Bellazon

Leonardo DiCaprio - (Please Read First Post Prior to Posting)
Thumbnail

moiselles

Cute interview pix with Tom wearing the shirt with scene of Leo & him fighting on it 

Barbie

Tks for many vids & JJ pix of Leo entering the Revenant Q&A  :biggrin:

Jade

Tks for article & assorted pix ; I agree , he is adorable :stormy:

Fash

Tks for  HR pix :biggrin:

Now people are wondering how The Revenant will perform against Hateful 8 because H8 is getting good reviews. There's a week difference, but hopefully when The Revenant opens it comes in ahead of H8. But the Main thing is the film performing well on its own and less about comparing with other films. It doesn't need to put up big numbers for me to be OK with the BO results, just as long as it doesn't bomb/dissapointment. 

In regards to that Forbes article, with the headline that they hope Leo never wins an Oscar. I get the point and it's flattering to Leo. But whether Leo wins an Oscar or not I don't think it'll really impact the kinds of films he choses to make. What I believe truly drives Leo is a desire to produce "great art" winning an Oscar won't diminish that desire in Leo, I don't think atleast. And it's not hard to believe because he's clearly very interested in art, period. So, ultimately that doesn't worry me at all. :) 

From David Wards Instagram. I personally haven't seen a commercial or billboard for this film yet in person 

image.jpeg

It's a very good film that is worthy of respect- the director pushed boundaries and challenged his actors.   But at the same time, a miserable viewing experience- very depressing.  I don't think it pushes any favorable political buttons for award season.  Maybe he'll win.  Maybe he won't- any other contenders?

@Cult Icon too early to know if he'll win. :) But based on the precursor awards it seems the other contenders are Fassbender, Redmayne and Cranston. And for me i wont rule out Dano for sure until I see that he's not nominated as lead actor at the Oscars. Technically right now leo is seen as the front runner by many people, but in the past at this time of the year the early front runner doesn't always end up winning the Oscar. I can think of many recent examples.

The Revenant's overall reception so far hasn't really met the high expectations, but most of the movies that are getting the most buzz tend to have female leads or actors that play supporting roles, so that's good. Leo's main competitors movies receptions have been bordering on mixed.Except maybe Damon, but I have a hard time seeing him being a huge threat but who knows. Anything can happen. So hopefully Leo's film not being a 90% or higher rated film won't make an impact.

Also there's this whole narrative of Leo being overdue and a lot of people want him to win, but it doesn't mean the Academy will care about all that or share that sentiment. Hopefully they consider his performance better than the rest, and hopefully they will reward him if they do.  All we can do is wait, which is hard.

Steph,

IMHO the quality of the film (which is very good, albeit very niche/non-political) shouldn't be that big of an issue.  A lot of best actor winners get it for good (and often not great) movies that don't have wide appeal.  Denzel Washington comes to mind- he won it for Training Day while many would say that he should've won it for Malcolm X.  Charlize won it for her role in "Monster".

The thing with Dicaprio's role is that it isn't based around charisma like his usual roles but rather more in terms of physical/emotive acting (the pain of loss, physical misery, and vengence).  However, the majority of his acting taps the first two rather than the third.   This may swing things into his favor but at the same time, his good acting was not really staggeringly memorable because the character itself is not written to be charismatic/deeply fascinating in nature.

Cute vid of Leo saying "Hi" as he signs autographs at premiere  

Cute story , Leo plays photographer for the day, I would have loved to have seen Leo standing on  the chair angling to get just the right pix for the ladies :D

Fash  & Jade

Tks for more pix :D