Bellazon

UEFA Euro 2016

Stromboli1

19 hours ago, jj3 said:

That 2 goals from Iceland are pretty worrying.

Whether you can read much into the goals France conceded, I'm not too sure. They'd already shifted focus after helping themselves to a comfortable lead. I hope they'll have the confidence to attack Germany with the same vibrancy. When the two sides met at the World Cup, Deschamps left all thoughts of positivity until the last ten minutes and was punished for it.

Iceland have produced lasting memories on the pitch and from the stands. As sad as it is to see them go home, they can do so with heads held high.

:clap::clap::clap:

On 7/3/2016 at 11:11 AM, Frederick said:

Van Gogh cut off his own ear because he had a premonition that Martin Keown would one day be a co-commentator. 

If there's one good thing about our TV coverage of international tournaments, it's that the presence of sensible and intelligent pundits really shows up the ones who aren't up to scratch. And while Keown, Giggs, Crouch and Savage have all been dreadful, Glenn Hoddle remains my pick of the clowns. During England-Iceland, he spent an hour banging on about how Jamie Vardy should have started the game and saying that he’d make something happen regardless of a lack of space. Barely ten minutes after Vardy's eventual introduction, Glenn was forced to concede (rather miserably) that he'd made no impact because there was indeed no space to operate in. Messrs Bilic, Vialli and Lehmann just seem to exist on a higher plane.

On 03/07/2016 at 2:22 PM, SympathysSilhouette said:

Overall I thought this tournament was pretty poor and I struggle to think of a game I might remember ten years from now.

Most international tournaments have at least a couple of those, imho.

2014: Germany-Brazil, Holland-Spain, Mexico-Brazil for being a thoroughly entertaining 0-0, Belgium-USA

2012: Spain-Italy, Italy-Germany, Croatia-Spain

2010: Germany-England, Germany-Argentina,

2008: Holland-Italy, Holland-France, Russia-Holland

2006: Germany-Italy, Portugal-Holland (more for its hilarious, crazy nature), France-Brazil

2004: Holland-Czech Republic, Portugal-England, France-England

2002: South-Korea's entire run, Brazil-England

2000: So many games, perhaps the best tournament that I can remember

Not much could sway me from the opinion that Euro 2000 was the best in recent memory. A blockbusting array of some of the greatest attacking talent of all time (Zidane, Figo, Nedved and Bergkamp to name a few) at their peak.

The 1998 World Cup delivered some truly stunning knockout games (Argentina-England, Argentina-Holland, Brazil-Holland, Brazil-Denmark), although I remember the groups being fairly pedestrian. Thinking about it now, I've a bit of a soft spot for 2002 as well. South Korea's run to the semi-finals has since led to some seeing it as inauthentic, but it was probably the first tournament to feel truly global. I loved seeing teams from North America, Asia and Africa in the last eight.

Wales will go home as one of the teams of the tournament, but they went out with a bit of a whimper in the end. Crying shame that Ramsey was unavailable to them, he would have made all the difference to their forward play.

For the first time in this tournament, I was actually quite impressed by Portugal. Despite the bashing they got from ITV's rogues gallery before the game, they pressed effectively, defended as a unit and took their chances. Ronaldo's header was a ridiculous feat of skill and physicality, he nutted the ball harder than the majority of players could have kicked it. :laugh:

I'm going for France.

I know the Confederations Cup is meaningless, but I don't want Portugal to get an automatic berth next year if Germany wins today.

It would be so Portugal if they got an automatic spot without even playing. :laugh:

16 minutes ago, Sanni said:

There won’t be one. I suppose that’s because the players would not be as motivated anymore.

You're right that there isn't one and hasn't been one since 1980. :rofl:

18 minutes ago, peroxideblonde said:

France beated Germany thanks to Italy tbh :rofl:  the final should have been Portugal vs Italy

rooting for Portugal

Probably true. I think Italy would've beaten both teams with how they played yesterday.

The Earth won't be able to handle the strain of CR7's ego and would spontaneously combust if Portugal won.