Bellazon

2020 SI Swimsuit

I got the issue in the mail today, and this is a fragile sorry excuse for a print magazine. Cheap as hell and depending on the mail carrier you have will probably disintegrate the moment they put it into your mail box.

On 7/21/2020 at 7:19 PM, Memento Mori said:

But actual stakeholders aren't terribly impressed by any of this, if they're even paying attention in the first place. It's closer to those corporate diversity initiatives than, for example, anything actual transgender activists are asking for (such as, I dunno, protection from employment or housing discrimination). The impression I've gotten from those I know is, "okay, that's nice, I guess?"

Stakeholders (& Twitter activists) are never content. Most of them only want to subdue powerful folks (the "cause" being a cover-up).

As for the real people (whatever their gender, orientations, origins, etc.), they don't care about activists and gurus (that they never chose or voted for), they just want to enjoy nice pictures of pretty women in swimsuits, without being lectured by multi-million dollar corporations or anonymous bullies on twitter. Unfortunately for us, the little guys, it's 2020, the year where vocal bullies reign supreme.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32614222/

On 7/21/2020 at 7:19 PM, Memento Mori said:

I bet, though, that both SI and their advertisers are each paying a lot of money to consultants who tell them this is real activism.

Yes, I'm sure they did.

1 hour ago, Enrico_sw said:

Stakeholders (& Twitter activists) are never content. Most of them only want to subdue powerful folks (the "cause" being a cover-up).

As for the real people (whatever their gender, orientations, origins, etc.), they don't care about activists and gurus (that they never chose or voted for), they just want to enjoy nice pictures of pretty women in swimsuits, without being lectured by multi-million dollar corporations or anonymous bullies on twitter. Unfortunately for us, the little guys, it's 2020, the year where vocal bullies reign supreme.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32614222/

I'm not going to get into dueling studies on the hot girl message board, as an academic myself I know that's literally an endless proposition (for non-academics: it's our job to argue with each other about everything, so if you want to find at least one (1) paper that confirms your priors on any issue, you can); but I'm going to remark that "stakeholders and Twitter activists are never content," and that they're just narcissists or psychopaths, could only be true if they are all qualitatively different -- apart from the platforms they use -- than historical activists who sought and achieved meaningful reform, and my reading of history suggests that's just obviously not true. But sure trans people, who could have been fired for cause until several weeks ago in the States, "reign supreme," that makes sense.

Anyway my semi-annual cameo in this thread has definitely run its course.

11 hours ago, Memento Mori said:

But sure trans people, who could have been fired for cause until several weeks ago in the States, "reign supreme," that makes sense.

Since you are an academic, you will surely read over what I wrote and realize that I didn't talk about trans people. I talked about loud voices, activists and bullies on twitter (and in the media). I specifically distinguished the common folks (including trans) from the activists. I said the "real people (whatever their gender, orientations, origins, etc.)" don't follow the activists and gurus. Trans people never elected the activists as their spokespersons.

Assimilating trans people to the activists is precisely what the activists want. BTW, I didn't try to engage in an argument. I was just giving my opinion.

if they are all qualitatively different -- apart from the platforms they use -- than historical activists who sought and achieved meaningful reform, and my reading of history suggests that's just obviously not true.

Well, my reading of history suggests that historical activists acted based on a fair view of a social contract (inspired by people like Rousseau or Voltaire). They sought freedom, solidarity and equality (of opportunity).

Today's activists hate freedom, they divide people into groups (which is, by essence, against solidarity), they preach for equality of outcome (a doctrine which has led to many disasters in the past).

Very different principles. Very different type of activists.

that they're just narcissists or psychopaths,

I didn't say they were all psychopaths/narcissists. I said "Most of them only want to subdue powerful folks" and I quoted a study that say that people with triad personalities now use victimhood techniques. That doesn't mean there aren't any victims in the world. That's precisely not the point. The point is that some wolves are disguised as sheeps.