level coffee flavor.  Next time I will add more instant coffee into the mix.  I suspect that the coffee covered up the taste of the poor quality cocoa.  If I made it as a straight chocolate cake, it would have probably tasted like the "Brownies".   4 out of 5   

DH Orange (5 large eggs, 1/2 cup butter) :  Second time I baked it.  I didn't like it as much as the first run and could sense a very faint chemical aftertaste.  3.5 out of 5

4 hours ago, CandleVixen said:

Sadly no. My box of favorite recipes got lost in a move.

Thats what the internet is for! :D

ok.  there are too many recipes on youtube and the internet, it's information overload and I don't know which ones are good.  We still have a severe shortage of baking ingredients, and I haven't seen vanilla extract since COVID.

11 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

ok.  there are too many recipes on youtube and the internet, it's information overload and I don't know which ones are good.  We still have a severe shortage of baking ingredients, and I haven't seen vanilla extract since COVID.

Some of my favorite sites are from food companies, and others like Just A Pinch, A Taste of Home,  All Recipes, and Food Network. One of my favorite guys on Food is Alton Brown. I have the first two Good Eats books. 

4 minutes ago, Matt! said:

Looks really good. Crumb cake tastes great and like the texture!

This is the most simple crumb cake I think.  Just a yellow box cake and minimum ingredients for the crumbs.  Brown sugar is something that I haven't seen sold in a while.  My own supply is depleted.

This one could end up being just good enough-

whipped cream instead of butter (I can confirm that this excerpt is from the baking book)

https://food52.com/blog/23706-whipped-cream-in-cakes-one-ingredient-hack-change-the-way-you-bake

my next experiment with box cakes:

1. yellow pudding cake with cinnamon crumbs based on yellow box cake + 1/4 cup butter + 1/4 cup heavy cream + 1/2 cup sour cream + 5.1 oz. vanilla pudding powder

2. yellow pudding cake with cinnamon swirls based on yellow box cake + 1/4 cup butter + 1/4 cup heavy cream + 1/2 cup sour cream + 5.1 oz. vanilla pudding powder

https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/snickerdoodle-cake/

My concern is that this will be a super heavy cake, like a bund cake and the texture will be too soggy.  Also, another concern is the possibility of excessive sweetness.

I will also separate the eggs (5 for each cake) from their yolks and turn the egg whites into foam and add them at the end of the process, mixing them with the whipped cream to maximize the air pockets.

Not sure if I should add flour- either 1/2 cup or 1 cup