Bellazon

Football

goose

astronomer, you should be more proud of Canada's footballing heritage. I was a witness to the Rogers Sports coverage of the last World Cup and was in awe of the articulate punditry of former Ipswich Town goalkeeper Craig Forrest. They may always struggle at playing the game well, but Canada to me is the world champion of rational, thoughtful football commentary.

All in the same week that Lukas Podolski gave Michael Ballack a slap! Großartig!

Good for Porto, great for "football in general". Nice to see Man Utd concede a late goal for a change, usually they manage to sneak in a few during the obligatory six minutes of added time they get when things aren't going so well.

I like Crouch, I had a flick through his autobiography once which is called, fittingly, Walking Tall. He says nice things about Villa, makes knowing comments towards his looks being for an er, 'acquired taste' and generally seems a happy boy who's grateful for his lovely life. I'd rank it just below the literary treasure that is Totally Frank, the moving story of Francis Lampard, Jnr., and the defiant, tough as nails My Defense by Cashley Cole.

All jesting aside, I don't like football autobiographies, even if they're characters from the days when football was played professionally by chronic alcoholics and fat, sideburn clad smokers. In fact, they're worse because they're always so depressing, which makes for an honest read, but one that's hard on the stomach. Paul McGrath's book is a good example. I love the guy and appreciate the candidness he brings but to read account after account of his woes is bordering on torture.