Bellazon

UEFA Euro 2016

Stromboli1

On 20/02/2016 at 6:22 PM, Stromboli1 said:

I will. Russian fans have BBO and stunk up a train I was on in Rio. It was a very unpleasant experience. :yucky:

I'd love to tell you that English fans are all sweet-smelling types, but the reality is almost certainly a bit different. :laugh:

England and Wales should be box office material. Hodgson has England playing more efficiently these days, although no one of note in Europe is looking at us as a genuine threat and, I suppose you'd have to say, rightly so. Wales on the other hand seem to be on the up and up, to see them play the way they did against Belgium in the qualifiers, and to hold off the rest of the group was really quite remarkable. Given the way the tournament is structured this year, it shouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility for them to reach the quarters if Bale and Ramsey stay fit.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Roy's England squad more or less as expected, then. At first glance it's a group with good potential, but one that in recent months has shown an alarming lack of form (Rooney, Stones, Sterling, Delph, Lallana), fitness (Sturridge, Wilshere, Henderson), motivation (Barkley), self control (Vardy, Drinkwater, Alli, Dier), and composure under pressure (Spurs). I'd like to be proved wrong, but I suspect that we'll once again be found out in the early going, although we may have enough up front this time to make up for some of the obvious deficiencies elsewhere.

30 minutes ago, Michael* said:

Roy's England squad more or less as expected, then. At first glance it's a group with good potential, but one that in recent months has shown an alarming lack of form (Rooney, Stones, Sterling, Delph, Lallana), fitness (Sturridge, Wilshere, Henderson), motivation (Barkley), self control (Vardy, Drinkwater, Alli, Dier), and composure under pressure (Spurs). I'd like to be proved wrong, but I suspect that we'll once again be found out in the early going, although we may have enough up front this time to make up for some of the obvious deficiencies elsewhere.

Why doesn't England have more innovative managers? England should be able to do better than Hodgson as manager imo.

I think England has potential for a semi final run. I think it all depends on the knockout path/draw & Hodgson.

46 minutes ago, Stromboli1 said:

Why doesn't England have more innovative managers? England should be able to do better than Hodgson as manager imo.

I think England has potential for a semi final run. I think it all depends on the knockout path/draw & Hodgson.

As much as I'd love for an England manager to eschew tradition completely and stop naming over-hyped duffers like Rooney in the squad, I think for the most part, you'd have to say that the realistic alternatives are no better or worse than the ones who got in. There are some whose inclusion you could obviously make a case for, like Noble, Carrick, Baines or Jagielka, but whether or not any of those four would make a vast difference to the squad's performance, I would have my doubts. Genuine 'outside the box' options are fairly thin on the ground, too. Michail Antonio should probably have been given a chance by now, and I would certainly have had Jermain Defoe in there ahead of Rooney and Rashford. Then again, I suppose I would say that. :laugh:

• 3 weeks later...

Not only are the following players still alive, they're all still playing and will be taking part in Euro 2016.

Razvan Rat

Robbie Keane

Anatoliy Tymoshchuk

Ricardo Carvalho

Tomas Rosicky

Dario Srna

Eidur Gudjohnsen

Zoltan Gera

:oh_no:

On 07/06/2016 at 0:45 AM, Stromboli1 said:

The Zlatan & Gigi will be mine! Holy shit, I lucked out and these are really good damn seats. :fap:

Nice. The chance to bask in the reflected glory of the one and only Ibra. :thumbsup:

26 minutes ago, jj3 said:

I'm existed about the EURO now ! Opening game on Friday evenig, vs Romania, great game ahead !

For once i trust my team, i hope everything will be ok :tf:

France look a formidable side this year. Their first eleven was solid at the World Cup, and they've had even more good options emerge in the two years since. It's a squad that could easily peak at just the right time. :yes:

^ I'm not 100% for the defense, but Lloris is the goalkeeper of the best defense of the english championship ... so we shall see. Evra is going to be the leader of the defense, we can count on his experince i think. But the strong point of this team is the offensive side, it looks impressive so far... We shall see what happen, with the pression of the first game, and well, to play the comp' at home too ... But we won the WC here in '98, so ... 

I suppose the question will be whether or not Koscielny and Mangala are able to quickly form a partnership in the unfortunate absence of Varane. Sagna and Evra are two of the best full-backs of the Premier League era, and while they're undoubtedly getting older, they should be fairly reliable and bring experience. Shame about Diarra too, although a midfield of Pogba, Matuidi and Kante sounds pretty decent. Can't imagine Schneiderlin being involved much after playing like most of the players who've left Southampton recently. :pinch: